2020 1st round pick (2): Heston Kjerstad - OF - (Junior) (Arkansas)

20 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

This is why Schwarber is a part time player. This and the fact that he's a terrible defender. It has nothing to do with the depth of the Cubs.

Career BA Against Lefties

2019 - .229

2018 - .224

2017 - .171

I was parsing through some stats and saw Schwarber has crazy day/night splits too.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Naw, it's just Heyman being Boras' lackey again.  Boras is probably peeved Martin dropped.

I would love it if Martin lost money in the end due to Boras being a hardass.  I doubt if we would ever know, but it's fun to think about.

• Haha 1

You better get it right. 

You better get it right when you take a corner outfielder with a 40 run tool who was projected to go between 10 and 15 over the consensus # 2 pick, a versatile athletic MI/OF who was considered the best pure hitter in the draft. 

47 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Naw, it's just Heyman being Boras' lackey again.  Boras is probably peeved Martin dropped.

If it's true that Boras was demanding 1.1 money for Martin one of two things apparently will happen:  either Boras cost his client some serious money or the Blue Jays will pay well over slot.

33 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

You better get it right. 

You better get it right when you take a corner outfielder with a 40 run tool who was projected to go between 10 and 15 over the consensus # 2 pick, a versatile athletic MI/OF who was considered the best pure hitter in the draft. 

I think this sums it up. Willing to give the benefit of the doubt, but Elias better have gotten it right. You don't weaken a fanbase through a 100+ loss, tanking season to skip on the consensus best player in the draft.

• Upvote 1

So, Elias calls Boras before the draft and says, "I want some slot savings on my number two overall pick.  Would your guy sign for $7.0M?"

Boras: "Martin is the best hitter in the draft.  We want overslot here - closer to $8.0M."

Elias - "I have other options rated as high as Martin.  I am not sure if the Marlins will take your boy.  I hear they like Meyer."

Boras:  "Martin is not getting past the Marlins if you pass on him.  He will get more than $7M from the Marlins."

Elias:  "Not sure you are reading the market right, Scott.  I like your boy, but the Royals like Lacy. "

Boras:  "You are bluffing."

Elias:  "I am looking at a top 10 rated talent with a higher slugging % in 2020 than Tork."

Boras:  "We have done our due diligence.  It is your loss if you pass on Martin."

Elias:  "Slot for Toronto at 1:5: is $6.2M, Scott.  I am offering $7.0.  Final offer."

Boras:  "Martin is the best hitter in the draft.  He will not get to 5."

Elias:  "Enjoy the draft, Scott."

• Haha 1