Big evening for Thomas Eshelman

wildcard

In general the  expectation for 25 year old Eshelman making the team out of the ST is low.     But his results so far have been notable.   Two scoreless innings in a start vs the Red Sox at their park where he faced Benintendi, JD Martinez and Moreland among others.   He gave up one hit and struck out 2.    Then 3 innings in relief  versus the Phils again on the road.   The only hit he gave up in those 3 innings was a solo homer to veteran Josh Harrison.

Now he goes up against the Yankees tonight at their park.   He could be the first O's starter to go 4 innings if he pitches well and keeps his pitch count down.   That may position him to be in the hunt for the 5th starter spot.   Who would have thought it.   

But he has to do well tonight to move up the list of 5th starters which include Milone, Bailey and Rucker.  We shall see if he is up to it.  Yankees could be tough depending on who they decide to play.

His outings have been interesting, but I think he could pitch perfectly all spring and not make this team. There's just too much against him, mainly the 2 Rule 5s and the 2 veteran lefties. Not to mention he doesn't have a 40-man roster spot. I see him as emergency depth. 

• Upvote 1

Baltimore: Means, Cobb, Wojo, LeBlanc, Milone
Norfolk: Akin, Kremer, Wells, Zimmermann, Lowther

Barring a string of injuries, Eshelman isn't cracking either of those rotations. Him, Hanhold, Shepherd, Hess, Blach, etc. would have to accept going to AA, pitch out of Norfolk's pen, or find a new organization.

20 minutes ago, interloper said:

His outings have been interesting, but I think he could pitch perfectly all spring and not make this team. There's just too much against him, mainly the 2 Rule 5s and the 2 veteran lefties. Not to mention he doesn't have a 40-man roster spot. I see him as emergency depth. 

Injuries are possible.   Cobb has pitched one inning in the ST games this spring and is progressing on sim games that may not challenge him the way he needs to be.

Milone has a pain in the neck.   How long that lasts and what it does to his effectiveness is anyone's guess.   Just saying'.

6 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Injuries are possible.   Cobb has pitched one inning in the ST games this spring and is progressing on sim games that may not challenge him the way he needs to be.

Milone has a pain in the neck.   How long that lasts and what it does to his effectiveness is anyone's guess.   Just saying'.

Fair points. 

31 minutes ago, luismatos4prez said:

Baltimore: Means, Cobb, Wojo, LeBlanc, Milone
Norfolk: Akin, Kremer, Wells, Zimmermann, Lowther

Barring a string of injuries, Eshelman isn't cracking either of those rotations. Him, Hanhold, Shepherd, Hess, Blach, etc. would have to accept going to AA, pitch out of Norfolk's pen, or find a new organization.

He could make either team as a swingman/long relief type. 

I echo the Milone situation. Milone probably won’t be ready for OD. Depending on when the Os need a 5th starter, that means 1) they don’t choose a 5th starter at all until necessary and carry an extra player 2) they move on and pick a 5th guy because that fifth guy has done well enough to make the team over Milone anyway.

I voted for Stewart as #5, and the baseball Gods are pointing their fingers at me and saying, “Ha ha”

so Eshelman certainly remains in the mix, though others, especially Bailey and Rucker both, are ahead of him.

Eshelman's prospect status was built on a super fluky 2017 in AAA.  

He strikes out <6.00/9 so he has to live on some super sketchy batted ball numbers, either by producing a lot of FBs with a very low HR/FB rate (which he did in 2017) or some very weak GB contact, but his xWOBACon last year (SSS) was above .400.