Davis. What do you see different with him?

BamaOsFan

Not that I've "seen" him that much, but he's hitting the ball to the opposite field, driving it to the opposite field. Not rolling over it into the shift. One of the first things he said in camp was he wanted "to let the ball travel." Give him an extra millescond to see it and trust his new-found muscle to carry it out. Seems to be working pretty well so far! *knockswood*

• Upvote 1

He's obviously carrying more mass than he has in the last year or two.  We shall see if it continues to have an effect during the regular season.  Also makes one wonder about the means that he got back this extra mass.   I guess we'll see how that works out as well.

It's early but the improvements are dramatic to say the least. I remain skeptical but adding that 25 pounds of muscle over one winter sure does seem to make a difference.

Wonder why he shrunk down so much after he got the big contract and after two years of being the worse player in major league history he suddenly gets back to looking like he used to a boom, home runs again. Weird.

• Upvote 4
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

It's early but the improvements are dramatic to say the least. I remain skeptical but adding that 25 pounds of muscle over one winter sure does seem to make a difference.

Wonder why he shrunk down so much after he got the big contract and after two years of being the worse player in major league history he suddenly gets back to looking like he used to a boom, home runs again. Weird.

This is where I'm at.  I haven't seen him either (thanks for broadcasting, like, 7 preseason games, MASN!).  But I'm curious as to why he'd ever want to go away from what made him successful in the first place.  Michael Jordan wouldn't have ever thought of getting away from a mid-range jump shot and driving to the basket.  Tom Brady wouldn't ever go away from quick intermediate passes.  Greg Maddux wouldn't have ever tried to jam batters instead of aiming for the low and outside corner and expanding the strikezone.

You get guys over the years who, as their skills erode, have to reinvent themselves and figure out new things to be successful.  You hardly ever get guys who decide to just do away with their bread and butter when they're in their prime.

The improvements do seem dramatic.  I remain skeptical as well, but in theory it all makes sense.  If he's gained some muscle, is letting the ball travel and is trying to hit it to the opposite field, that's a good approach.  Davis did a lot of damage to center and left/center when he was swinging well.  

Here's hoping it's a legit improvement.  This team would be infinitely more fun to watch if he's back to big power numbers.  It'd also be a big plus for the organization on the whole, that this is now an organization with the analytics, metrics, coaching, etc, that can get a player back on track/develop players.

15 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

This is where I'm at.  I haven't seen him either (thanks for broadcasting, like, 7 preseason games, MASN!).  But I'm curious as to why he'd ever want to go away from what made him successful in the first place.  Michael Jordan wouldn't have ever thought of getting away from a mid-range jump shot and driving to the basket.  Tom Brady wouldn't ever go away from quick intermediate passes.  Greg Maddux wouldn't have ever tried to jam batters instead of aiming for the low and outside corner and expanding the strikezone.

You get guys over the years who, as their skills erode, have to reinvent themselves and figure out new things to be successful.  You hardly ever get guys who decide to just do away with their bread and butter when they're in their prime.

The improvements do seem dramatic.  I remain skeptical as well, but in theory it all makes sense.  If he's gained some muscle, is letting the ball travel and is trying to hit it to the opposite field, that's a good approach.  Davis did a lot of damage to center and left/center when he was swinging well.  

Here's hoping it's a legit improvement.  This team would be infinitely more fun to watch if he's back to big power numbers.  It'd also be a big plus for the organization on the whole, that this is now an organization with the analytics, metrics, coaching, etc, that can get a player back on track/develop players.

He said he was hoping that losing the weight and being more flexible/agile would help him prolong his career. Seemed like he was scared of ending his career early because of his big frame/weight etc. Maybe he though it would break down his knees earlier or cause an injury? At his age one injury could do you in for your career if its tendons in the knee.

1 minute ago, Sir_Loin said:

He said he was hoping that losing the weight and being more flexible/agile would help him prolong his career. Seemed like he was scared of ending his career early because of his big frame/weight etc. Maybe he though it would break down his knees earlier or cause an injury? At his age one injury could do you in for your career if its tendons in the knee.

I get that, but you can still be flexible and have strength.  And, IMO, he was one of the better fielding first baseman around, he was plenty agile.  Just seems odd that he'd want to get away from strength when it's what landed him that big contract.

37 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Just needed to get back on PEDS, now all he has to do is fail a drug test and he is out for the year

• Downvote 4

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

He is swinging with his whole body, and I think he was shocked at how much his hip was impacting his ability to twist.

Sometimes when we lose something gradual, we dont notice the difference.

Personally, I think its a combination of things.

He was given a set of goals to accomplish over the off season, and apparently this has corrected one of the issue.

I say some of it is mental, you lose confidence in your own ability, maybe try to much, maybe over think things too much.

He is looking more like himself at the plate.

Is this permanent? Way to soon.

Wonder what happens, when during the regular season, he hits his first slump. Does it knock him off his confidence for the entire season???????

45 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I get that, but you can still be flexible and have strength.  And, IMO, he was one of the better fielding first baseman around, he was plenty agile.  Just seems odd that he'd want to get away from strength when it's what landed him that big contract.

Maybe this was the Brady touch?

He kept working with Tilly, and suddenly Tilly found out that it was too much conditioning, but by then too late.

I hate to play the Brady game, because I think he did a lot of good for the team, and the players.

But, we have to be honest and at least consider the possibility.

12 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Maybe this was the Brady touch?

He kept working with Tilly, and suddenly Tilly found out that it was too much conditioning, but by then too late.

I hate to play the Brady game, because I think he did a lot of good for the team, and the players.

But, we have to be honest and at least consider the possibility.

I don't know what Brady preached but I'd be shocked if it was anti-strength/muscle.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Davis did a lot of damage to center and left/center when he was swinging well.  

You know, I would have said this as well until I looked up his stats. He's been less and less pull happy since 2015 and his power his dropped as well.
           Pull %      HR
2015: 54.9%      47
2016: 40.6%      38
2017: 40.0%      26
2018:  37.6%     16 
2019:  36.8%     12

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1