For everyone begging for Teixeira

DC2Dallas

Exactly! Cabrera's POTENTIAL is no better than the POTENTIAL of Olson, Loewen, or Penn. The difference is that Cabrera hasn't put it together for three or four seasons in the majors, while the others have just now got here. I am so sick of hearing about Cabrera's potential. His POTENTIAL has lost us 9 games this year! Trade him for Tex YESTERDAY!

His potential is much better than that of Olson or Penn. It isn't even close. Now Olson and maybe Penn have much better odds of reaching their potential compared to Cabrera. But their ceilings aren't anywhere close to DCabs.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
His potential is much better than that of Olson or Penn. It isn't even close. Now Olson and maybe Penn have much better odds of reaching their potential compared to Cabrera. But their ceilings aren't anywhere close to DCabs.

You're missing my point. I was responding to the question..."would you trade somebody who "MAY do it" for someone who "IS doing it?" Cabrera, like Olson, Penn, and Loewen, MAY end up being great players. But Tex IS CURRENTLY a great player. And based on what I've seen of Cabrera, I just don't ever see him reaching his potential.

But to geschinger's point, why would Steinbrenner break the bank for Tex? Tex is the hometown guy that Angelos wants as the face of this franchise. In NY, he's just another All-Star first baseman...he's not A-Rod. I don't see Steinbrenner outbidding Angelos for Tex. Anyone else, yes, but not this player!
Simple economics. This team can't afford 20M for more than one player. The MFY's can afford that for at least 4 or 5.

If he was going to stay a Yankee why do you think he'd do that instead of going the extension route. According to Boras the wacky contract Hicks gave him guarantees him $32m a year in 2009 and 2010. I don't see him signing w/NY as a free agent.

Because there is no incentive for him to sign now. He'll get a bigger offer in free agency than he would now. Its really a no-brainer for him.

Simple economics. This team can't afford 20M for more than one player. The MFY's can afford that for at least 4 or 5.

They COULD, but I don't think they would. Tex's value is much higher to us because he is a hometown guy and would be THE face of the franchise. Anywhere else he is just a great player. The value is just not as high anywhere else. What do some of our "out of towners" think? Will any other teams snatch him from us by beating a $20 million / year offer?

Absolutely....I like Markakis, but I DON'T think he takes us to the next level.

A single Super Star player can't take a team to the next level unless he is augmented by other good to above average players. Markakis is one of those above average players we'll need when we find our Super Star.

We can definitely afford $20M for a guy. We're not limited to a $90M payroll anymore. I wouldn't be surprised to see our max payroll limit to be somewhere in the $120-130M range. I don't think we'll spend that high, but I do think we could afford it, especially if we start winning a bit.

Not resigning Mo and Posada are good moves for the Yankees, IMO, at least long term. They're each getting dangerously close to that age where players fall off the table.

Also, I think ARod will definitely remain a Yankee, very little doubt about that in my mind. But, he'll do it for $25-30M a year all of which will be paid by the Yankees rather than them only having to pay him $16M.

I agree with you but you are wrong about one thing. The reason the Yankees want to talk exstension now is for two reasons. First is that they only have 15 days after the world series to get a deal done with A-rod. They do not think that is enough time so they want to start now. the second reason they want to get a deal done before the 15 days is because if they do texas will still have to pay their share of the remaining contract. If they sign him as a FA after the 15 days they will have to pay all of the new contract without participation from Texas

You're missing my point. I was responding to the question..."would you trade somebody who "MAY do it" for someone who "IS doing it?" Cabrera, like Olson, Penn, and Loewen, MAY end up being great players. But Tex IS CURRENTLY a great player. And based on what I've seen of Cabrera, I just don't ever see him reaching his potential.

I think the chances of Cabrera becoming a great player even at this point in his career are much greater than those of Olson or Penn as I don't think they have the ceiling to be a great player. I think both could have long careers as good starters but neither has the potential to be a number one type pitcher IMO.

But back to trading for Tex... Since he is going to be a free agent no matter what, if we were going to trade DCab why wouldn't we be much better off trading him for someone other than Tex that we can pair w/Tex after signing him as a FA?

I agree with you but you are wrong about one thing. The reason the Yankees want to talk exstension now is for two reasons. First is that they only have 15 days after the world series to get a deal done with A-rod. They do not think that is enough time so they want to start now. the second reason they want to get a deal done before the 15 days is because if they do texas will still have to pay their share of the remaining contract. If they sign him as a FA after the 15 days they will have to pay all of the new contract without participation from Texas
How was I wrong about that? ARod won't be signing an extension and will opt out, which will make Texas ecstatic that they can then keep the $25M or so they'd owe him over the remainder of his contract.

Guest rochester
Well then, if he's such a cancer in the Rangers clubhosue, we would be more than happy to take him off your hands. Wouldn't we burds? :D

Hey maybe we can trade cancers - Tex for Gibbons:eek: :D:D

How was I wrong about that? ARod won't be signing an extension and will opt out, which will make Texas ecstatic that they can then keep the $25M or so they'd owe him over the remainder of his contract.

You are wrong about him being not signing an extension but ending up a Yankee. If he doesn't sign an extension the chances of him returning to the Bronx Bombers is nil.

I think the chances of Cabrera becoming a great player even at this point in his career are much greater than those of Olson or Penn as I don't think they have the ceiling to be a great player. I think both could have long careers as good starters but neither has the potential to be a number one type pitcher IMO.

But back to trading for Tex... Since he is going to be a free agent no matter what, if we were going to trade DCab why wouldn't we be much better off trading him for someone other than Tex that we can pair w/Tex after signing him as a FA?

Because I think the odds are better of him signing here as a Free Agent once he's been here with us already than if he never played for us at all. Just my opinion though on that.

We can definitely afford $20M for a guy. We're not limited to a $90M payroll anymore. I wouldn't be surprised to see our max payroll limit to be somewhere in the $120-130M range. I don't think we'll spend that high, but I do think we could afford it, especially if we start winning a bit.
My point is, it is nothing to the Yankess to go 20M+ to get the long term solution at 1B they badly need. Spending 20M+ is not such an easy decision for the O's.

Archived