O's-Marlins gametimes announced

MurphDogg

2 minutes ago, survivedc said:

I went on the tour last year and I believe they said the outfield can drain 16 inches of rain an hour. That number sounds insane but I’m fairly certain that’s what they said.

Even if that’s inaccurate the tour is well worth it.

https://groundskeeper.mlblogs.com/how-do-baseball-fields-drain-so-fast-5a85a2b2fdd0

Found this from 2006, says fields can do 7-10 inches. Not 16 but still pretty incredible.

The bigger question is, when will the Marlins roster be announced?

Tough to prepare as a starting pitcher when you don't have any idea who will even be on the team you are playing tonight. 

The Marlins have announced some additions to the roster, but no subtractions yet, so there is no way of having any idea what the lineup will look like tonight.

• Upvote 1

This is going to be a diminished Marlins roster for certain. 

How will everyone feel about the season if we are 9-3 after 12 games or even 8-4?  Will there start to be talk of playoffs? 

For me it's getting to the 30 game mark with a record at or better than .500. 

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, SteveA said:

And there have been others in rain shortened games.   The 7 inning games starting yesterday are just the first SCHEDULED 7 inning games in MLB history.   There have been hundreds of rain shortend 5, 6, 7, and 8 inning games over the years, and I'm sure some of them were complete games.

21 hours ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Are those credited as CG? Was going to add the caveat of "scheduled" as you mention above, but was unsure of whether a pitcher is credited the CG in such an instance

21 hours ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

It appears that they are. Looking at Gerrit Cole's reference page, he had a 5 IP CG against the Nationals this year.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/c/colege01.shtml

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/gl.fcgi?id=colege01&t=p&year=2020

On July 6, 1913 the Cards played the Cubs in the second game of a doubleheader.  For some reason the game was forfeited to the Cards in between the top and bottom of the 4th inning.  Slim Sallee pitched all three innings for the Cards and, strangely, was given credit for a complete game.  By modern rules no stats count in a forfeit, but perhaps they did in 1913?  Because it looks like his 3-inning complete game win is part of his official stats for '13.

There were two other cases in the early 1900s of pitchers getting complete games of less than four innings.

There have been about 50 cases of (apparently) rain-shortened games where pitchers got credit for complete games of less than five innings, since it only takes 4 1/2 to have an official game.

Edit: from the SABR forfeit log:

The second game of a doubleheader was forfeited to St. Louis by umpire Mal Eason. Both managers had agreed before the start of the game that it would end at 5 PM to allow the visiting team to catch a train to the east. Chicago manager Johnny Evers started Orval Overall, who had not started a game in over a month while nursing a bad back. Overall allowed three runs in the first inning. When Chicago came to bat in the second, they started to stall. Overall came to the plate and took a strike. Evers then summoned a player in the clubhouse as a pinch hitter, who took his time coming to the plate. When the pitcher started his wind up, the batter stepped away to wipe his eyes. The umpire called a strike. The next inning the new pitcher, Ed Ruelbach, took his time warming up. In the fourth St. Louis' Ivey Wingo laid down a bunt. The pitcher threw the ball wild to first base and Wingo headed for second. The ball came in to second but no effort was made to put the runner out. Wingo headed for third and no play was made on him again. The umpire had enough and called the game. - New York Time; 07/07/1913, p 6 (St. Louis)

No mention of why the stats counted...

2 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

The Marlins have announced some additions to the roster, but no subtractions yet, so there is no way of having any idea what the lineup will look like tonight.

A day for Means to really dig into the Zen of just throwing the ball to the catcher's glove.

I do see Lopez at least announced as their SP.

3 hours ago, survivedc said:

https://groundskeeper.mlblogs.com/how-do-baseball-fields-drain-so-fast-5a85a2b2fdd0

Found this from 2006, says fields can do 7-10 inches. Not 16 but still pretty incredible.

I seem to remember they revamped the drainage (which already was excellent) someone in the last few offseasons.    So it could be more than 7-10 now.   

3 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

On July 6, 1913 the Cards played the Cubs in the second game of a doubleheader.  For some reason the game was forfeited to the Cards in between the top and bottom of the 4th inning.  Slim Sallee pitched all three innings for the Cards and, strangely, was given credit for a complete game.  By modern rules no stats count in a forfeit, but perhaps they did in 1913?  Because it looks like his 3-inning complete game win is part of his official stats for '13.

There were two other cases in the early 1900s of pitchers getting complete games of less than four innings.

There have been about 50 cases of (apparently) rain-shortened games where pitchers got credit for complete games of less than five innings, since it only takes 4 1/2 to have an official game.

Edit: from the SABR forfeit log:

No mention of why the stats counted...

Orval Overall.  Man, what a great name!  I might need to form a new band just to use that as a stage name.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, ChuckS said:

This is going to be a diminished Marlins roster for certain. 

How will everyone feel about the season if we are 9-3 after 12 games or even 8-4?  Will there start to be talk of playoffs? 

For me it's getting to the 30 game mark with a record at or better than .500. 

I think people will start getting excited if the O's sweep the Marlins.  The sixteen-team playoff and 60-game season are such wild cards.  

In 2019, with the 16-team playoff format, the Rangers (78-84) would have made the playoffs.  That win% (.481) translates to around 28 or 29 wins in a 60-game season. 

So if the O's start the season 12-3?  They may only need to go 16-29 to finish the season and snag an 8 seed. 

• Upvote 1