For everyone begging for Teixeira

DC2Dallas

Cashman is trying to get them back to doing the type of things they did when they were winning and I think he knows that ARod isn't worth a a $42m a year commitment from NY (assuming he gets $30m a year).
I really don't think the money is an issue for the Yankees. They're losing Giambi's contract after '08, plus Abreu, Pettitte, Posada, and Rivera after this season.

The incentive of not losing the portion the Rangers are pitching in is a nice thing for them to try and negotiate now, but ARod isn't listening so its moot.

The Yankees absolutely will be in on ARod as a FA.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He 's a bette player with a longer term value than Giambi was when they got him. How much would Giambi's contract translate to in todays market? 25M would be about right IMO. I see the Yankees doing this before PA.

Are you basing that on how he's performed as a Yankee? Look at his last few years as an Athletic and compare it to the type of production Tex puts up. Giambi was an elite bat, Tex while very good offensively isn't in that class. There isn't a huge difference between Tex and any number of other potential options for the Yankees. Again - my prediction is Mourneau is a Yankee before Tex becomes a FA.

Guest oriofan8
Because I think the odds are better of him signing here as a Free Agent once he's been here with us already than if he never played for us at all. Just my opinion though on that.

I agree 1000% !!! For those who want to wait til Tex is a free agent...I believe that he will sign a BIG $$ extension with the team that trades for him, and we lose out again. Since the Orioles have been "publicly vocal" about wanting Tex.....what message does it send ....especially to Tex....if we "pass" on trading for him. We want him sooooo bad we are willing to give up "NOTHING".....to get him in Baltimore. Yep...probably not a good message. If we let Tex think it's all about money.....it'll become ALL ABOUT MONEY.

I really don't think the money is an issue for the Yankees. They're losing Giambi's contract after '08, plus Abreu, Pettitte, Posada, and Rivera after this season.

The incentive of not losing the portion the Rangers are pitching in is a nice thing for them to try and negotiate now, but ARod isn't listening so its moot.

The Yankees absolutely will be in on ARod as a FA.

They can certainly afford it, I just don't see Cashman considering it his best option. They could have afforded to keep Sheffield, they could afford to trade Hughes or Tabata for big name pitchers. ARod isn't listening now but once the season is over they'll have an exclusive period to either work something out or move on.

I believe that he will sign a BIG $$ extension with the team that trades for him, and we lose out again.

Find a Scott Boras client of Teixeira's caliber that didn't hit the open market. The existing precedent nullifies your argument. If I'm wrong on this one, I promise to buy you a beer! ;)

They're a poorly run franchise, and they want to cut payroll and get some longer term security. If I were the Rays I'd hold out for Markakis and Erbe, though.

Crawford is signed through 2010, including club options, to a very club-friendly contract. Markakis will be well into arbitration by then and only under club control for one additional year. I don't see how that deal gives them any long-term security.

Also where did you read they are trying to cut payroll? They actually spent below their budget this past year and have told fans they plan on adding to payroll by next year's opening day.

Is everyone underestimating the amount of $$$$ the Orioles will have to spend this offseason?

Subtract:

Benson $7M

Wright $3M

Patterson $4M

Millar $3M

Trachsel $3M

Total $20M

Plus maybe partial subtractions of Gibbons, Baez (combined $11M - half of that would be outstanding).

There is more than enough room (i.e. $$$) to acquire a FA OF or a Tex or GASP an AROD.

Guest oriofan8
Find a Scott Boras client of Teixeira's caliber that didn't hit the open market. The existing precedent nullifies your argument. If I'm wrong on this one, I promise to buy you a beer! ;)

The precedent does not necessarily nullify my argument. There are too many variables to have a set precedent. IF Tex really WANTS to play in Baltimore, then a contract extension at the same terms acceptable in a free agent contract becomes attainable. Because most free agent contracts are "only" about the money, then other variables rarely come into play. If we have Tex here, AND he likes being close to family and friends, AND is treated like a "fan favorite" he is more likely to tell Boras to "git er done"....If he is traded elsewhere...like Atlanta, or New York....it could become "just about the money", and....back to my initial argument. ;)

.....and I promise to drink that beer !!

Is everyone underestimating the amount of $$$$ the Orioles will have to spend this offseason?

Subtract:

Benson $7M

Wright $3M

Patterson $4M

Millar $3M

Trachsel $3M

Total $20M

Factor in the increases for Bedard (~$2M), Huff ($4M), Roberts ($2M), Cabrera ($~$1.5M), Walker, ($1.5M) Hernandez ($1M), Tejada ($1M), and over half of that is gone.

Subtract:

Benson $7M

Wright $3M

Patterson $4M

Millar $3M

Trachsel $3M

Total $20M

Plus maybe partial subtractions of Gibbons, Baez (combined $11M - half of that would be outstanding).

There is more than enough room (i.e. $$$) to acquire a FA OF or a Tex or GASP an AROD.

They'd still have to increase payroll signficantly. If you replaced those five w/guys making the minimum and factor in decent size raises for guys like Bedard and any backloaded salary increases and the net savings aren't all that huge.

They'd still have to increase payroll signficantly. If you replaced those five w/guys making the minimum and factor in decent size raises for guys like Bedard and any backloaded salary increases and the net savings aren't all that huge.

Plus, we aren't paying all of Benson's 7 million.

Crawford is signed through 2010, including club options, to a very club-friendly contract. Markakis will be well into arbitration by then and only under club control for one additional year. I don't see how that deal gives them any long-term security.

Also where did you read they are trying to cut payroll? They actually spent below their budget this past year and have told fans they plan on adding to payroll by next year's opening day.

Good points, all. All conjecture on my part, though I don't trust the Rays to make sound baseball decisions, ever (at least at the ML level). The Rays and Pirates make US look good!

Our 07 payroll would have been a good bit higher if Jason Schmidt or Carlos Lee had accepted. Between some of that $ and the money coming on-line and the increase in salary to others, I expect we could have around $20M-$25M to spend this offseason.

Possibly more depending on who we deal.

BTW, the article cited in this thread sure sounds like a planted piece that paves the wave for the FO to deal Tex without the fans getting too upset. Sounds like we may put him in play soon, IMO.

BTW, the article cited in this thread sure sounds like a planted piece that paves the wave for the FO to deal Tex without the fans getting too upset. Sounds like we may put him in play soon, IMO.

Absolutely. The question is going to be is it worth it for the Orioles to give the Rangers the gold package for him. I still think we are better off waiting. I know if any Oriole was in the papers with quotes like what has been attributed to Tex I would definately be looking to move them sooner rather than later.

Archived