Undrafted Free Agent SIgnings?

Philip

Was reading that BJ Ryan is the pitching coach at Louisiana-Lafayette where Brandon Young was signed from. Likely a relationship there.

Young, a senior starting pitcher, agreed to free agent terms Sunday with the Baltimore Orioles organization.

“I kind of knew for sure,” Young said of planning to sign even if he wasn’t drafted.

“In my exit meeting with (UL head coach Matt) Deggs and the whole coaching staff, they wanted me to go get my shot this year. I’m graduating this summer, taking my last class, so I think it was a good time for me.

“I talked to Deggs and B.J. (B.J. Ryan, a two-time All-Star pitcher who is now UL’s pitching coach), and they had nothing but good things to say,” Young added during a telephone interview Monday morning. “I appreciate them, to the fullest.”

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

This is probably just Dad getting really excited, but I hope that Thomas Girard didn't sign a MLB contract with the Orioles.  Probably just a standard minor league deal.

I would assume that wouldn't even be allowed.

My guess is that it's just subbing in MLB where NBA or NFL would make perfect sense for an analogous situation. Quicker/easier to put MLB there than to spell out that his son has signed an MiL contract following not be selected in this year's modified Rule IV amateur draft. ;)

23 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Per BA, Orioles have signed undrafted free agent TT Bowens, INF, Central CT State.

http://www.ccsubluedevils.com/sports/bsb/2018-19/bios/bowens_tt_sljo

With Haskin and Girard, this makes the third player the Orioles have either drafted or signed that went to high school in Connecticut.

Big kid (6'4", 230lb) who had a strong 2019 season (1.099 OPS over 32 games/146 PA), but a meh 2020 start (.712 OPS over 12 games/52 PA). They mention him as an INF, but his BBref page lists him as 1B/LF

He raked in the NECL in 2019 (1.114 over 39 games/181 PA), which seems to be a trend for this draft (looking at non-NCAA competition)

It's not the Cape, but it's definitely had some talent play in it in the past, here's the listing of NECL alums who were drafted in 2019

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Number5 said:

Per BA, Orioles have signed undrafted free agent TT Bowens, INF, Central CT State.

http://www.ccsubluedevils.com/sports/bsb/2018-19/bios/bowens_tt_sljo

With Haskin and Girard, this makes the third player the Orioles have either drafted or signed that went to high school in Connecticut.

We might have a steal here.  Love this guys set up and swing.  Go to 1:40, 5:27, and 8:41 to see his swing.  The last one is a dinger.  He had a really good game against a good team in these clips.  There's a few Kerjstad hits in this one too, including a huge dinger.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, ScGO's said:

We might have a steal here.  Love this guys set up and swing.  Go to 1:40, 5:27, and 8:41 to see his swing.  The last one is a dinger.  He had a really good game against a good team in these clips.  There's a few Kerjstad hits in this one too, including a huge dinger.

This dude is jacked.  The times for his at-bats though don't match the video.

• Thanks 1