Should Eshelman replace LeBlanc in the rotation?

wildcard

On 8/14/2020 at 11:34 AM, maybenxtyr said:

That makes absolutely zero sense. Either Akin is a ML pitcher or he's not. The other two are not really good. I'd rather give the young guy a shot.

I agree.  The O's need to find starters for a future competitive team.  I can't believe that anyone would think that LeBlanc, Milone, and Eshelman are part of the future.  There's a good chance that Akin isn't a major league starter, but the only way to determine that is give him a chance to start in the majors. 

1 hour ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I agree.  The O's need to find starters for a future competitive team.  I can't believe that anyone would think that LeBlanc, Milone, and Eshelman are part of the future.  There's a good chance that Akin isn't a major league starter, but the only way to determine that is give him a chance to start in the majors. 

Elias is a big on development and he is experienced at managing young players.  If he thought Akin,  Kremer and/or Zimmerman were ready to start in the majors they would be in the O's rotation.   It doesn't look like he is convince they are ready.  Maybe later this season.

So if the young guys are not ready and the choice is Eshelman or Leblanc as the present starter (not future starters)  then I think Eshelman is the better choice.  However, Hyde does not agree.  He has just in the last day announced that Eshelman is going to the pen and LeBlanc will continue to start.   That is why he is manager and I am posting on a board.

• Haha 1

On 8/17/2020 at 2:01 PM, OriolesMagic83 said:

There's a good chance that Akin isn't a major league starter, but the only way to determine that is give him a chance to start in the majors. 

That's not the only way.  I mean, thousands of draft picks were determined to not have a future in the majors by watching and analyzing their performances in the minors. But it would be reasonable with Akin to say he's far enough into the gray area that he could improve and become useful in the majors.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

That's not the only way.  I mean, thousands of draft picks were determined to not have a future in the majors by watching and analyzing their performances in the minors. But it would be reasonable with Akin to say he's far enough into the gray area that he could improve and become useful in the majors.

I read the scouting report from MLB.com

If accurate it’s says that at his AA year in 2018 which was pretty good he threw his fastball at a 75% clip. It’s said he increased the use of his slurvy change at AAA last year. Where his walk rate increased 3.8/4-9 BB per nine and Ks dipped about 1 hitter per 9.

They only grade him on 3 pitches and mention that the change is very soft and used against righties.

Sounds to me like a 2 pitch pitcher to me.....Seems he’s destined to be a bullpen arm.

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

You've got me convinced. I've seen enough of Leblanc. 

Eshelman does not really have MLB stuff!    Control is his best attribute is probably a middle reliever (once through the order role)

Notice they are hoping his change get to MLB average....So his only above average pitch is his cutter and he has 2 pitches below average. As well the change up is probably below average.

So there really is not real value as a Major League stater unless you are taking the bullpen game approach. IMO

Prospects Report
2018 Report (U) Team Rank: 22 (PHILLIES) Overall Rank: N/A ETA: 2018
Fastball       Curveball       Changeup Cutter Command        FV
40 / 40 40 / 40         45 / 50         55 / 55         60 / 70        40

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/tom-eshelman/18361/stats?position=P

On 8/14/2020 at 9:10 AM, wildcard said:

Should Eshelman Replace LeBlanc in the Rotation ???

o

(vs. RED SOX, 8/23)

Wade LeBlanc left this game with an injury after only 2/3 of an inning.

He was replaced by ...... Tom Eshelman.

o