For everyone begging for Teixeira

DC2Dallas

That's worth giving up DCab and Ray? those guys might get you Crawford or at least Baldelli.

I didn't say that. Personally I'd wait until he is a FA. But I am pointing out that there is value in acquiring him for a "test drive" to see if he's worthy of a mega deal when he is a FA.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What's the infatuation with Baldelli? He may be young, but he is once again on the 60-day DL. Decent average, decent OBP, decent power, etc. He plays a position that we need, but right now, I wouldn't give up Ray and Cabrera for him. Let's see him stay healthy and improve his stats before we trade anyone for him.
My point is you can get at least a Baldelli for those two, probably more and 1 year of Tex is not going to help the team as much.

I think that Tex would be a great fit here. I am incredibly sick of waiting for Cabrera to blossum and Ray just doesn't do it for me. Tex would instantly add power and protection to the batter before him (Markakis?). He fills a need and if we trade Ray, we can bring up Doyne (who pitched pretty well at the All Star Game) and see what the future is at the closer position. About the pressure, yes, there would be pressure. He would be viewed like a savior and would need to produce fairly well to not get shelled with insults. BUT, Baltimore is not New York or Boston. We don't automatically think TRADE if someone doesn't produce up to standards. He could come in, get used to his surroundings, and then over the next 1.5 years, figure out that he wants to play out more of his career in Baltimore.

I think that Tex would be a great fit here. I am incredibly sick of waiting for Cabrera to blossum and Ray just doesn't do it for me. Tex would instantly add power and protection to the batter before him (Markakis?). He fills a need and if we trade Ray, we can bring up Doyne (who pitched pretty well at the All Star Game) and see what the future is at the closer position. About the pressure, yes, there would be pressure. He would be viewed like a savior and would need to produce fairly well to not get shelled with insults. BUT, Baltimore is not New York or Boston. We don't automatically think TRADE if someone doesn't produce up to standards. He could come in, get used to his surroundings, and then over the next 1.5 years, figure out that he wants to play out more of his career in Baltimore.
Or figure out that he doesn't, and meanwhile DCab wins 20 for Texas.

I dont think the Baltimore media has the ability to arouse that kind of storm and I also think he'll be red carpeted the entire way. Do you think Cal had pressure? I am not comparing him to Cal but the hooplah surrounding him will make him bullet proof unless he completely falls on his face...and I honestly don't see that happening.
Cal came in at a time with less media pressure and when the Orioles were good.

He didn't need to "save the team".

I've never met Tex, so this is just an opinion, but...

It seems to me that his problem is not necessarily with the men in the manager's seat in Texas, but with the hopeless climate of losing there.

If you weaken the Orioles already weak major league roster to bring him here, it's like that game at the amusment park where you hammer one gopher back into his hole only to have another pop up. (Improved offense + weakened pitching = same old 70-win club).

Hometown boy or not, I bet Tex will be itching to get out of Baltimore sooner than later in that scenario.

Sign him as a free agent if he wants to come by all means, but there's no reason to rush him in here when the team's not making the playoffs anyway.

Or figure out that he doesn't, and meanwhile DCab wins 20 for Texas.

That could happen, but I don't think that it will. Cabrera has been viewed as better than he is for years now. He could be an ace one year, but if he can't get his control in check, he'll never win more than 12 or 13 games.

I've never met Tex, so this is just an opinion, but...

It seems to me that his problem is not necessarily with the men in the manager's seat in Texas, but with the hopeless climate of losing there.

If you weaken the Orioles already weak major league roster to bring him here, it's like that game at the amusment park where you hammer one gopher back into his hole only to have another pop up. (Improved offense + weakened pitching = same old 70-win club).

Hometown boy or not, I bet Tex will be itching to get out of Baltimore sooner than later in that scenario.

Sign him as a free agent if he wants to come by all means, but there's no reason to rush him in here when the team's not making the playoffs anyway.

So, all of you against this trade, you really don't think we could replace Cabrera's 5.00 ERA and 9 losses?

If a trade comes down...you may be very surprised at what we have to give the Rangers...surprised in a good way!

There is another deal brewing that may be met with quite a mixed reaction.

Can't believe this nugget has slipped on by....

I take the first part to mean that perhaps only Ray would be needed to get Tex. And I would have no problem including Beato too.

About the second part....hmm...maybe a deal involving Liz or Tejada???

Guest oriofan8

I take the first part to mean that perhaps only Ray would be needed to get Tex. And I would have no problem including Beato too.

....or Roberts, or Markakis, or Bedard ??? :confused:

So, all of you against this trade, you really don't think we could replace Cabrera's 5.00 ERA and 9 losses?

That's not the point... he's not a free agent until the end of the 2010 season, and there may be a chance that he'll finally get it. I have no problem trading him, but not so much for a rental. And a rental is what Tex would be, because Boras will not sign an extension. He may sign later, but he's definitely going to go free agency, on, or not on the Orioles.

That could happen, but I don't think that it will. Cabrera has been viewed as better than he is for years now. He could be an ace one year, but if he can't get his control in check, he'll never win more than 12 or 13 games.
Dcab has a better chance of winning 20 than the O's have of extending Tex.

Especially since Sonny called the Perlozzo sacking spot on to the day weeks in advance.

It's not a question of replacing DCab, I'd trade him for a promising young bat, it's replacing him for a 1 year rental.

Archived