Interesting infield defensive metrics article

Tony-OH

To me, all this article really showed was that even if you have great range and a great arm, you still need to avoid making a ton of errors.    It took a long time to say that, but that’s the gist.   

Tatis made 18 errors in 82 starts.    Ergo, the advanced metrics didn’t look good, even though he made a lot of eye-popping plays.    Makes sense to me.     

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

I think Tatis is the kinda guy who makes a Lamar Jackson type turn around next year. First year gets gutted by critics and second year becomes MVP because he worked hard in the off season.

Exciting player. Anxious to see the work he does.

Dude finished third in ROY despite only playing 84 games.  Who exactly is "gutting him"?  That Fangraphs article seemed pretty even handed to me.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I did.  It seems pretty even handed to me.

What about it did you think was overly critical?

I didn’t say it was overly critical. It’s objectively critical. Several snippets in there about his defense:

But there’s no way around it: Tatis is bad at fielding in a way that errors explain perfectly.”

”If Tatis committed throwing errors at a league average rate, he would have made between five and six last year. That’s eight or nine extra outs, which would make him an unremarkable shortstop instead of a disastrous one.”

”He’s not turning remote chances into errors, in other words; he’s taking essentially league average plays and chucking them into the stands.”

There are many other quotes in here that are critical of his defense. I stated that he’s like Lamar Jackson; the kind of player who will silence his critics by working hard in the offseason and become MVP.

1 minute ago, Enjoy Terror said:

I dunno what “disastrous” means to you but I didn’t think it was kind.

I agree it wasn't kind. 

If you aren't kind it means you gutted someone?

They also said " At times, Fernando Tatis Jr. is an absolutely incredible fielder."," The speed, presence of mind, and arm strength needed to turn that ball into an out are simply breathtaking.", " If you needed proof that Tatis is a sparkling defender, there it is.", " Fernando Tatis Jr. is one of the most exciting players in baseball.", and "he’s capable of greatness. His highs are extremely high."

I think the rebuke was fair.