Hyde has "The Talk" with John Means

wildcard

From Roch:

Means on mentality change: “It was just staying more relaxed. I was trying to force a lot of things, trying to get strikeouts and blow it by everybody and it’s just not how I pitch. That’s not me. Hyde actually called me in the office this past week and gave me a tough talk and told me this isn’t me, this isn’t how I pitch, this isn’t how I should be. I was getting frustrated, I was getting upset and angry with myself, and to be able to relax out there and just be myself, it really helped me.”

Hyde on his meeting with Means: “I believe in communication, I believe in being honest and I just wanted to discuss his last few of outings. I was obviously very sensitive to what he’s gone through this year. But I thought we had a nice conversation about what he really did well last year, who he is, what kind of pitcher he is. Kind of going back to some things that he did very, very well last year, and for me that’s a major league starter in this league for a long time. And I felt like he was getting away from that a little bit. And I also wanted to see the poise on the mound that he showed last year. I just thought that he looked really discouraged a lot, I didn’t like his mound presence, I didn’t like his demeanor on the mound. It felt like he was pitching out of frustration instead of pitching to win and being competitive and going to the next pitch and moving on. Those types of things he did very well last year, I just wanted to remind him of that.”

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

How many posters on here don't know where to find Roch's blog?   Beside why should I post the link when I have you to do that?

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, wildcard said:

Called John into the office this week and told him he was not being himself.  Trying to strike out too many.  Looking frustrated on the mound.  Not turning the page when when he makes a mistake.  Told him to remember who he is and what made him successful.

It was a huge move by Brandon Hype and John said it helped him a lot.  John said tonight is the first time he has felt good this season.

Hyde keeps impressing as a manager.  This is his team and its coming together under his guidance.

Hyde has shown to be a great communicator with his players and really does a good job is seeing those things and knowing when they need to be addressed. 

3 hours ago, wildcard said:

How many posters on here don't know where to find Roch's blog?   Beside why should I post the link when I have you to do that?

Because it’s the rules?

10. When quoting information please give the source and a link when possible. 

11. Do not post copyrighted material in it's entirety. You may cut and paste portions to discuss but please provide a link to the source site.

Also, while I agree most posters know how to find Roch’s blog, they may have trouble finding the entry the quote came from, especially if a few days pass before the poster reads this.   Lord knows I’ve spent a lot of time trying to dig up old blog quotes that I knew were there somewhere.   

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, joelala said:

Does Hyde start to get some Manager of the Year buzz soon?

If we get over .500, and if we are still at least within spitting distance of a playoff spot the last week of the season, he probably does.

We will definitely be up there in terms of teams overperforming their projected finish.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, joelala said:

Does Hyde start to get some Manager of the Year buzz soon?

Roch asked the same question today:  

Will Brandon Hyde become a finalist for Manager of the Year in the American League?

Give me one good reason why he shouldn’t.

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2020/09/what-else-is-going-on-with-orioles-besides-pennant-race.html

I’ll wait until the end of the season to answer that question.    But I’d say Kevin Cash, Charlie Montoyo, Rick Renteria, Terry Francona, Rocco Baldelli and Bob Melvin all have a better shot than Hyde, and Ron Gardenhire and Scott Servais are in a similar position to Hyde.   

• Upvote 2