Will Covid-19 end amateur season prematurely?

Scouts aren't going to scout.  Amateur baseball won't happen. Most of the colleges are sending students home. I am sure high school is next.  We make our guesses the best we can.  Even with a year of scouting most of the teams get the first round wrong. 

3 hours ago, atomic said:

Scouts aren't going to scout.  Amateur baseball won't happen. Most of the colleges are sending students home. I am sure high school is next.  We make our guesses the best we can.  Even with a year of scouting most of the teams get the first round wrong. 

Exactly. You have a bunch of guys sweating, spitting, and coughing - all throwing the same ball to each other. It'd be insane to keep the amateur seasons going.

Life moves on. Teams will make the best decisions that they can. 

Obviously, we are going to have a lot more things to worry about than the draft if the season gets cancelled.   I think it's safe to assume there won't be any baseball until May at the earliest (and most optimistic scenario).  Looks like we'll have to decide based upon what we've seen to date.

My preferences:

1. Lacy

2. Torkelson

3. Hancock

4. Gonzales

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DocJJ said:

Obviously, we are going to have a lot more things to worry about than the draft if the season gets cancelled.   I think it's safe to assume there won't be any baseball until May at the earliest (and most optimistic scenario).  Looks like we'll have to decide based upon what we've seen to date.

My preferences:

1. Lacy

2. Torkelson

3. Hancock

4. Gonzales

Of those four, I would probably lean towards Torkleson. Sounds like he is a pretty sure bet with the bat. Gonzales is intriguing, but don't think I'd want the Orioles to roll the dice with him.

Maybe the arms have higher upside than the position players, but I am leery of taking a pitcher at the top -- too volatile. None of the pitchers this year seem to be of the "can't miss" variety, so I'm more inclined to play it safe.

Is Martin no longer in consideratoin based off a few weeks?

Martin is certainly in consideration.   Our scouts will have to make any judgements based off of last year and the Cape Cod League last year.   I strongly suspect Torkelson will go to the Tigers so I don't really consider him in play....

Lacy looks like a sure bet to me.   I'm keeping him at the top of my list.

Of course we all understand the rationale behind this, but strictly baseball-wise, what a horrible move it would be.  It’d affect multiple classes and muck up drafts for years to come. Juniors that teams figured would leave would (likely) stay, and incoming freshmen who were set to take their presumed-to-be-vacated scholarships would be (likely) out in the cold.

Safety first, though, always. I've to believe they'll figure it out somehow if it comes to that.

On 3/19/2020 at 10:27 PM, Win Column said:

Of course we all understand the rationale behind this, but strictly baseball-wise, what a horrible move it would be.  It’d affect multiple classes and muck up drafts for years to come. Juniors that teams figured would leave would (likely) stay, and incoming freshmen who were set to take their presumed-to-be-vacated scholarships would be (likely) out in the cold.

Safety first, though, always. I've to believe they'll figure it out somehow if it comes to that.

US Government predicts the situation will last 18 months.  If baseball doesn't start until midway through next season and we are in an economic depression, saving the money spent on the draft and the international signings makes sense.  Even if the season does start on time next season attendance won't be good. 

On 3/16/2020 at 5:50 PM, DocJJ said:

Martin is certainly in consideration.   Our scouts will have to make any judgements based off of last year and the Cape Cod League last year.   I strongly suspect Torkelson will go to the Tigers so I don't really consider him in play....

Lacy looks like a sure bet to me.   I'm keeping him at the top of my list.

If/when a draft happens, and Martin is there at #2, that's who I would select. Future 2nd baseman, possible lead-off hitter.