Orioles Beat The Phillies In 10 Innings (8/11)

cboemmeljr

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Definitely an exciting, fun game but there was a lot of bad baseball last night.  That game was gifted to the Os and they did everything they could to return the gift.

That said, you gotta love the heart of this team.  They aren’t that talented, although there are a few guys who could potential long term pieces, but they give max effort and compete hard.  Hyde has these guys playing well for him right now.  That’s all we can ask for, especially for a team that lacks the horses needed to contend over the long haul.

Totally agree. That was a fun game, but both teams made a lot of dumb mistakes. I imagine Philly fans were very, very pissed last night. 

16 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Willie Wilson had 13 inside the park homers.  He was really fast, he played in the era of old-school concrete-backed Astroturf, and Royals/Kaufmann Stadium is 387 to RC and has that curve at the pole that sometimes keeps balls rolling along the fenceline.

Wilson had five inside-the-park homers as a rookie in 1979.  That astounding. Seven of his first nine homers were ISTP.

George Brett had seven ISTPers.

In ancient history ISTP homers were about as common as over-the-fencers.  HOFer Jesse Burkett had 75 homers, 55 ISTP, three bounced.

o

Wilson's rookie season was 1978. 1979 was the first season in which he was a bona fide starter throughout the entire season.

Good overall info, though.

o

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Still not 100% clean, but awesome. Walk-off against the Yanks.

o

I saw that when it happened, but on a different broadcast ........ WPIX-11, with Phil Rizzuto, Bill White, and Frank Messer.

Thanks !!! ) B|

o

14 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Neon Deion and Bo involved in one, but Bo made an unwise route/dive, and not sure how the play at the plate wasn't an error.

Bo looked much closer to catching that one than the Phillies OF. Definitely not an error on Bo. I could see an error on the C receiving the backup throw. 

2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I don't know how you call that an inside-the-park home run.  Ellsbury had the ball in his glove and dropped it.  Then the relay skips by the catcher when Andino is still five steps from the plate.  If the same play happened in Boston I think it's a triple and an E-4.

I challenge the board to find me a MLB inside-the-parker in the last 25 years that didn't involve questionable judgment by a fielder and/or dicey work by the official scorer.

August 1978 Bump Wills and Toby Harrah Hit back to back-to-back inside the parkers. 
I think that’s the only time in history that’s happened, but they were both good clean hits.

50 minutes ago, Philip said:

August 1978 Bump Wills and Toby Harrah Hit back to back-to-back inside the parkers. 
I think that’s the only time in history that’s happened, but they were both good clean hits.

Might be the only time in modern history.  But I'd bet back-to-back inside the parkers happened multiple times a year prior to about 1920.

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Might be the only time in modern history.  But I'd bet back-to-back inside the parkers happened multiple times a year prior to about 1920.

I looked it up. I remember watching it happen, and it happened on consecutive pitches too. Against the Yankees.

yay

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I don't know how you call that an inside-the-park home run.  Ellsbury had the ball in his glove and dropped it.  Then the relay skips by the catcher when Andino is still five steps from the plate.  If the same play happened in Boston I think it's a triple and an E-4.

I challenge the board to find me a MLB inside-the-parker in the last 25 years that didn't involve questionable judgment by a fielder and/or dicey work by the official scorer.

That was the first game of the final series of the 2011 season, where the Orioles won that final series to help knock Boston out of the playoffs on the last day, and at the last moment.  You can pair this play up with Andino's famous game winning RBI single in the season finale two games later.

I wonder how many Boston fans still carry around an Andino voodoo doll that they jab from time to time when the mood strikes?  ?