vs. PHILLIES, 8/13

OFFNY

Hard to believe that Eshelman was actually a prospect out of college. Baseball America projected him to go 25th! He went early in the second round in 2015, 45th overall. Apparently he had pinpoint control and low 90s velocity back then. 125/6(!) K/BB ratio in 123 innings. Considered to have the best command in the draft.

Topping out at 88 and never having a ton of strikeouts, I assumed he was one of those guys who was a 18th round pick who just grinded through the minors, but that wasn't really the case. He had a $1.1 million bonus.

• Upvote 1

It was a good call by Ruiz to try for 3rd.  It was just a great throw.  The CFer had to turn his body toward 3rd while running full speed, and he's known for having a mediocre arm.  But he somehow threw a strike with enough mustard on it.  Philly's d has made multiple outstanding plays tonight.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, HOF19 said:

Don't know if you heard but Judge is a little banged up Michael Kay (Yankees play-by-play guy) is biting his nails about this.

Where are those stats where they summarize how "injury-prone" a team is in a given season? I feel like the Yanks are having worse luck with that this year than the O's usually have this decade (and it often hasn't been good for us, from what I remember). In a 60-game season, losing a star for a week or two is a huge blow.

15 minutes ago, Philip said:

I don’t get the animosity towards Jake, it’s not his fault the Orioles wouldn’t allow him to throw a cutter, which I understand is the crux of his problem with us. As soon as he went somewhere else, they said, “sure, throw all the cutters you want.”

And the rest, as they say...

It was nothing like that. He threw seven different pitches as an Oriole. Was completely uncoachable. Never listened to a single coach until the Orioles gave him away and the Cubs sent him to the minors and said "you'll do this" Ask Scott McGregor or Mike Bordick if you don't trust me. 

He listened to Boras and would not go to the Orioles informal offseason strength program that even helped Chris TIllman. 

• Thanks 2

Knowing I was working til 7 I didn't expect to see any of this game but I'm here know.  Listened to our big inning on the drive home.

So it wasn't bad judgement for Rio to make the first out at 3rd?  Ruzious says so, but he's got "Ruiz" in his name so he might just be standing up for his distant cousin.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, weams said:

It was nothing like that. He threw seven different pitches as an Oriole. Was completely uncoachable. Never listened to a single coach until the Orioles gave him away and the Cubs sent him to the minors and said "you'll do this" Ask Scott McGregor or Mike Bordick if you don't trust me. 

He listened to Boras and would not go to the Orioles informal offseason strength program that even helped Chris TIllman. 

Thanks for the info. I thought it was all about the Orioles refusing to allow him to use the cutters so that is incorrect?

3 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Knowing I was working til 7 I didn't expect to see any of this game but I'm here know.  Listened to our big inning on the drive home.

So it wasn't bad judgement for Rio to make the first out at 3rd?  Ruzious says so, but he's got "Ruiz" in his name so he might just be standing up for his distant cousin.

From my 49" TV watching MASN, it looked like a good send. In theory it's never a good idea to make the first out at 3rd, but in practice he had a good chance, based on scouting of their OF and the ball off the bat. 

It was forgivable. You don't get situations like that very often. If the OF were known for a good arm and he still tried for 3rd, then it would've been a boneheaded play.