2020 1st round pick (2): Heston Kjerstad - OF - (Junior) (Arkansas)

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Gunnar Henderson,  Switchhitters - Rutschman and Santander.

Henderson hasn't grown into his power yet so he's an unknown. He very well may turn into a legitimate power hitter prospect, but for now, he's too raw to really say he's left-handed power in the system. Rutschman counts for sure despite being a switch-hitter. Santander is on the major league roster and doesn't really count as in the system but either way, while having pop, he doesn't have plus power.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

If he’s 2012-2016 Davis without the mega contract, then it’s an excellent pick. 

Well, I don’t know anything about the guy at all, I was actually surprised the draft is today.

In the past I have complained about drafting guys with one outstanding tool, and it would seem to me that when you’re picking in single digits in the draft, if you can’t find a guy with multiple outstanding tools, it’s a really bad draft. I don’t know how deep this draft is, and it’s frustrating to think that we have yet again prioritized offense and said, “we will let the defense take care of itself” how many left fielders do we have on this team already, and all of them terrible?

Yes if he duplicates Davis I will do a happy dance. And I have no idea whether he will or not. But for two overall, you better choose well.

It will be intersting who signs this season.  If their is no minor leagues this year what is really the point of signing if you are not going to play anywhere.  We could see lot high school guys go Juco for next year in hope to get higher pick in next years draft.  They won’t lose much money either. 

Just now, eddie83 said:

Hopefully they think his plate discipline is better than advertised. Considering how analytical we are, Martin aside they had to see something. 

He obviously isn’t going to get faster. 

Puts on tin foil hat:

Ownership mandated they they sign a left handed power bat to replace Davis.

Takes off tin foil hat, neatly folds it and puts it away.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I gotta agree here. Hobgood was a out of nowhere risky high school pitcher overdraft reach. Kjerstad is a college lefty hitting power hitter with good college stats. We can argue whether he was the best available at #2 for sure, but nowhere near the Hobgood situation.

Just now, MountUrCastle said:

He's a slow power bat that has trouble with plate discipline and okay to good fielding. I can not look at him and not immediately make a parallel to Roughned Odor.

Kjerstad has a slow power bat? Exactly how many games have you seen of him?

• Upvote 1