who should we draft at #30, 39?

A couple other late mocks - Bleacher Report and Cbssports are below:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2895131-2020-mlb-mock-draft-brs-final-round-1-picks

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/2020-mlb-mock-draft-spencer-torkelson-austin-martin-go-1-2-marlins-select-first-pitcher-off-board/

BR - Gone - Bitsko, Wilcox, Jarvis, Beeter, Kelley, Cecconi, Howard, Foscue, Loftin and Sabato

BR - Available at 30 - Miller, Walker, Westburg, Fulton, Witt, Mlodzinski, Van Eyk

CBSSports - Gone - Bitsko, Ginn (only mock with Ginn in first round), Jarvis, Westburg, Beeter, Loftin, McMahon

CBSSports Available - Miller, Walker, Fulton, Witt, Mlodzinski, Van Eyk, Kelley, Cecconi

CBSSports has us projected to take Carson Montgomery - a name that I should have had in an original list of guys for the Os to take at 30 along with McMahon.

In fact, the CBSSports run of players in the supplemental first reads - Montgomery, Kelley, Fulton, Miller, Mlodzinski. 

This projection has the following available at 39:  Walker, Witt, Van Eyk, Cecconi

Looks like a high quality name will be there at 30.

• Upvote 1

So, of course, final rankings from Keith Law diverge considerably from the mocks above:

rated in the 20s - Van Eyk, Jarvis, Shuster, Burns, Ginn (all pitchers I am listing) plus Walker

30s - Kelley, Witt, Mlodzinski, Beeter, Crochet (Crochet projected to be drafted in middle of first round by most)

40s - Westburg, McMahon, Cecconi

50s - Petey Halpin (highest rating I have seen for him), Loftin, Montgomery, Miller

60s - Foscue (again, near consensus first rounder), Fulton

80s - Jared Jones

On 5/31/2020 at 3:11 PM, Jammer7 said:

So, a hypothetical draft of:

1 (pick #2) Zac Veen OF*

2 (pick #30) Nick Bitsko RHP

3. (pick #39) Dax Fulton LHP

Would you be good with this haul in the first two rounds? You would likely have to save some money at #2 to take the next two, assuming they are there. That would be the only way I do not take Austin Martin or Asa Lacy. You would have to not worry about the competitive cycle beginning in less than five years. Bitsko and Fulton were top 15-20 talents overall, Fulton had the TJ surgery but he is the top HS LHP despite that.

Personally, I would do this. What say you?

Not taking the BPA when picking at number 2 overall is beyond stupid. Hopefully Elias is not that dumb! Get the best player you can period!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

Not taking the BPA when picking at number 2 overall is beyond stupid. Hopefully Elias is not that dumb! Get the best player you can period!

If you rate player A at 87 out of a hundred and player B at 85 out of 100 and player B can be signed for 750K less it isn't "beyond stupid" to go with player B.  Not if you can use that money to get superior players later in the draft.

It may or may not turn out to be the right move, but it isn't stupid.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I think dropping from a guy rated 1-3 overall in Martin by most sources to a guy rated 4-6 overall in order to afford a consensus top 30 talent in Bitsko is hardly "beyond stupid".  Fulton is generally rated in the 40s due to his injury.  If the Os picked and signed Bitsko and Ginn at 30/39 from the slot savings w Veen, it would be a strong talent haul. 

I think Martin's merits are well-known here, but the issue here is that many players were impacted by the current crises in that they could not demonstrate their improved play or physical maturity.  If we look back on this draft in five years and find out that Veen, Minnesota's Meyer or Asa Lacy had brighter futures than Martin, it would not be a shock to me.

On 5/31/2020 at 3:11 PM, Jammer7 said:

So, a hypothetical draft of:

1 (pick #2) Zac Veen OF*

2 (pick #30) Nick Bitsko RHP

3. (pick #39) Dax Fulton LHP

Would you be good with this haul in the first two rounds? You would likely have to save some money at #2 to take the next two, assuming they are there. That would be the only way I do not take Austin Martin or Asa Lacy. You would have to not worry about the competitive cycle beginning in less than five years. Bitsko and Fulton were top 15-20 talents overall, Fulton had the TJ surgery but he is the top HS LHP despite that.

Personally, I would do this. What say you?

My biggest issue with Veen as the #2 pick in this strategy is he's a high schooler. If we go with this strategy, it's likely to target at least one high upside, riskier high schooler at 30 or 39. In this scenario from Jammer we're taking three high school players. I get that Elias reportedly has a long leash, but we were hoping the window for a competitive team starts to open in 2022 when we're hoping Rutschman, Mountcastle, Hall, and Rodriguez are all on the ML roster and beginning to contribute. Gonzalez, Hancock, Kjerstad could all feasibly follow in short order as part of this core. I don't know if we want to come out of this draft with our hopes kicked entirely down to 2024 before we see anyone at OPACY.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If you rate player A at 87 out of a hundred and player B at 85 out of 100 and player B can be signed for 750K less it isn't "beyond stupid" to go with player B.  Not if you can use that money to get superior players later in the draft.

It may or may not turn out to be the right move, but it isn't stupid.

Sorry ....Point rating systems don't work in baseball nearly as well as football. You take the guy with the best chance of succeeding.

If you don't agree fine .... But I challenge you to prove me wrong in any capacity. Baseball prospects mostly miss!

Just now, Roll Tide said:

Sorry ....Point rating systems don't work in baseball nearly as well as football. You take the guy with the best chance of succeeding.

If you don't agree fine .... But I challenge you to prove me wrong in any capacity. Baseball prospects mostly miss!

Considering I don't have access to any of the evaluations teams have used you are safe in your challenge.

That being said you maximize your value.  I'm not saying it is the best move all or even some of the time, but situations do exist. 

30 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

I think dropping from a guy rated 1-3 overall in Martin by most sources to a guy rated 4-6 overall in order to afford a consensus top 30 talent in Bitsko is hardly "beyond stupid".  Fulton is generally rated in the 40s due to his injury.  If the Os picked and signed Bitsko and Ginn at 30/39 from the slot savings w Veen, it would be a strong talent haul. 

I think Martin's merits are well-known here, but the issue here is that many players were impacted by the current crises in that they could not demonstrate their improved play or physical maturity.  If we look back on this draft in five years and find out that Veen, Minnesota's Meyer or Asa Lacy had brighter futures than Martin, it would not be a shock to me.

Its likely half+ of those six guys never make the majors. Its baseball not football!

Taking an inferior player to save money for later makes no sense over taking the guy you will most likely hit on!

https://sabr.org/research/chances-drafted-baseball-player-making-major-leagues-quantitative-study

The Chances of a Drafted Baseball Player Making the Major Leagues: A Quantitative Study

Table 1: First Round and Supplemental First

Number Percent
Players drafted 745 ----
High school pitchers 172 23.1
High school
position players
184 24.7
College pitchers 231 31.0    
College position players 158 21.2  
Players signed 724 97.2
High school pitchers 162 21.7
High school
position players
180 24.2
College pitchers 226 30.3
College position players 156 20.9
Played in the
major leagues
483 66.7 (of players signed)
High school pitchers 97 13.4
High school
position players
102 14.1
College pitchers 162 22.4
College position players 122 16.9
Played in the
majors 3+ yrs
339 46.8 (of players signed)
High school pitchers 55 7.6
High school
position players
76 10.5
College pitchers 113 15.6
College position players 95 13.1

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Considering I don't have access to any of the evaluations teams have used you are safe in your challenge.

That being said you maximize your value.  I'm not saying it is the best move all or even some of the time, but situations do exist. 

Please view the table I posted in my last post....Only about 30% will actually make the majors and lower will have a solid major league career,

Just now, Roll Tide said:

Please view the table I posted in my last post....Only about 30% will actually make the majors and lower will have a solid major league career,

Sure.

And maybe your BPA won't make it either.

But maybe that overslot kid you picked at #30 does.

You could make the case that getting two more highly rated players increases your odds of getting one that sticks.