Harvey latest Oriole headed to IL with elbow tightness

Roll Tide

14 hours ago, tntoriole said:

Hunter unfortunately is just one of those guys who are just not meant to happen. 

He could be the new Rudy Seanez.  17 years in the majors with seasons including innings totals of 0, 3, 5, 5, 8, 21, 23, 27, 33, 34... That's 10 years combined with about the same number of innings John Means threw last year, mostly due to major injuries.  And he pitched until he was 39.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, tntoriole said:

Hunter unfortunately is just one of those guys who are just not meant to happen. 

Pretty much where I'm at.  I've reached the point of concluding that he is just never going to be healthy enough to be a productive major leaguer over the long term.  If they can get him healthy (and that's assuming we're not headed down the road of Tommy John #2), and he has any trade value, they should consider moving him.

2 hours ago, Philip said:

Don’t you still have Holaday ahead of Sisco? Holaday, after all, is a real catcher.

Honestly, it probably makes more sense in this lost, shortened season to give Sisco more PAs and playing time since he's younger than Holoday and Holoday is nothing more than a stop gap back up catcher. I don't think Sisco is ever going to be an every day average big league catcher but I KNOW what Holoday is and it's not like the Orioles look like they are planning on using young pitchers who need guidance this year.

If the Orioles were going with a young staff I'd want Holoday and Severino but looking at the most likely pitching staff, it really doesn't matter because there are so few of these guys who will be part of a winning Orioles team in the future.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

He could be the new Rudy Seanez.  17 years in the majors with seasons including innings totals of 0, 3, 5, 5, 8, 21, 23, 27, 33, 34... That's 10 years combined with about the same number of innings John Means threw last year, mostly due to major injuries.  And he pitched until he was 39.

He did slightly better than Hobgood.

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

They are similar talent levels as well. Seanez had a great arm but never could stay healthy. 

Just now, Tony-OH said:

Honestly, it probably makes more sense in this lost, shortened season to give Sisco more PAs and playing time since he's younger than Holoday and Holoday is nothing more than a stop gap back up catcher. I don't think Sisco is ever going to be an every day average big league catcher but I KNOW what Holoday is and it's not like the Orioles look like they are planning on using young pitchers who need guidance this year.

If the Orioles were going with a young staff I'd want Holoday and Severino but looking at the most likely pitching staff, it really doesn't matter because there are so few of these guys who will be part of a winning Orioles team in the future.

Is Sisco better behind the plate that he has shown us last season, because, if he isnt, then thats just a waste of PAs. IMO

Just now, Tony-OH said:

They are similar talent levels as well. Seanez had a great arm but never could stay healthy. 

Which kind of surprises me about Harvey, given his DNA and father being a pretty decent big league pitcher. I guess that lead some of us, to have a higher level of hype towards his abilities, than somebody else without that DNA.

9 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Agreed.  This whole "season" is going to be a glorified extended spring training, so why not use it to develop guys like Sisco and give them the reps?

9 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Is Sisco better behind the plate that he has shown us last season, because, if he isnt, then thats just a waste of PAs. IMO

Play the crap out of him and let him sink (show no improvement behind or at the plate), or swim (hits and improves defensively).  He's still young and could theoretically continue to improve.

51 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Is Sisco better behind the plate that he has shown 

No.

Well, let me qualify that. His strikeout rate is marginally down and his work rate is marginally up, but both are still terrible. And his defense is incompetent. He made plays last year that would’ve looked bad in little league.

but sure, play him. I do believe in God.

Edited by Philip

It seems young pitchers especially higher draft picks are taught to speak up an bring to attention any discomfort they feel

It would behoove them to understand that past a point (age) they need to either learn to pitch thru some discomfort or realize that they will soon be released and lose any chance at a career.

1 hour ago, webbrick2010 said:

It seems young pitchers especially higher draft picks are taught to speak up an bring to attention any discomfort they feel

It would behoove them to understand that past a point (age) they need to either learn to pitch thru some discomfort or realize that they will soon be released and lose any chance at a career.

I say they just go back to the "is he a witch?" method of seeing which pitchers had endurance and a high pain threshold that was almost universal 40-50 or more years ago.  You figured out who could pitch 40 starts, 300 innings by having everyone throw 40 starts, 300 innings starting at the age of 18.  If they did it, great!  If not, too bad, but at least he's not a witch. 

At least today you can take the thousands of broken pitchers and give them surgeries that hadn't been invented in 1965.

o

(JULY 30th)

Orioles reliever Hunter Harvey left the alternate camp site in Bowie yesterday, and joined his teammates at Camden Yards for the home opener. He arrived at the ballpark at around 3 PM, and headed through the gate reserved for players.

Harvey was placed on the 10-Day IL list with a right forearm strain, and wont be activated today. However, left-hander John Means is coming off of the IL, and making the start against the Yankees.

Manager Brandon Hyde already knew that Harvey and reliever Dillon Tate were behind Means, who was shelved more as a precaution. 

Harvey is feeling a lot better, Hyde said yesterday. However, there are multiple steps that must be taken to get him back onto the active roster.

Or just to get him on a mound.

He's starting to throw, and he's starting to play catch, so I think that hes progressing nicely, Hyde said. I know that our medical people are encouraged with how hes feeling, and hopefully he starts his progression now with some catch play, and then hell start to extend that out.

Hopefully, well see him sometime soon.

This, That, and the Other (Hunter Harvey)

(By Roch Kubatko)

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2020/07/this-that-and-the-other-196.html

o

He's starting to throw, and he's starting to play catch, so I think that hes progressing nicely,

I wonder how many times that has been said about Harvey since he was drafted? I feel bad for the young man because he has a ton of talent, but his body is making it hard for him to stay on a competitive mound.