2020 1st round pick (2): Heston Kjerstad - OF - (Junior) (Arkansas)

2 minutes ago, ISU94 said:

Because teenagers usually have good walk numbers...

Most people give his bat a 60+/60+. All I've read/heard about his offensive profile has been glowing. I also havent heard that he'll have any issue in a corner OF spot. If it's true and his power is going to consistently be among the best like it's profiled one day...who cares if he's just an average defender.

I think that if you have a 60+/60+ bat than the other teams will be actively pitching around you, which should lead to some walks.

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

This is the only intellectually honest opinion possible in this situation. None of know more than Elias, a NASA data wizard, and a room full of people who do this for a living. Right? Right. So...just see how it plays out. 

Would love a Luke blurb right now.

It's intellectually honest, yes.  And it's the only caveat here, really.

Maybe the guy turns into a stud, and if so I will gladly give Elias props but for now it just doesn't make sense.  Elias will speak in generalizations and won't go into too much detail and that's expected.

Expected.  UNLIKE THIS DRAFT PICK!!!!11111

I don't think people remember this is the MLB draft.

Guys rise/fall all the time. Signability and having the opportunity to pay more for premium talents that fall due to $ demands is a thing. They still took a guy with an elite power tool with a good hit tool that was viewed by plenty as a top 7-10 prospect in this class.

Why'd Miami and KC pass on Martin? Acting as if he doesn't have his own questions regarding his tools or his ultimate upside/position...

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, ISU94 said:

Guys rise/fall all the time. Signability and having the opportunity to pay more for premium talents that fall due to $ demands is a thing. They still took a guy with an elite power tool with a good hit tool that was viewed by plenty as a top 7-10 prospect in this class.

Why'd Miami and KC pass on Martin? Acting as if he doesn't have his own questions regarding his tools or his ultimate upside/position...

Guys rise and fall all the time but there were better projected players between #2 and where Kjerstad was expected to be taken.  

1 minute ago, ISU94 said:

That along without being able to trade picks which I think is dumb rule.  The Orioles basically traded down a few spots to get extra money in the long run.