The 40 man roster will be a bottleneck this season

wildcard

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Honestly we don't know if winning will ever be a priority for ownership.

So you dont care to win why pretend and do the following?

You decide to hire Elias and pretty much give him carte blache on front office decisions, and he pretty much cleans house, even "no-touch" Brady is gone.

This looks like a total rebuild from ground up, minor league system, front office, scouting department, and adding coaches to scout in the DR and a facility there.

3 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

So you dont care to win why pretend and do the following?

You decide to hire Elias and pretty much give him carte blache on front office decisions, and he pretty much cleans house, even "no-touch" Brady is gone.

This looks like a total rebuild from ground up, minor league system, front office, scouting department, and adding coaches to scout in the DR and a facility there.

They had to hire someone.

They didn't give him Carte Blache, it's pretty obvious he's under spending restraints and Davis is a thing.

They didn't have a GM.  You need a GM if you want to win or if you want to suck every dollar you can out of the franchise.

Once they start actively spending money on the ML team we will know.  Before that happens it's speculation that it will.

19 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Most of these guys are the cheap.  But they are trying to find the best cheapest players they can acquire.

Who they will release a week later and find another cheapest best player available. Repeat 30 times and you have the Orioles season.  They aren't trying to win games this year.  The 40 man roster crunch doesn't exist for the Orioles this year. . They plan to have two minor league independent teams playing in Nashville this season.  Expect the Orioles to be watching those games very closely. 

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

They had to hire someone.

They didn't give him Carte Blache, it's pretty obvious he's under spending restraints and Davis is a thing.

They didn't have a GM.  You need a GM if you want to win or if you want to suck every dollar you can out of the franchise.

Once they start actively spending money on the ML team we will know.  Before that happens it's speculation that it will.

Carte Blache over front office personal decisions.

I wont beat up Elias for not be able to get the authority to dump Davis, just because you feel he should be gone.

I doubt there would be any other owner in MLB, willing to dump that amount of money. I understand the situation, he isnt doing anything to earn the money anyway, its a lost cause, just dump it and be done, but getting owner by in, is never easy.

I think Frobby said it best back in ST, we need to get through this season, and then see what Elias does for ST 2021 about entering the FA market.

If it wasnt Frobby, my apologies.

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yes.  Not sure why you are asking.

We don't know what the actual priorities are for ownership. 

The main goal might be to make as much money as possible off the team.

We know that Peter was willing to spend in certain situations.  We don't know that about the sons.  Not yet.

Well, this shows something:

Orioles Officially Hire Mike Elias as Highest-Paid First-Year General Manager in MLB History

https://www.12up.com/posts/6224605-orioles-officially-hire-mike-elias-as-highest-paid-first-year-general-manager-in-mlb-history

Just now, Redskins Rick said:

Carte Blache over front office personal decisions.

I wont beat up Elias for not be able to get the authority to dump Davis, just because you feel he should be gone.

I doubt there would be any other owner in MLB, willing to dump that amount of money. I understand the situation, he isnt doing anything to earn the money anyway, its a lost cause, just dump it and be done, but getting owner by in, is never easy.

I think Frobby said it best back in ST, we need to get through this season, and then see what Elias does for ST 2021 about entering the FA market.

If it wasnt Frobby, my apologies.

Giving him control of front office hires is irrelevant to the point I am making.

If you have evidence that Sig is pulling in 5M a year I'll change my mind.

Just now, wildcard said:

Well, this shows something:

Orioles Officially Hire Mike Elias as Highest-Paid First-Year General Manager in MLB History

https://www.12up.com/posts/6224605-orioles-officially-hire-mike-elias-as-highest-paid-first-year-general-manager-in-mlb-history

That you know how to bold things?

So someone who was hired as an executive vice president makes more than prior first year general mangers?  Shocking.

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

So someone who was hired as an executive vice president makes more than prior first year general mangers?  Shocking.

Just cut and paste.  I didn't bold it.

It shows the Son's spent.

Let's be honest here, the only players on the 40-man roster that should concern Elias are ones that either will be part of a winning future in 2-3 years, or can bring in players by trade for players who may.

Out of that list, the following players should be protected: (And I'm stretching it for some)

Pitchers:
Keegan Akin (maybe)
Miguel Castro
Alex Cobb (Trade potential)
Mychal Givens (trade)
Hunter Harvey
Dean Kremer (maybe)
John Means
Tanner Scott (stretch)

Catchers:
None

Infielders:
Ryan Mountcastle
Renato Nunez (stretch)

Outfielders
Austin Hays
Trey Mancini (trade)
Anthony Santander (maybe)

So no, I don't see a 40-man crunch of concern by Elias.

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think it shows that he was a talent in high demands, and if they wanted a cheap body, that could have been easy to find, even in house.

22 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Let's be honest here, the only players on the 40-man roster that should concern Elias are ones that either will be part of a winning future in 2-3 years, or can bring in players by trade for players who may.

Out of that list, the following players should be protected: (And I'm stretching it for some)

Pitchers:
Keegan Akin (maybe)
Miguel Castro
Alex Cobb (Trade potential)
Mychal Givens (trade)
Hunter Harvey
Dean Kremer (maybe)
John Means
Tanner Scott (stretch)

Catchers:
None

Infielders:
Ryan Mountcastle
Renato Nunez (stretch)

Outfielders
Austin Hays
Trey Mancini (trade)
Anthony Santander (maybe)

So no, I don't see a 40-man crunch of concern by Elias.

I can't agree with this.  

The O's will be play in 90+ degree heat and high humidity.  How long do you want he games to last?  4 hours?   If pitchers can't get out of innings that is where this is headed.  There are pitchers that are not on your list that may be able to lower the game time.

I am interested to see if Holaday's experience can help the young pitchers or just pitchers in general.

The way Covid is going several players or maybe more could test positive.   They need to keep as many players as they can just to get through the season without being force to call up players that they don't want to call up.

There is more to this season then just who will be with he team in 2023 or who can be traded IMO.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Not grumpy, just facts.  A lot of these guys are just interchangeable.  

There are vast territories filled with guys who OPS .677 and have a 5.44 ERA.  If Elias is very, very diligent he could push the Orioles to 19 wins this year, and one of those gems could mentor the heck out of Ryan Mountcastle and get him an extra 25 career hits.