O's release 37 minor leaguers

SteveA

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Latest word is they aren't having a minor league season.

No reason to finalize any cuts if that is the case.

They're not paying them. ? Don't cost them nothin. Maybe it is more to give them their freedom to get picked up elsewhere or to get real jobs.

Can teams pick up MiL free agents right now?

6 hours ago, Enjoy Terror said:

The names that actually give me pause:

James Ryan, because he was part of that most recent great pitcher draft... except he went undrafted. He just happened to be the guy they immediately signed after the draft because they must've thought highly of him.

Jomar Reyes, because I really thought he'd move quicker through the system than he did. He used to be a sort of prospect that really could've been a thing. See also: Carlos Baez.

Ben Breazeale, kinda thought he'd be a big hitting catcher and cutting bait now seemed too early? Maybe not, I'm not a scout.

Jordan Kipper, not surprised because he's had way too many arm issues. I'm willing to bet his last surgery wrecked him irreparably.

Reyes was a BP guy who couldn't take his raw power and convert it to game power. I might've tried him as a pitcher before cutting him lose because he's got a special arm but maybe they looked at it and it wasn't going to work.

Breazeale was pretty bad defensively and didn't have the power to make up for his lack of defensive game.

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Reyes was a BP guy who couldn't take his raw power and convert it to game power. I might've tried him as a pitcher before cutting him lose because he's got a special arm but maybe they looked at it and it wasn't going to work.

Breazeale was pretty bad defensively and didn't have the power to make up for his lack of defensive game.

I wonder if the disaster from taking a strong arm player and trying to put them as a pitcher recently (see: Alvarez, Dariel) was the main reason they didn’t try that.

14 hours ago, Ripken said:

Never understood the "Reyes as a prospect" thing.  Kid couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat, and that was in A ball.  Still, sad for these guys.  Rough times.

Reyes had a nice year in the Sally League as an 18 year old.

He was six months younger and on the same path at the time as Rafael Devers.

Reyes is a big guy and at the time there was reason to think that more of the 36 extra base hits in 84 games would become homers.  He never hit more than ten homers in a year and he could not get over the hump at Frederick, but there was reason to be optimistic about Reyes as a prospect heading into 2016. 

Edited by POR

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

They might be doing so already.  Was the Baltimore move news on the National level?

It’s made MLB rumors, Sports Daily, and the Athletic. So I guess.....I looked for any other team with a large cut list. I couldn’t find any

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I wonder if the disaster from taking a strong arm player and trying to put them as a pitcher recently (see: Alvarez, Dariel) was the main reason they didn’t try that.

I would certainly hope that they look at each case individually and not use a vaguely similar looking failure (in a path that may not have a high rate of success anyway) and never try it again.

Couldn't they just as easily point to the success of Givens and say "look, that worked great, let's do it again"?

58 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I would certainly hope that they look at each case individually and not use a vaguely similar looking failure (in a path that may not have a high rate of success anyway) and never try it again.

Couldn't they just as easily point to the success of Givens and say "look, that worked great, let's do it again"?

Very well could. But, like Tony said, they might have had him try it at some point, saw him pitch, and said “yeah...Let’s never put him on the mound again.” Similar to when they had Alex Murphy and Collin Woody try during “end of year” Instructional a few seasons ago.

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

It’s made MLB rumors, Sports Daily, and the Athletic. So I guess.....I looked for any other team with a large cut list. I couldn’t find any

Offhand, it doesn’t strike me as extraordinary.   Simple math tells you that if your number of total MiL roster spots is fixed, and you are drafting and signing about 30 players a year and then signing another 30ish foreign players, then about 60 players need to leave your MiL system each year.     Subtract a handful who graduate to the majors and stay there, and that’s still like 55 players that have to go.    Some become 6-year MiL free agents, but we also bring some in that way (though Elias doesn’t do as much of that as some GM’s).      In that context, 37 cuts doesn’t seem out of line.   I don’t know how many were cut prior to this.    

50 minutes ago, Frobby said:

In that context, 37 cuts doesn’t seem out of line.   I don’t know how many were cut prior to this.    

Napkin math with rough numbers, we’ve not cut that many at once in awhile but we’ve also never added 27 J2 players either, nor prepared to lose an affiliate.

This offseason:

Added 29 new domestic players

Added 13 new international players (not including J2) (+42)

Subtract 22 released earlier this offseason

Subtract 11 still in free agency or retired

Subtract 19 with new teams (-52)

Mid season:

Added 27 J2 Players (+27)

Last offseason:

Added 24 domestic players

Added 16 Int’l players (Not counting J2) (+40)

Subtract 27 released in offseason 

subtract 12 Left in free agency or retired

subtract 35 with new teams (-74)

• Thanks 3