May be the end of the season. Get it while it is here. Manfred.

weams

25 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Don’t think they could do it at the Arizona spring facilities? They’re all within a few miles of each other. 

It’s not the same as the Orlando complex.  Everyone in there is tested, they live there, eat there, etc.

Arizona’s complexes are in towns with other people.  Some are an hour and 20 minutes apart.  They wouldn’t be able to have the same controls in place as the NBA.

3 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

It’s not the same as the Orlando complex.  Everyone in there is tested, they live there, eat there, etc.

Arizona’s complexes are in towns with other people.  Some are an hour and 20 minutes apart.  They wouldn’t be able to have the same controls in place as the NBA.

Not the mention the NBA only has like 1/3 the number of players (about half per team, and only about 2/3 of the league is participating).  The bubble is probably the safest thing to do but it’s tough to implement, and we have no idea if the MLBPA was on board. 

So in one week of MLB we've had a significant outbreak on one team and possibly the beginnings of one on another.   No other team sport has had that.

People compare to the NBA and NHL but those sports chose to go with bubbles, and the NHL's bubble is in a nation with a much lower Covid incidence and more than half their players are from that country.

You can't really compare to the NFL -- yet -- because they are just starting camp.

But the EPL is played in a country with a fairly high incidence of Covid-19, just like MLB.   They started up their season in June and played 7 or 8 weeks, and I don't think they had any significant team outbreak.   They completed their season last Sunday, never had to postpone a game.   They played in front of empty seats.

What's the difference?   I'm just not sure.   My assumption is that the first Marlin got it by going out to a bar or restaurant that was crowded with a lot of unmasked people and lack of social distancing.   And I don't think there is significant transmission from brief encounters outdoors, so I assume the rest of the Marlins got it by being indoors in close contact with each other... the clubhouse, locker room, team bus, airport, or airplane.

But what I don't get is why the EPL managed to play almost 2 months without an issue like that?

3 hours ago, backwardsk said:

Whether they have true bubbles or not, they could have had an actual policy beyond "teams and individuals can determine what they think is safe." That was just asking for trouble and pretty much guaranteed an outbreak.