Davis. What do you see different with him?

BamaOsFan

6 hours ago, Enjoy Terror said:

His ABs are 5 hits, 1K, 3 outs. Six walks and two sac flies are not counted as at bats.

Duh.

Did you and, of all people, OFFNY, really think I didn't know that? Usually I use PA's (maybe a few hundred times on this board), but I wanted to stress the impressive ratio of walks and K's to at-bats. The problem is the preposition "in," but I couldn't find a better one to use and I was too busy to come up with a syntactic work-around.

Just now, jabba72 said:

ESPN has all his ST stats I believe his OPS was around .750 last year. Nothing great. 

Yes, with a .189 BA and strikeouts in almost half his plate appearances.    No question he’s looked much better in the early going this year.   

By the way, the quality of pitching Davis has seen isn’t too bad for this stage of spring training.    His OppQual is 7.9, a relatively high figure for this stage of the spring.     The way it’s calculated is by looking at the highest level reached by each pitcher he faces and calculating an average:

Major leagues - 10

AAA - 8

AA - 7

A+ - 5

A - 4

OppQual of 7.9 puts him in the top 15% or so on that measure.    Only Iglesias has a higher OppQual on the Orioles so far.   Of course, that measure goes up for all players as the spring progresses.   

47 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yes, with a .189 BA and strikeouts in almost half his plate appearances.    No question he’s looked much better in the early going this year.   

By the way, the quality of pitching Davis has seen isn’t too bad for this stage of spring training.    His OppQual is 7.9, a relatively high figure for this stage of the spring.     The way it’s calculated is by looking at the highest level reached by each pitcher he faces and calculating an average:

Major leagues - 10

AAA - 8

AA - 7

A+ - 5

A - 4

OppQual of 7.9 puts him in the top 15% or so on that measure.    Only Iglesias has a higher OppQual on the Orioles so far.   Of course, that measure goes up for all players as the spring progresses.   

Great Information

When you retire, you can get @Tony-OH to hire you for staffing here. :) :) :)

15 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

No doubt thats some great info Frobby, but its going to take some real games for me to be convinced. Maybe some launch angle numbers when they become available will help explain if Davis has improved. 

I think most of us understand.

But, go back to last season, if you arent doing great in ST, most likely you are not going to deal real in the regular season, unless its just rust and timing issues.

None of us, expect a return to what he was, when he was very good.

I would settle for above replacement level, which is more than we had the previous 2 seasons.

He could come out and have a career year, and some in OH, would still be unhappy and complaining about why he is on the roster.

30 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I think most of us understand.

But, go back to last season, if you arent doing great in ST, most likely you are not going to deal real in the regular season, unless its just rust and timing issues.

None of us, expect a return to what he was, when he was very good.

I would settle for above replacement level, which is more than we had the previous 2 seasons.

He could come out and have a career year, and some in OH, would still be unhappy and complaining about why he is on the roster.

I think if he comes back and does well, everyone here will be happy because that helps the orioles. He looks different this year, it's like he went into a time machine can 2015 Chrush came back. His approach is better than in years past. Last two years he looked awful at the plate during ST. He thinned out too. So we'll see. I wish we had statcast data, that way we could quantify what we're seeing because the naked eye can tell you only so much. 

3 hours ago, jabba72 said:

No doubt thats some great info Frobby, but its going to take some real games for me to be convinced. Maybe some launch angle numbers when they become available will help explain if Davis has improved. 

Oh, me too.    But as between:

1.   Davis will be good.

2.   Davis will be better than last year.

3.   Davis will be as bad as last year or worse.

I’m currently inclined towards (2).     The bar isn’t that high.