When Will the 2020 MLB Season Begin? (Poll)

24fps

Start of the 2020 Season  

149 members have voted

1. 1. When will the 2020 season begin?

• Sometime in April
    • Sometime in May
    • Sometime in June
    • Sometime in July
    • No 2020 Season at All

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/01/20 at 04:59

15 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

No one wants to compete with football, I agree.  It would be a mess with the NBA, NHL, NFL and MLB all playing games at the same time.  But like I said earlier, I think what this will really be about is the race between MLB/NBA to get games going this summer and who can have a captive audience first and worry about the rest later. 

I would have no interest in going to a game at OPACY that late in the year, I totally agree with that too.  

I went to DC United's opener on 29 February and underestimated the conditions.  Being out for four hours in 35 degrees with a stiff wind is COLD if you're not fully prepared.  That's not really baseball.

10 hours ago, orioles119 said:

Another possibility is herd immunity as well... something that may be developing in Great Britain.

Some scientists in England  wanted to do the herd theory but the pushback was great.  Now in a lockdown. 

Prime Minister Boris Johnson has tested positive for coronavirus.

Mr Johnson said he developed mild symptoms over the past 24 hours, including a temperature and cough.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-52060791

Nothing new about major politicians getting a virus during a pandemic. Woodrow Wilson got the 1918 flu. The public never knew about it. He had a pretty bad case according to reports ,even somewhat out of it at times. 

In April 1919, Wilson traveled to the Paris Peace Conference for talks on ending the Great War. Soon after arriving, the president become ill with a fever and violent fits of coughing that left him nearly unable to breathe.

Wilson's condition deteriorated so quickly that his personal doctor, Cary T. Grayson, thought he had been poisoned.

“But it soon became obvious the diagnosis was simpler, if only marginally more reassuring,” wrote John Barry in “The Great Influenza.”

Wilson was so ill that the talks were nearly derailed. The president could not even sit up in bed.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/2020/03/14/flu-woodrow-wilson-coronavirus-trump/

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I went to DC United's opener on 29 February and underestimated the conditions.  Being out for four hours in 35 degrees with a stiff wind is COLD if you're not fully prepared.  That's not really baseball.

Yeah, that's nasty.  35 degrees in the sun isn't bad, but add wind... just forget it.  

2 hours ago, 24fps said:

Every time you add big games, "big" gets smaller.  At this point, Rob and his brain trust aren't boosting excitement, just adding more sugar and caffeine.

I can see where you're coming from but it all depends on how they'd roll this out.  Win or go home games are exciting no matter what, IMO.  

1 hour ago, weams said:

This is why I think fanless games are inevitable. Mass gatherings aren’t happening until a medical solution emerges. So if it’s inevitable, start working on the logistics now so that frequent player testing is the last obstacle to playing the games. It stinks, but not as much as canceling all of 2020 and much of 2021. Money will drive the decision. I’d just like to know more about the owner side finances of fanless games. Is that better or worse than cancelling two seasons and not paying player contracts? And is that league wide or is the answer different for different franchises?

6 hours ago, 24fps said:

Long-term, humanity won't tolerate a world where interaction with groups of others isn't possible. There is no "if".

Yeah - I give it another month and this whole social distancing thing will become too much.

Find a treatment, then a vaccine - it's not that hard of a concept.  Although I should probably keep my mouth shut to upset the doom and gloom narrative.  And I know snark is coming quickly after that last comment.