Question: will the 40 man roster still exist as an in season construct this year?

SteveA

Obviously there will be guys on the 30 to 34 man taxi squad who are not on the 40 man roster.  Will putting one of those guys on the MLB 26/28/30 man roster require putting them on the 40 man roster and removing someone else?  Can that roved guy still be part of the taxi squad?  Also, does everyone on the 40 have to be part of the 60 man [MLB roster + taxi squad]?  

40 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Obviously there will be guys on the 30 to 34 man taxi squad who are not on the 40 man roster.  Will putting one of those guys on the MLB 26/28/30 man roster require putting them on the 40 man roster and removing someone else?  Can that roved guy still be part of the taxi squad?  Also, does everyone on the 40 have to be part of the 60 man [MLB roster + taxi squad]?  

Can't total confirm but....

Sounds like the 40 man roster is still the 40 man roster.  The 20 man taxi squad equals the minors.

Add a taxi squad player to the 40 man roster and someone on the 40 needs to be DFA'd.

Everyone on the 40 man roster is part of the 60.

Just from what I have seen so far.  Could change.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, bpilktree said:

This says 40 man players do not need to be on 60 man list. 

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/06/explaining-the-2020-mlb-roster-rules.html

OK, so if LeBlanc, Milone, Williams and Valaika are added to the 40 man roster.

Urias and Wynns are DFA'd to make room on the 40 and (Mancini goes on the 45 day DL).  One or both of those players could be added to the 60 after they clear waivers.

The only player I that  see may be on the 40 but left off the 60 is McKenna. He has not played well enough in AA so far to play in the majors this season.

JMG.

Agree on Milone and LeBlanc to 40; IMO neither Smith Jr, Williams, Urias, Velasquez, of Valaika have a future with the O's, time to get on with evaluation of better players. Add Diaz to the 40. OF is Stewart, Hays, Santander to start with Diaz as 4th OF. If Hays gets hurt Mullins or McKenna can come up without 40 man complications. With Ruiz, Iglesias, Alberto starting and Martin as reserve no need for Valaika to be added to the 40. Nunez plays 3rd against lefties. Mountcastle can play some OF, 1B, DH to get ABs. DFA Smith Jr., Urias, Velasquez. When roster expanded pretty sure one extra player had to be a catcher so Wynns stays on 40 but goes to Taxi.

1 hour ago, AnythingO's said:

Agree on Milone and LeBlanc to 40; IMO neither Smith Jr, Williams, Urias, Velasquez, of Valaika have a future with the O's, time to get on with evaluation of better players. Add Diaz to the 40. OF is Stewart, Hays, Santander to start with Diaz as 4th OF. If Hays gets hurt Mullins or McKenna can come up without 40 man complications. With Ruiz, Iglesias, Alberto starting and Martin as reserve no need for Valaika to be added to the 40. Nunez plays 3rd against lefties. Mountcastle can play some OF, 1B, DH to get ABs. DFA Smith Jr., Urias, Velasquez. When roster expanded pretty sure one extra player had to be a catcher so Wynns stays on 40 but goes to Taxi.

I think Holaday is ahead of Wynns.

4 hours ago, Enjoy Terror said:

You think Mullins will be on there but not McKenna?

Yes,  Mullins has some experience at AAA and the majors.   McKenna has not done that well at AA.   McKenna may be a better long term prospect but he needs to show more development to pass Mullins IMO.

However I think Williams is ahead of both of them as the backup CF/LF/RF.

14 minutes ago, AnythingO's said:

Agreed but he is 33, not in future plans and requires a 40 man move, Wynns does not. Heck I might prefer Cervanka to either just based on age.

Have you ever listened to Ben McDonald talk about when he and Hoiles were promoted to the majors.  With no MLB experience they didn't know what they were doing.   Cal Ripken ended up calling pitches from shortstop.    

The fact that Holiday has MLB experience and is mature at 33 could be a big plus to Kremer, Akin, Zimmerman and many of the young relievers.  All I heard in ST 1.0 was praise for Holiday.

29 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Have you ever listened to Ben McDonald talk about when he and Hoiles were promoted to the majors.  With no MLB experience they didn't know what they were doing.   Cal Ripken ended up calling pitches from shortstop.    

The fact that Holiday has MLB experience and is mature at 33 could be a big plus to Kremer, Akin, Zimmerman and many of the young relievers.  All I heard in ST 1.0 was praise for Holiday.

When was the last time you heard a negative word about anyone in spring training?     Remember all that happy talk about Sucre last spring?

Holiday may in fact be the best choice, but I’m certainly not judging him by some fluffy quotes in spring training.    

37 minutes ago, wildcard said:

While all of that praise may well be true, for 2020, I don't care. I want as much of an extended look at the players with a chance to be on the 26 man in 2021. This season at best is 60 a game sprint with a fair likelihood of being less if some text positive. We have interesting prospects with nowhere to play and continue developing. I like Valaika and Williams and Holiday if the goal were to win a few more games but I would rather get a look a potential future pieces than to fight to move from 16 to 19 wins in 2020. So I cut 2 infielders with almost no MLB experience but are the same age as Martin, Ruiz to free 40 man spots for Milone and LeBlanc and add Diaz to the remaining spot. The 40 man completes your starting 30 and the first 10 on the Taxi. The remaining 20 or so are for true prospects to have a place to work on developing in this year of chaos. If we need to go past 40 players in 60 games someone crapped the bed or got hurt necessitating a 40 man move.

20 minutes ago, Frobby said:

When was the last time you heard a negative word about anyone in spring training?     Remember all that happy talk about Sucre last spring?

Holiday may in fact be the best choice, but I’m certainly not judging him by some fluffy quotes in spring training.    

Buck talking about Kim.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

I think Holaday is ahead of Wynns.

I think they might keep both of them and not have Holoday on the 40 right away.

I suspect they probably take a longer look at Sisco but use Severino if/when one of the younger guys comes up to pitch. 

Plus, keeping both around incase of an injury (or virus scare) would be smart. They will probably also add Adley, unless they get a heads up about a Fall League and roster construction for that.