2020 1st round pick (2): Heston Kjerstad - OF - (Junior) (Arkansas)

4 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

The MLB Network comp was Kyle Schwarber. Kyle Schwarber isn't even an everyday baseball player, so I really hope the team sees something there that the rest of the world does not. 

That’s true, but it had an amendment. MLB Network had Kyle Schwarber on the screen but Tim Corbin said when we drafted Heston that if he could do the comp again, it would be Todd Helton. I think that was more for the swing and the hit tool since the positions are different, but I’ll certainly take that. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ChuckS said:

The problem with this theory is that Kjerstad wasn't the next guy on the board for anyone.  He was the fifteenth.  So if Boras is being impossible with Martin, you take Lacy or Meyer or Hancock.  Or someone. Not a corner outfielder with K rate issues projected for the middle of the first round. 

I’m sorry, but this is an exaggeration, and it’s something that’s been repeated a few times. He was never the fifteenth (perhaps in BA; I’m not a subscriber).  I have only seen one mock that ever had him getting past ninth, and that was to 11th. We can say he’s a little bit of a reach (which he was, based on rankings), but almost every reputable mock had him not getting past the Rockies at nine. He was never going to make it to 15. 

And the K rate, that’s from 2019.  We can talk about that his Team USA stats, or his stats in a shortened season this year are a small sample size, but if we want to discuss his high K rate, that was a long time ago. He appears to be a better hitter now, while retaining the power. 

5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I had the same reaction as everyone else, but the guy did mash for Team USA, then mashed in the the few NCAA games this year. It’s MLB, you can’t draft off need. We need Infielders, we got one in the 2nd round. 

Ya the more I watch and read about Kjerstad, the more it makes sense, it's just not a sexy pick. I'm more disappointed with the options that are left, and I'm pretty sure the Rays took Bitsko from us. If we get Wilcox or Kelley and a Fulton or Winn, then I'll be satified

6 hours ago, Philip said:

Well, we already have a strong middle-of-order bat in Mancini, who also isn’t good on defense and can’t run very well.

Are we going to trade him in a year?

I don't see an issue there.  Mancini's a 1st baseman/DH, and Kjerstad's a RFer.  There's zero reasons they can't play together as long as Mancini has his health, and Kjretad develops as they expect.  Kjerstad's regarded as a solid if unspectacular defender.    

A site that reviews the draft last night gave us a B for Kjerstad and a C for Westburg. Not acceptable ! I've been listening to 105.7 for almost an hour with no discussion about the draft. Any one of us could have gotten an A and a B or possibly and another A with our 30th pick. Elias is not the smartest guy in the room in spite of what he might think.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, section18 said:

A site that reviews the draft last night gave us a B for Kjerstad and a C for Westburg. Not acceptable ! I've been listening to 105.7 for almost an hour with no discussion about the draft. Any one of us could have gotten an A and a B or possibly and another A with our 30th pick. Elias is not the smartest guy in the room in spite of what he might think.

If any on of us could have gotten an "A", presumably by picking chalk, how valuable is an "A" from this evaluator?

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, section18 said:

If it was about saving money they could have taken Gonzalez at $5.4 million with Kjerstad $4.9 million. Martin was $7.8 million. The Boras factor was definitely behind passing on Martin. Most of the GM's detest him.

So, maybe they think Kjersted is the best prospect for the organization?

3 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

So, maybe they think Kjersted is the best prospect for the organization?

If you don't think that Elias feels that the Kjersted pick was the best for the organization then you must feel he's trying to sabotage them in some way.

The question is, why does he feel that way?

6 hours ago, lovetoaster said:

That’s true, but it had an amendment. MLB Network had Kyle Schwarber on the screen but Tim Corbin said when we drafted Heston that if he could do the comp again, it would be Todd Helton. I think that was more for the swing and the hit tool since the positions are different, but I’ll certainly take that. 

Yeah, I don't get the Helton comparison at all. Helton's power was largely due to Coor's Field. If he had played anywhere else I think I think he would have more of a .300 / 20 HR type of player. Also, Helton was a gold glover at his position. I don't think anyone is projecting that for Kjerstad. Schwarber's a much better comp IMO.