O's claim Travis Lakins, DFA Stevie Wilkerson

interloper

18 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

DFA a low spin rate pitcher(Kline) for a high spin rate pitcher(Lakins). 

Mason Williams is here if we lose Wilkerson.

Elias is working the waiver wire. That’s now 15/40 of the 40 man roster that have been acquired by Elias from outside the organization since Elias has been here. 

How many of those 15 will make it through the season. 

10 minutes ago, atomic said:

How many of those 15 will make it through the season. 

Bold = Elias

Projected OD roster,

Means, Cobb, Wojo, Stewart, Bailey

Givens, Castro, Bleier, Scott, Harvey, Hess, Armstrong, Rucker

Smith, Hays, Santander

Ruiz, Iglesias, Alberto, Mancini, Nunez, Severino 

Davis, Urena, Williams, Sisco

12/26 in a year. 15/40. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Bold = Elias

Projected OD roster,

Means, Cobb, Wojo, Stewart, Bailey

Givens, Castro, Bleier, Scott, Harvey, Hess, Armstrong, Rucker

Smith, Hays, Santander

Ruiz, Iglesias, Alberto, Mancini, Nunez, Severino 

Davis, Urena, Williams, Sisco

12/26 in a year. 15/40. 

I’m not so sure about Smith, I think he’s very likely to be replaced by somebody else, although I’m not sure who might have the leg up.

Not sold on Hess or Scott either.Their options status might change things a little bit, but those are definitely two bullpen guys on the bubble.

Finally, although it could go either way, I wouldn’t be at all surprised if Sisco Doesn’t make the team out of camp.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

As you know, I never thought that was the likely outcome.    Needless to say, if Wilkerson remains in the organization he still has a chance to win a roster spot.

1)   Wilkerson probably gets claimed.

2) I have no idea who plays 2nd base if Alberto does not hit vs righties.

3) Neither 1 or 2 makes any difference if the O's want to lose in 2020.

6 hours ago, 7Mo said:

Was #15 on the Red Sox prospects list as of March 2019:

The righty is not really the type of reliever we’ve gotten used to around the league over the last few years. Instead of pairing a huge fastball and a devastating breaking ball, Lakins boasts four pitches that could be average or better. One of those is a big fastball that can get up to the upper-90s in shorter stints. Beyond that he throws both a cutter and a slider, which share similar movement but come in at different speeds, as well as a curveball and a changeup that may be scrapped. The repertoire was never the issue for starting, and it carries over to his relief profile. However, the arsenal is not a finished product, as he needs to work on commanding all of his pitches in any situation.

https://www.overthemonster.com/2019/3/15/18266925/red-sox-top-prospects-travis-lakins-bullpen-depth

He’s still showing on the Red Sox 30 (#23) on MLB. Here’s what they had to say. My guess is he slots somewhere in our top 30

They acknowledge the team change but haven’t moved him yet.

Travis Lakins | Rank: 23 (Preseason: 17)

Team: Baltimore OriolesETA: 2019Position: RHPAge: 25 DOB: 06/29/1994Bats: R Throws: RHeight: 6' 1" Weight: 180 lb.Drafted: 2015, 6th (171) - BOS

Scouting grades: Fastball: 55 | Cutter: 60 | Curveball: 55 | Changeup: 50 | Control: 45 | Overall: 40

Lakins has shown some of the best stuff in the system ever since the Red Sox made him the first pitcher they selected in the 2015 Draft and signed him for an over-slot $320,000 in the sixth round. But he saw his first two pro seasons end prematurely because of a recurring stress fracture in his elbow and also missed the first three weeks of the 2018 season. Boston shifted him to the bullpen in order to keep him healthy, and he not only stayed on the mound but also posted the best numbers of his career.

Lakins had four legitimate pitches as a starter but focuses on two as a reliever. His upper-80s cutter is his bread and butter, and he plays it off a 92-95 mph fastball that can hit 97 with some modest life. His downer curveball showed flashes of becoming a plus offering when he used it more in the past season, and his fading changeup had its moments as well.

Working in shorter stints, Lakins demonstrates better control and command than he did as a starter. He has a strong, athletic frame and a sound delivery, so he should be durable, but the Red Sox didn't have him pitch on consecutive days in 2018. He proved he could handle a heavier bullpen workload this year and made his big league debut in April.

INT

TeamWLERAGGSSVIPHHRBBKAVGWHIPGO/AO

PAW (AAA)344.60401645.04642342.2641.530.69

Minors344.60401645.0

This appears to be a good move

http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2019?list=bos

• Upvote 1