Does The Cheating Scandal Keep Altuve Out Of The Hall Of Fame?

ORIOLE33

Not only that but he's put up phenomenal numbers and play fairly consistently.  He, nor Bregman should ever make it to the hall...and I'm not sure they will in the voting, but that veteran's committee has shown it is a crap shoot.  I love Harold Baines, always a nice and classy guy, but HOF worthy, he was not.  

I think he was on his way to the HOF prior to this.  His career has been pretty impressive to this point.....especially with the novelty of a guy his size putting up these numbers.  The numbers are there, the MVP in 2017, the walk off last year in the ALCS.  I think he was a HOF player even before the recent trend of electing very good players, but he definitely would have gotten in under the current trend. 

Now, this calls some of those things into question.  And I think it will hurt him in the voting when it comes time.  Same thing with Beltran when it is his time.  More than anything, I think the Astros just need the season to start and for games to happen.  It has to be terrible spending all this time anticipating what will happen in opposing ballparks, against opposing players, etc.  They just need to get out there and play and get the angst over with....

I think this season will play out like it did for the 2010-2011 Miami Heat.  Nothing but anger and hatred everywhere they go. 

It’s too soon to know if Altuve will have a great enough career to warrant serious HOF consideration, but it’s certainly possible at this point.    Assuming he does have that kind of career, yes I suspect the cheating scandal will affect enough voters to keep him out.    We’ll get an early test of this in January 2023 when Carlos Beltran is eligible for the first time.    

On 2/18/2020 at 2:13 PM, atomic said:

He is old and isn’t at Hall of Fame level yet.  I doubt he gets in.

Pre-scandal, he was a major part of the core of a baseball dynasty that won a Championship, went to Game 7 in another, and has the talent to go back again. He had an MVP, multiple All-Star appearances, and was over halfway to 3,000 hits. He's only 29.

It's still early, but if he keeps up his level of production for five+ seasons - he'd be in consideration. I think this scandal hurts him, but if he stays out of controversy from here on out, I think most people will be pretty forgiving in ten to fifteen years when he is eligible.

Raffy isn’t in, Altuve isn’t in.

And believe me, Raffy should  not be in.

Pete Rose made a very interesting claim, that if the Astros are not being punished, he should be reinstated. The issues are different, But Pete Rose was not cheating. He was gambling.

The idea that blatant cheating gets no punishment at all is so offensive it makes me ill, and every time Manfred whips out one of his BS comments on the subject it’s just worse.

22 hours ago, Mr. Chewbacca Jr. said:

Pre-scandal, he was a major part of the core of a baseball dynasty that won a Championship, went to Game 7 in another, and has the talent to go back again. He had an MVP, multiple All-Star appearances, and was over halfway to 3,000 hits. He's only 29.

It's still early, but if he keeps up his level of production for five+ seasons - he'd be in consideration. I think this scandal hurts him, but if he stays out of controversy from here on out, I think most people will be pretty forgiving in ten to fifteen years when he is eligible.

The scandal taints everything. Everything.

Every single award he won, and certainly every team success is tainted forever.

he used to be one of my favorites. Now he isn’t...

Just now, Philip said:

Pete Rose made a very interesting claim, that if the Astros are not being punished, he should be reinstated. The issues are different, But Pete Rose was not cheating. He was gambling.

The idea that blatant cheating gets no punishment at all is so offensive it makes me ill, and every time Manfred whips out one of his BS comments on the subject it’s just worse.

514eIlzfVDL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Perry%20Gaylord%20Plaque_NBL.png?itok=wZ

17 hours ago, Philip said:

It seemed like momentum was moving toward Pete Rose's reinstatement - until it came out that he dated an underage girl. 

5 minutes ago, Mr. Chewbacca Jr. said:

It seemed like momentum was moving toward Pete Rose's reinstatement - until it came out that he dated an underage girl. 

That was an unsubstantiated accusation, unless some hard evidence has surfaced. In the absence of any solid evidence, He gets benefit of doubt. But that’s irrelevant to the point though, Which is that known cheaters(with plenty of hard evidence) are literally being unpunished.