Richie Martin out with a broken wrist (Update: Surgery, Out for Season)

wildcard

5 hours ago, ArtVanDelay said:

I feel good when we have good players on the team.

Was Villar good?

Overall, he was very frustrating.He drove me nuts.

Who is good?

Puig is not a bad player, Though there have certainly been multiple comments about his attitude, but signing him will not give us a “trade chip” because anybody who wants him can sign him now, and he certainly isn’t going to get more valuable after 25 games with the Orioles.

It’s much better to give playing time to the guys who have a future, and let them develop, or to the guys who have no future, and give them a reward for their hard work.

3 hours ago, ArtVanDelay said:

Those four guys combined for -14 defensive runs saved last season.  Maybe Martin would fit better at 2B but it’s still a below-average defensive infield at best.

Their reputations make them all seem better

1 hour ago, Philip said:

Was Villar good?

Overall, he was very frustrating.He drove me nuts.

Who is good?

Puig is not a bad player, Though there have certainly been multiple comments about his attitude, but signing him will not give us a “trade chip” because anybody who wants him can sign him now, and he certainly isn’t going to get more valuable after 25 games with the Orioles.

It’s much better to give playing time to the guys who have a future, and let them develop, or to the guys who have no future, and give them a reward for their hard work.

What was so frustrating about Villar?  He played all 162 and put up 4 WAR, stole 40 bases while only caught 9 times, hit 24 home runs.  He was easily the best player on the team.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

What was so frustrating about Villar?  He played all 162 and put up 4 WAR, stole 40 bases while only caught 9 times, hit 24 home runs.  He was easily the best player on the team.

I just went and looked up his defense to make sure I was correct when I said his defense is terrible. So, yeah, his defense is terrible, at every position he played. And very frustrating to watch, because sometimes he’s OK and sometimes ...not

2 minutes ago, Philip said:

I just went and looked up his defense to make sure I was correct when I said his defense is terrible. So, yeah, his defense is terrible, at every position he played. And very frustrating to watch, because sometimes he’s OK and sometimes ...not

His defense was bad but so was everyone else’s.  Was there a single decent defensive player on this team besides maybe Davis?  And Hays at the end of the year.

14 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

His defense was bad but so was everyone else’s.  Was there a single decent defensive player on this team besides maybe Davis?  And Hays at the end of the year.

Maybe Severino, but your point stands. We were bad.

1 hour ago, ArtVanDelay said:

The problem with Jonathan wasn’t that he was bad, but that he was periodically incompetent. He would make plays that looked like he was a blind man without his cane, turn a routine double play ball into the brothers karamazov. 

I did not check whether his defense was worst on the team, although he was terrible at every position he played, But the only other person who really came across as incompetent were Smith, Trumbo and Nunez. The other guys were just limited.

But saying, “hey, everybody was bad,” Although true, doesn’t change the fact that he was dreadful to watch, and I’m glad I don’t have to watch him anymore.

Martin made errors, but he never looked incompetent. I would rather have that any day, every day.

18 minutes ago, Philip said:

The problem with Jonathan wasn’t that he was bad, but that he was periodically incompetent. He would make plays that looked like he was a blind man without his cane, turn a routine double play ball into the brothers karamazov. 

I did not check whether his defense was worst on the team, although he was terrible at every position he played, But the only other person who really came across as incompetent were Smith, Trumbo and Nunez. The other guys were just limited.

But saying, “hey, everybody was bad,” Although true, doesn’t change the fact that he was dreadful to watch, and I’m glad I don’t have to watch him anymore.

Martin made errors, but he never looked incompetent. I would rather have that any day, every day.

Doesn't DJ Stewart make the cut for oversliding a ball and having it go off his head?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

We should totally judge guys on a single play.

Stevie Wilkerson is the best center-fielder ever, that catch in Fenway proves it.

I don't recall too many really good plays from DJ, nor did he appear to have a lot of speed.

25 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Doesn't DJ Stewart make the cut for oversliding a ball and having it go off his head?

That might be the worst single play, but Trumbo was horrible every day. If I had a nickel for every time I heard, “and Trumbo will back off and play it as a single.” On a lazy liner that any fool with a reasonable eye could have caught...Nunez Didn’t play too much in the field, so we didn’t suffer from him much, Smith… Well, at least not to many balls get hit to left field, but middle infielders are very busy all day long.

Toby Harrah Set a major league record for being the only shortstop in history to go through a doubleheader without having a single play.

So, needless to say, Villar Had lots of chances to make us cringe, and he took advantage too often.

10 hours ago, SteveA said:

I don't recall too many really good plays from DJ, nor did he appear to have a lot of speed.

According to Statcast he was exactly league average in speed. I thought the scouting reports always said his defense was about average too, he just doesn't look good doing it.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/leaderboard/sprint_speed?year=2019&position=&team=BAL&min=10