Connolly: As fans, would you be OK with your team cheating if it meant winning a World Series title?

Moose Milligan

As fans, would you be OK with your team cheating if it meant winning a World Series title?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. As fans, would you be OK with your team cheating if it meant winning a World Series title?

After reading some of these posts it is clear to me why the society is in the shape it is.  Apparently the crime to some folks is not to cheat, but to get caught.  And while laws change, right and wrong do not.  That is why the Creator put a conscience in people, to tell them right from wrong, not the State telling us what it is on certain days of the week..  

• Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Someone is always the example. They were warned. Yeah, it wasn't written down and the punishment wasn't written down. Oh well.  

Oh well.

Exactly.

Oh well.

If the Yankees had done what the Astros did do you think they would have received the same punishment?

Maybe you do.  I don't.  And we won't ever know because, oh well they just make it up as they go along.

The fans are just as bad.  Bonds uses steroids, the world is ending, Colon uses steroids, oh look at the fat man getting busted for steroids.  That Gaylord Perry is such a character openly cheating, let's put him in the HoF.  Oh Clemens used steroids, no hall for him, we have moral standards.

It's random and no way to run a league.

21 minutes ago, Oriole1940 said:

After reading some of these posts it is clear to me why the society is in the shape it is.  Apparently the crime to some folks is not to cheat, but to get caught.  And while laws change, right and wrong do not.  That is why the Creator put a conscience in people, to tell them right from wrong, not the State telling us what it is on certain days of the week..  

Interesting, I'd like to know what the conscience of people was in the 1700s and 1800s when they owned slaves.  Even up through the 50s and 60s when there were separate bathrooms for blacks and whites and blacks couldn't play in the MLB, I'm sure everything was peachy keen cause Leave it to Beaver was on TV.   Was society in better shape than it is now, or are things just different, tech is moving at a rapid pace and you're scared?

17 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Who is more sanctimonious and hypocritical than the NFL?  They are doing just fine.

Who's more sanctimonious than the NFL?  Easy.

3000.jpg?width=700&quality=85&auto=forma

Bono.  When it comes to someone being more sanctimonious than anyone else, the answer is always Bono.

Carry on.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, maybenxtyr said:

I voted "yes" because I guess there's different levels of cheating. Sign stealing has been a part of baseball since the beginning. Pitchers cheat every day with various ways to get an edge.

I still don't care if players used steroids. If you are willing to potentially shorten your life then that's on the players. I think some people give athletes far more credit than they deserve.

PEDs are different.  Probably 75%+ of players used them, and the league both willfully ignored and tacitly endorsed it.  Bud's shock about those seemingly good boys taking those awful drugs reminded me of someone's elderly aunt being bowled over by teenagers these days drinking beer and having premarital sex.  Oh goodness, that doesn't happen, does it?  Bud was more than fine with it right up to the point it had the potential to hurt his bottom line instead of enhancing it.

15 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Interesting, I'd like to know what the conscience of people was in the 1700s and 1800s when they owned slaves.  Even up through the 50s and 60s when there were separate bathrooms for blacks and whites and blacks couldn't play in the MLB, I'm sure everything was peachy keen cause Leave it to Beaver was on TV.   Was society in better shape than it is now, or are things just different, tech is moving at a rapid pace and you're scared?

Who's more sanctimonious than the NFL?  Easy.

3000.jpg?width=700&quality=85&auto=forma

Bono.  When it comes to someone being more sanctimonious than anyone else, the answer is always Bono.

Carry on.

No one does sanctimonious like Bono, and I will love U2 until the day I die.  In any case, are you really that sure that rock n' roll won't save the world?

Just now, DrungoHazewood said:

No one does sanctimonious like Bono, and I will love U2 until the day I die.  In any case, are you really that sure that rock n' roll won't save the world?

Well, I'm pretty positive.  But I'm sure if you were able to ask him, he'd tell you different.  That is, if you could get him down from his cross.

1 minute ago, NCRaven said:

Greta Thunburg.

Hey, it's one thing to rag on an over the hill, holier than though douchebag rockstar who's been irrelevant for a few years.  It's another thing to bring up someone who's somewhat polarizing in news and politics today.  It's my fault for baiting Drungo (did you see how he couldn't resist? it was awesome) and getting off course here, but let's not go down this rabbit hole any further and get this thing closed.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Hey, it's one thing to rag on an over the hill, holier than though douchebag rockstar who's been irrelevant for a few years.  It's another thing to bring up someone who's somewhat polarizing in news and politics today.  It's my fault for baiting Drungo (did you see how he couldn't resist? it was awesome) and getting off course here, but let's not go down this rabbit hole any further and get this thing closed.

Yeah, I shouldn't be picking on kids.

On 1/29/2020 at 11:04 AM, Moose Milligan said:

Dan Connolly over at @TonySoprano's favorite website, The Athletic, posed the question in the title.  It's not really a great piece of journalism or anything, he just wanted to see what people would say.  Most people said no, some said yes.  If you've got an Athletic subscription, it's worth checking out.

Anyway, I'm opening it up as a poll/discussion here.  I figure what most of you will say is "no," just curious to see if there are any dissenters.

Look how many players have cheated? A corked bat. Doctored baseballs. Pine tar on a bat. Drugs used by some players. I don’t like cheating. But to smear the Astros when there are other ways players or teams have cheated. Being an Astros fan in Texas doesn’t excuse cheating I suppose but I think there have always been cheating since baseball began. 

Edited by Tx Oriole
Leaving off word at end of sentence
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ArtVanDelay said:

I’ll take championships with asterisks over 110 loss seasons.

Seriously, no cheating.  Ever. The soupy broth of moral relativism is awash with well-intentioned do-gooders whose basic mistake was entertaining the notion that "maybe" is a supportable, ethical stance.

There is right and there is wrong.  Wrong is always wrong.

5 hours ago, jjnono said:

Seriously, no cheating.  Ever. The soupy broth of moral relativism is awash with well-intentioned do-gooders whose basic mistake was entertaining the notion that "maybe" is a supportable, ethical stance.

There is right and there is wrong.  Wrong is always wrong.

No politics.