MLB suspended, Opening Day delayed indefinitely UPDATED

interloper

11 minutes ago, orioles119 said:

Something we can actually agree on.  I believe this social distancing will fizzle out come May... people are going to get fed up with the practice.  Call me selfish, but I want sports back in some capacity.  I want to be able to go to the store and buy something without fear that it is not going to be there.  I want to go to the theater again.  I want to eat in a restaurant again.  I'm sure this is something everyone wants.  There will come a time when the public at large will tire of these measures.  It's callous, but you have to think about the economy too.  With so many people out of work through no fault of their own, it's going to be a struggle.

I’d prefer not to die which I would if I caught this. So call me callous. I don’t care about your comforts. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, weams said:

I’d prefer not to die which I would if I caught this. So call me callous. I don’t care about your comforts. 

Be careful. Hopefully you have been able to get groceries delivered. 

2 hours ago, atomic said:

Death rates in Europe in Spain, Italy and France are higher than reported.  They are not counting people who die at home or in nursing homes.  

And neither is the US. EMS workers are putting down the cause of death of people that die at home of cardiac arrest or another cause.

Always happens in pandemics,that is why you see between 1 to 2 million people dies of the 1918 flu. That is a huge range.

1 minute ago, atomic said:

Be careful. Hopefully you have been able to get groceries delivered. 

Yes thanks. Walmart pickup seems to work. Stuff right into the trunk. Let it sit for a while.  I package in the sunlight - spray with everclear.  Take the perishables in and wash good with soap a water. It seems to work. No human contact. 

1 minute ago, weams said:

Yes thanks. Walmart pickup seems to work. Stuff right into the trunk. Let it sit for a while.  I package in the sunlight - spray with everclear.  Take the perishables in and wash good with soap a water. It seems to work. No human contact. 

Oh sounds like you have a good plan.  I didn't know Walmart did pick up. I had a peapod delivery a couple of days ago but they seem booked up going forward.  Might check out Walmart.   

As you age out, your healthcare and your health become the only important things. I’ve had all kinds of struggles in life. Plenty of inconveniences. You can fix almost any problems.  But health keeps you posting. 

25 minutes ago, orioles119 said:

Something we can actually agree on.  I believe this social distancing will fizzle out come May... people are going to get fed up with the practice.  Call me selfish, but I want sports back in some capacity.  I want to be able to go to the store and buy something without fear that it is not going to be there.  I want to go to the theater again.  I want to eat in a restaurant again.  I'm sure this is something everyone wants.  There will come a time when the public at large will tire of these measures.  It's callous, but you have to think about the economy too.  With so many people out of work through no fault of their own, it's going to be a struggle.

You have to be able to thread that needle. It is tough with so many unknowns. Obviously if the pandemic gets out of control here and none of the containments or treatments work then  we could be locked down for a few more months. Hopefully we are seeing some signs of social distancing working. Get back to me in May.

Just now, atomic said:

Oh sounds like you have a good plan.  I didn't know Walmart did pick up. I had a peapod delivery a couple of days ago but they seem booked up going forward.  Might check out Walmart.   

You have to go to Walmart Grocery online. Select a pickup time from available ones probably a day away. You pay online. You show up the app asks your spot when it sees that you are there.  They come put it in your opened trunk and wave. 

3 minutes ago, weams said:

As you age out, your healthcare and your health become the only important things. I’ve had all kinds of struggles in life. Plenty of inconveniences. You can fix almost any problems.  But health keeps you posting. 

I used to work for Nationwide Insurance.  And the CEO had a meeting and he said the richest people in the world would trade all their money to be healthy.  I think some people forget that health is the most important thing.

5 minutes ago, weams said:

You have to go to Walmart Grocery online. Select a pickup time from available ones probably a day away. You pay online. You show up the app asks your spot when it sees that you are there.  They come put it in your opened trunk and wave. 

Thanks.  This is great information to have.   

43 minutes ago, weams said:

As I am 66 and have several underlying conditions, I haven't been in a room with another person in nearly three weeks. I don't leave my condo except to go to the laundry room, the mail room and to take out the garbage. All my food is delivered by Amazon Fresh, which drops off at my door and emails me that the order has been delivered.

So, I wouldn't call you callous, @weams, I'd say you're cautious. And rightfully so.

Stay safe. Stay home. Slow the spread.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Harris Teeter also does pick up, but before this there was a yearly fee. Possibility that might be waived now with all the lockdowns. I'm probably going to need to order from them in the next few days.

Seniors ,waived on Thursday. 

Matthews, NC – Harris Teeter today announced it will expand its shopping hours for seniors amid the COVID-19 pandemic. Beginning Monday, March 30, the company will offer two hours for senior shoppers aged 60 and over each Monday and Thursday from 6 a.m. to 8 a.m. until further notice.  To further enhance its commitment to protecting its senior shoppers, Harris Teeter will open its Pharmacies at 7 a.m. every Monday and Thursday and provide more fresh offerings during the designated senior shopping hours.

Harris Teeter is also designating ExpressLane Online Shopping pick-up times from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. for seniors only every Thursday. The company will waive the $4.95 fee and offer $5 delivery (normally $10) for seniors during these times.

“The designated shopping hours will provide a genuine opportunity for senior shoppers to purchase what they need while practicing the CDC’s recommended social distancing guidelines,” said Danna Robinson, communication manager for Harris Teeter. “As the situation continues to evolve, we are listening to our associates and shoppers feedback and will modify our plans to best serve the needs of our communities.”

The company invites its Senior shoppers to take advantage of the 5% Senior Club discount every Thursday.

For the most updated information regarding COVID-19, shoppers are encouraged to visit

Senior Hours

Problem is at least in Maryland the pickups go out almost four or five days to get a slot.

1 hour ago, orioles119 said:

As long as the pandemic remains unchecked, the economy is going to suffer either way, whether people are social distancing or not. If everyone goes back to work while coronavirus is still running rampant, making people sick and killing people, that doesn't help anyone. We certainly all want this to be over, but you can't rush anything.

I don't think July 1 is a feasible start date for MLB unless the testing capabilities are so plentiful that you could test every player (and coach, staffer, TV crew worker, etc.) every single day. Otherwise there's nothing preventing a player from getting the virus and unknowingly spreading it to the rest of his team.

Even if it is possible for players to get back to action, I don't see any way you could have fans in attendance anytime in 2020, barring a vaccine miraculously being ready sometime this summer.