2020 1st round pick (2): Heston Kjerstad - OF - (Junior) (Arkansas)

Just now, MountUrCastle said:

Sorry, I forgot power and speed is gifted to you upon birth, and not a trained asset. 

I know it certainly seems dumb, but I would argue that raw power and foot speed are some of the easiest things to improve upon in any sport.

Really?   So teams will draft a guy who has never shown power or foot speed and assume they can some how teach that in the minors?

Sorry, I am a skeptic.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

Really?   So teams will draft a guy who has never shown power or foot speed and assume they can some how teach that in the minors?

Sorry, I am a skeptic.

I am not saying that a player would get to a plus level of power, or a plus level of foot speed. I am sorry if my point came across like that, thats on me. My point is someone like a Martin (someone who is graded high in plate discipline and bat) could develop a bit more power as he comes through the ranks and outplay his perceived upside in that category. You will likely never see someone change on the mental aspect of the game unless you get to them early, young, and really lean into changing that tool. How many plate appearances do you think Kjerstad has in his career (total) versus say a Crow-Armstrong?

Just now, MountUrCastle said:

I am not saying that a player would get to a plus level of power, or a plus level of foot speed. I am sorry if my point came across like that, thats on me. My point is someone like a Martin (someone who is graded high in plate discipline and bat) could develop a bit more power as he comes through the ranks and outplay his perceived upside in that category. You will likely never see someone change on the mental aspect of the game unless you get to them early, young, and really lean into changing that tool. How many plate appearances do you think Kjerstad has in his career (total) versus say a Crow-Armstrong?

OK, I get your point, but supposedly player development is the forte' of our new front office and I think that CAN include things like plate discipline.   We'll see.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, MountUrCastle said:

Power I get. That's the whole point about doubles eventually translating into home runs. Speed, I don't. You can't teach speed. You might be able to to teach someone to be a more efficient base runner / stealer, but you're not going to make them faster.