2020 1st round pick (2): Heston Kjerstad - OF - (Junior) (Arkansas)

1 minute ago, backwardsk said:

I’d like to hear in an interview what they’ve identified in his swing and what they will work on mechanically.

Yea, it's the hands dropping I think.  He does have serious bat speed and looks like he really gets good loft, but I'm worried and pissed.  Plus he doesnt seem like he'll add any value in the field.  Here's hoping he can even stick in the outfield.  I'm baffled.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

Nowhere NEAR the risk of Hobgood my dude.

When you have the 2nd pick and you pick a guy ranked somewhere between 7 and 17 (that I've seen), you're taking a big risk.  Hobgood was ranked lower going into the draft (mid to late 1st round) but he was taken with the fifth pick.  

Elias is definitely putting his job on the line here.  

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Poor walk numbers, unexceptional speed and little defensive value.

Because teenagers usually have good walk numbers...

Most people give his bat a 60+/60+. All I've read/heard about his offensive profile has been glowing. I also havent heard that he'll have any issue in a corner OF spot. If it's true and his power is going to consistently be among the best like it's profiled one day...who cares if he's just an average defender.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Three Run Homer said:

When you have the 2nd pick and you pick a guy ranked somewhere between 7 and 17 (that I've seen), you're taking a big risk.  Hobgood was ranked lower going into the draft (mid to late 1st round) but he was taken with the fifth pick.  

Who cares where he was ranked by MLB pipeline? I've seen mocks where he's went mid/low top 10. This also has been a crazy year in which you don't have as much tape on guys and he happens to have more than others.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Es4M11 said:

I'm not ready to condemn the pick, but these are the same evaluators that blew the Mark Appel and Brady Aiken picks -- that is to say that these guys are not infallible.

My initial reaction is that I do not like the pick with who else was available.

AIKEN HAD AN INJURY ISSUE.

They didn't blow anything, they had no way to know.

• Upvote 1

I wanted Martin too, but my biggest question is why did four teams (including the Orioles) pass on him? Did they all have signing / salary concerns? Or is there something there that we're all missing?

And on a somewhat related note, my god is this team EVER going to have a plus runner on the base paths? 

1 minute ago, Three Run Homer said:

Lmao no. Sorry.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

This is the only intellectually honest opinion possible in this situation. None of know more than Elias, a NASA data wizard, and a room full of people who do this for a living. Right? Right. So...just see how it plays out. 

Would love a Luke blurb right now.

@Luke-OH probably picked him. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I wanted Martin too, but my biggest question is why did four teams (including the Orioles) pass on him? Did they all have signing / salary concerns? Or is there something there that we're all missing?

And on a somewhat related note, my god is this team EVER going to have a plus runner on the base paths? 

Cheapest tool to buy these days...