For everyone begging for Teixeira

DC2Dallas

You are wrong about him being not signing an extension but ending up a Yankee. If he doesn't sign an extension the chances of him returning to the Bronx Bombers is nil.
Why? He'll get the biggest contract offer in the offseason from the Yankees most likely. He'll got to the highest bidder, whoever that may be. If its the Yankees, he'll probably return to New York. Other than the LA teams, I don't see anyone else who will put in any competitive offers for him.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Because I think the odds are better of him signing here as a Free Agent once he's been here with us already than if he never played for us at all. Just my opinion though on that.

Heh, I may be overly cynical but I think subjecting him to a year and a half of this dysfunctional organization might make him realize that the dream to go home is really more like a nightmare.

My point is, it is nothing to the Yankess to go 20M+ to get the long term solution at 1B they badly need. Spending 20M+ is not such an easy decision for the O's.

It is easy when his name is Mark Teixiera. This is THE big fish that Angelos will not let get away. And you can take that to the bank!

Heh, I may be overly cynical but I think subjecting him to a year and a half of this dysfunctional organization might make him realize that the dream to go home is really more like a nightmare.

Maybe so, but I'd like to find that out now BEFORE signing him to a $150 million contract.

Also, what if trading for him nets us contract extensions for Roberts and Bedard? And what if his family LOVES him being around again? And what if he is good friends behind the scenes with A-Rod and he comes here too? OKAY, maybe I went too far there! :D

Anyway, my point is that one EXTRA year of Tex next season may net us more than you all think!

Why? He'll get the biggest contract offer in the offseason from the Yankees most likely. He'll got to the highest bidder, whoever that may be. If its the Yankees, he'll probably return to New York. Other than the LA teams, I don't see anyone else who will put in any competitive offers for him.

If the Yankees don't make the playoffs they'll have a few weeks to negotiate with ARod before he makes his decision whether or not to opt out. If he opts out the Yankees will move on and he won't receive any more offers from them. Without the Yankees bidding it'll limit what he ends up with.

We need enough leftover for the rest of the team!

Personally I'd trade for Tex if you could get him for DCab because I believe Tex would extend. But that's purely based on everything he has said publicly over the past year or so. It's probably not the way things will work out but I like to hope.

If he opts for FA at the end of next year we'll still effectively have got 2 high draft picks and 1 year of Tex for DCab.

If I were a betting man, I would bet PA already has a special savings account set aside just for Tex. There would be two different payrolls 1 for Tex and 1 for the rest of the team. I just don't see money being an issue with PA when it comes to Tex.

And I am also in the camp that DCab will not turn it around nor will Ray. I have more faith in Ray, but I also believe if we could get Tex for them it will help us with signing future FA (not a whole bunch but a little and we need all the help we can get) help extend our players. I really don't see much down side to getting him here this year.

If the Yankees don't make the playoffs they'll have a few weeks to negotiate with ARod before he makes his decision whether or not to opt out. If he opts out the Yankees will move on and he won't receive any more offers from them. Without the Yankees bidding it'll limit what he ends up with.
Why would the Yankees put a limit on when they'll negotiate with him? He absoutely is opting out and won't negotiate an extension (now or in the 15-day period). But the Yankees will still absolutely be involved. I think he's definitely much more likely to end up in New York than anywhere else, I'd put the odds at about 3-1 in favor of, but he won't be extending his deal before hitting the market.

My point is, it is nothing to the Yankess to go 20M+ to get the long term solution at 1B they badly need. Spending 20M+ is not such an easy decision for the O's.

But the question is why would the yankees choose to get into a bidding war for him. Again, he's not a unique player. Between now and the offseason of 2008 there are any number of ways they could get a long term solution at 1b.

Personally, my prediction is that Justin Morneau is the Yankees 1b before Tex reaches FA.

Unlikely this is true.

To begin with a few weeks to negotiate with Boras is not enough. with or without the Yankees he will get a minimum of $30 Million. Look at what Ichiro just signed for. A-rod offers a team a lot more than he does. San Fran wants him to replace Bonds, Pinella wants him and Boston would sure like to have him at short. A-rod is going to get bank, the Yankee's know it, thats why they would like to have him for cheap the next two years and sign an extension now.

Why would the Yankees put a limit on when they'll negotiate with him? He absoutely is opting out and won't negotiate an extension (now or in the 15-day period). But the Yankees will still absolutely be involved. I think he's definitely much more likely to end up in New York than anywhere else, I'd put the odds at about 3-1 in favor of, but he won't be extending his deal before hitting the market.

Cashman is trying to get them back to doing the type of things they did when they were winning and I think he knows that ARod isn't worth a a $42m a year commitment from NY (assuming he gets $30m a year).

In case it isn't obvious, team's "put" information out through the media. If I were the rangers, I'd sure want to be certain that my fanbase were behind me if I wanted to trade Teixera.

This piece is kinda in rebuttal to this piece.

IMO Mr. Taylor misrepresents Teixera's comments, but then again he is a columnist so he is trying to be edgy and inflammatory to create buzz.

Great post- thanks for this rebuttal article. That helps a lot to put things in proper perspective.

If I were a betting man, I would bet PA already has a special savings account set aside just for Tex. There would be two different payrolls 1 for Tex and 1 for the rest of the team. I just don't see money being an issue with PA when it comes to Tex.

There's something to this....

If I were MacPhail, I'd be doing Boras's job for him, in a way, by setting up big-time endorsement deals with the likes of Legg Mason, T. Rowe Price or another Mid-Atlantic powerhouse. Then you sign him to dual contracts with the Orioles, one as a player and a second "personal services" contract for appearances an PR (much like Houston did with Clemens) The total of the packages could eclipse $25 mil per year but only show 15 or so against payroll. Tex is smart and articulate enough to pull this off.

But the question is why would the yankees choose to get into a bidding war for him. Again, he's not a unique player. Between now and the offseason of 2008 there are any number of ways they could get a long term solution at 1b.

Personally, my prediction is that Justin Morneau is the Yankees 1b before Tex reaches FA.

He 's a bette player with a longer term value than Giambi was when they got him. How much would Giambi's contract translate to in todays market? 25M would be about right IMO. I see the Yankees doing this before PA.

Archived