Tommy Milone 2020

Il BuonO

11 minutes ago, SteveA said:

First lefty Opening Day starter for the O's since Bedard in 2007.

Before that, Key in 1997.

Before that Ballard in 1991.

I put him exactly in the same category as EB! Well, maybe he's a better interview.

I'm not super high on Milone or anything, but one stat that did catch my eye:

Last season he had the lowest WHIP (1.119) and H9 (8.2) of his 11 year MLB career.

That's a lower WHIP than ANY of the 35+ pitchers the O's used last year, exept for Hunter Harvey.  And unlike Harvey, Milone threw 111.2 innings.

That gave me at least some hope.  At 33, he seems to have learned to limit base runners.

He may be starting Opening Day, but that's out of necessity given how the rest of the rotation was lined up. The only way he finishes the season in the rotation is if someone gets hurt. We have Cobb, LeBlanc, Milone, Wojo and Means, but I expect Stewart, Akin and Kremer to get looks and someone will have to make room.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

The stat that caught my eye is that he gave up more homers than walks.  24 homers in 111.2 innings.  Ouch, but only 23 walks.  :)

He's the new, left-handed Josh Towers.  Or Ken Dixon.  Remember when 24 homers in 111 innings indicated that you'd torn something real serious?  In 2020 that gets you an opening day gig.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

He may be starting Opening Day, but that's out of necessity given how the rest of the rotation was lined up. The only way he finishes the season in the rotation is if someone gets hurt. We have Cobb, LeBlanc, Milone, Wojo and Means, but I expect Stewart, Akin and Kremer to get looks and someone will have to make room.

I like that everyone else stays in their spot.  It was a good pickup, IMO.  He may not be awesome but at least he has the potential to make 5-10 starts and perform at a MLB level.

o

BOSTORESOX )))))) (JULY 24th) )))))) [OPENING DAY]

Andrew Benintendi - LF

Julio Daniel "J.D." Martinez - DH

Rafael Devers Calcano - 3B

Xander Bogaerts - SS

Kevin Pillar - RF

Christian Vazquez - C

Michael Chavis - 1B

Jackie Bradley, Jr. - CF

Jose Francisco Peraza Polo - 2B

Nathan Edward Eovaldi - RHP )) (2-1, 5.99 ERA)

https://www.mlb.com/starting-lineups

o

On 7/23/2020 at 2:10 PM, Ruzious said:

I predict he will be leading the league in something tonight.  Maybe somethings. I hope there's at least one positive stat that he leads the league in.  It may take some creativity to figure out what it is.  

Fewest balks?

So let's revisit last night's game.  I think use the same pitchers, except Hess, and utilize them differently.

Open with Carroll, maybe his control is better with the longer bullpen before the game. See if the Sox can catch up to 97 out of the gates.  Goes 1-2 IP before bringing in Milone

Milone looked great the first time through the line up. He probably doesn't have the stuff to always get through the line up a second time, definitely not a 3rd time.  See if you can get 2-4IP from Milone.

Then go to Lakins after the sox have seen the low 3/4 lefty arm slot for a few innings.  Now they are seeing RH with more velo and cutters.  

Maybe it doesn't change anything. I just think the O's need to be more creative with the tools they have if they want to see better outcomes

• Upvote 2