Orioles Sign Heston Kjerstad

weams

2 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

Other than us, I don't think anyone cares if we get everyone signed for a small amount under the total available.  Not sure that the "optics" matter to anyone else.

It gives media members ammunition to call the 2020 draft money motivated.  Now does that really impact anything?  Probably not.

1 minute ago, weams said:

I think 300k left on the table when all the juggling is done is probably not a big deal. It does however negate my promise that the Orioles would spend all of their money. Servideo is draft eligible in case he wants to quibble over it. 

Also, we have never seen the documents. The 300 k may have been spent and improperly reported. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t see any reason that they would have to pay him more than slot.

It's more that I would have assumed HK would have negotiated some minimum + whatever was left over in the pool once everyone else was signed as part of his underslot agreement pre-draft.

Servidio could be an overslot guy. He has ability to go back to school and some outlets were very high on him (including Fangraphs).

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

It's more that I would have assumed HK would have negotiated some minimum + whatever was left over in the pool once everyone else was signed as part of his underslot agreement pre-draft.

Servidio could be an overslot guy. He has ability to go back to school and some outlets were very high on him (including Fangraphs).

He’s not going back to school over a few hundred K when you have no idea if you will be playing college ball next year or you get hurt, etc..

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He’s not going back to school over a few hundred K when you have no idea if you will be playing college ball next year or you get hurt, etc..

But you are willing to believe that some of those couple hundreds of thousands of dollar might be misreported. Right? I've run into that in past season recaps. 

2 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

Hard to imagine his price has gone up since the days when he was at his peak popularity. But considering some of the baseball arb results, maybe it has.

You are kidding right?  Boomer nostalgia concert ticket prices are high.  Fleetwood Mac tickets average $228 a pop and they peaked in 1977.

Just now, interloper said:

Is it common for most teams to spend every last penny? Honest question. 

I don't track it.  From what I've noticed yea, teams tend to spend it all.

I think it would just look worse for the O's if they don't.  Since they went with an underslot choice at #2 and they have been slashing payroll.

1 minute ago, interloper said:

Is it common for most teams to spend every last penny? Honest question. 

I think it is relatively impossible to tell as the books are not open. We get most of our info from agents. Or agents agents in the media.