Orioles Sign Heston Kjerstad

weams

2 hours ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

It's more that I would have assumed HK would have negotiated some minimum + whatever was left over in the pool once everyone else was signed as part of his underslot agreement pre-draft.

Servidio could be an overslot guy. He has ability to go back to school and some outlets were very high on him (including Fangraphs).

I'm told there's an agreement with Servideo already and this is nothing more than getting everything straight. It will be interesting to see what he signs for though and if the Orioles leave money on the table. 

If they do, it will be interesting to see what players they could have afforded with the left over money instead of Kjerstad.

• Upvote 1

The Padres went underslot with their first pick and got Cole Wilcox in the third round. The Nats went underslot in the fourth and fifth round and got Cole Henry in the second round.  The Mets went underslot in the 3rd and 5th to get J.T Ginn in the second round (and exceeded their pool by $324K). The White Sox went underslot in the third, fourth AND fifth to add Jared Kelley in the second round.

The Orioles went underslot and signed Mayo and Baumler but will likely leave $300K+ on the board.

Of the 13 teams that have signed all their draft picks, per Sportrac, only the Braves ($131,000) and Mariners ($304,400) have left more than $7,300 of their pool unspent. 7 teams exceeded their pool.

If the Orioles sign Servideo at slot it is either (1) an indication of cheapness, (2) a screw-up in drafting philosophy and/or knowing what it would take to sign draftees, (3) a belief that the Orioles have some hidden insight in scouting and are better at recognizing talent than the other 29 teams, or (4) a combination of the above.

• Upvote 3

39 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I'm told there's an agreement with Servideo already and this is nothing more than getting everything straight. It will be interesting to see what he signs for though and if the Orioles leave money on the table. 

If they do, it will be interesting to see what players they could have afforded with the left over money instead of Kjerstad.

I'd have paid him.

I still believe Kjerstad was a steal for the amount of his bonus. 
I guess saving 300k, if that’s what happens, can be viewed as cheap. But all of that aside for a minute, the Orioles are paying their employees for the entire year despite the shutdown. That’s not cheap. Maybe that 300k can go toward that. Nah, never mind. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, scOtt said:

I don't see the obsession on here about spending every last drop of money! We've spent $13+ MILLION. What is a couple hundred thousand? The odd leftovers that didn't figure into the 6 deals. Step. Back. From the ledge!

From my vantage point the draft is one of the best ways to get talent into the organization.  I'd prefer they maximize the return.  I have to wonder if they don't spend that 300K if it could have been used at some point to secure a better prospect.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, calsmanystances said:

An admission by the team and the player (obviously his agent as well), that but for the O’s picking him 2nd overall, none believe he would have gone prior to 8th overall (slot bonus of $5.18 million).

Everyone already knew that this was approximately his market value. That doesn't mean the O's or the player think he's the 8th best player in this draft.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

From my vantage point the draft is one of the best ways to get talent into the organization.  I'd prefer they maximize the return.  I have to wonder if they don't spend that 300K if it could have been used at some point to secure a better prospect.

Whatever. YMMV

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

The Padres went underslot with their first pick and got Cole Wilcox in the third round. The Nats went underslot in the fourth and fifth round and got Cole Henry in the second round.  The Mets went underslot in the 3rd and 5th to get J.T Ginn in the second round (and exceeded their pool by $324K). The White Sox went underslot in the third, fourth AND fifth to add Jared Kelley in the second round.

The Orioles went underslot and signed Mayo and Baumler but will likely leave $300K+ on the board.

Of the 12 teams that have signed all their draft picks, per Sportrac, only the Braves ($131,000) have left more than $7,300 of their pool unspent. 7 teams exceeded their pool.

If the Orioles sign Servideo at slot it is either (1) an indication of cheapness, (2) a screw-up in drafting philosophy and/or knowing what it would take to sign draftees, (3) a belief that the Orioles have some hidden insight in scouting and are better at recognizing talent than the other 29 teams, or (4) a combination of the above.

I will go for none of the above.

I think it indicates that the  O's took a risk at going underslot with Kjerstad without having an agreement in place at the time for the draft and wanted some cushion in case there needed to go higher to sign any of their draft choices.   

• Upvote 1

Just now, scOtt said:

Whatever. YMMV

Right, because they don't need all the talent they can get.  They are busy killing it on the field with the current guys.  Who cares if they could have picked up someone better?  Why go through all the effort of getting the best six players they can?

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Right, because they don't need all the talent they can get.  They are busy killing it on the field with the current guys.  Who cares if they could have picked up someone better?  Why go through all the effort of getting the best six players they can?

Money does not directly equate with talent. And you KNOW that.

I think they did very nicely in the draft. And save a little $$$ off the top. (Depending on Servido's deal...)

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, scOtt said:

Money does not directly equate with talent. And you KNOW that.

I think they did very nicely in the draft. And save a little $$$ off the top. (Depending on Servido's deal...)

I know you generally have to pay for quality.

I think they did well, but considering that they had the 1-2 pick and the largest pool of money they should have had the best draft.

Do you think they are going to catch up to the rest of the AL East with "very nice"?

• Upvote 1