Mason Williams has a chance to be an OD starter

wildcard

1 hour ago, mdbdotcom said:

The Chris Davis Show will be back on the air in just a few weeks and we'll be able to see exactly how little of the advice he was given by Hyde and Elias he actually put into action. P&C report next Tuesday, so I expect he'll be making his first stop at the gym tomorrow sometime. 

Seems like all threads eventually lead back to Davis.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I’ll let you know what I think about that at the end of 2020.     In the ideal world:

- Hays has stayed healthy and has proven he can be the everyday CF.

- Mountcastle has played most of the season in the majors, put up good offensive numbers and finds a spot where he plays respectable defense.   

- Diaz has progressed through AAA and either has debuted or looks ready to debut in the majors.

- Akin has spent much of the year in the rotation and performed respectably.   

- Means and Cobb are healthy and productive.   

- Kremer, Zimmermann, Lowther, Wells and Baumann have had good seasons at Norfolk and either have debuted or look ready to do so.

- We get some contributions from some of the pitchers we picked up this winter.   

- Some of the bullpen guys come through with better seasons.   

- Hall and/or Rodriguez have big years and look like they could be ready sometime in 2021 if needed.

- Rutschman progresses as hoped and looks ready to contribute in 2021.

Once I see how those things go in 2020, I’ll have an opinion on whether I expect the team to be significantly better in 2021.    

I'm interested to see how Alvarado and Muckenhirn do at AAA.   Tony likes Klimek who may start at AA but could be promoted to AAA if he gets off to a good start to the season.

3 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Much ado about nothing.  

You can pretty much say this about every "battle" this year, but we gotta talk about something! 

IF, and this remains a huge IF since it seems like Elias is planning on or is forced to ride out Davis' contract (perhaps in the hopes he get hurts or retires to save any semblance of his reputation left), Davis is released, then yes, he has just as much chance of starting in LF as an any current option of Santander is in RF and Hays in CF. I actually think Williams is a decent option as a 4th outfielder if he's able to hit effectively when not playing regularly because of his defensive versatility.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I'm interested to see how Alvarado and Muckenhirn do at AAA.   Tony likes Klimek who may start at AA but could be promoted to AAA if he gets off to a good start to the season.

I wish I had spin rates on his fastball and curveball then I'd feel even better about liking Klime, but he is one of my sleeper candidates this year no doubt.

So I know this is based on Davis doing poorly and Mancini moving to first. 

Is there any indication they are moving Davis anywhere or that Mancini was instructed to get more time practicing 1B?  Or is this simply hoping that Davis gets released?

I would imagine that Smith/Williams/player tbd is more a battle for the 4th OF spot. 

35 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

If we don't hand out an MLB contract to a SP, then why not use it to sign Cameron Maybin?  Good depth and could be swung as a trade chip later.

Gotta imagine Maybin gets a major league contract from a much better team. He's a solid 4th outfielder.

Having Mason Williams and Valaika in the fold, made Wilkerson expendable. I really like Williams. He’s RH, can run a bit, has some pop, and can play CF. He seemed like a fluid athlete out there. 

I think Williams in Leblanc are going to make the OD roster. Phillips, Sulser, and Carroll will need to have good ST, or they will get DFA’d. 

7 hours ago, higgybaby said:

You know, I never thought about this before but is Wil Myers a good Comp for Mountcastle?

Well, he’s not a terrible comp, but he has better plate discipline and was much more highly regarded as a minor leaguer (he was ranked as high as no. 4 in the BA 100 and was ranked 10th and 28th before that).    Yet, he’s been somewhat disappointing in the majors, posting a career 107 OPS+ to date.    I’d be disappointed if that was where Mountcastle landed, despite his lower ranking as a prospect.    

On 2/4/2020 at 10:12 AM, Frobby said:

Well, he’s not a terrible comp, but he has better plate discipline and was much more highly regarded as a minor leaguer (he was ranked as high as no. 4 in the BA 100 and was ranked 10th and 28th before that).    Yet, he’s been somewhat disappointing in the majors, posting a career 107 OPS+ to date.    I’d be disappointed if that was where Mountcastle landed, despite his lower ranking as a prospect.    

I don't think Mountcastle ends up more than a power hitter however so factoring in for the extra speed at the mlb level I can certainly see him ending up around a Myers level. Better, obviously, but I feel like Myers is similar to a lot of power bats where he just needs to get it all to "click".

To add, I feel Mountcastle has better swing action than Myers too.

If Mountcastle ends up Myers with some semblance of discipline I'll be ecstatic

Edited by MountUrCastle