Tracking Ex Oriole Thread

Rene88

Atlanta 5 - 6 San Francisco: Final 11 | 2021-09-17 | Major League Baseball | Yahoo! Sports

The link is to the highlight's of last night/this morning's game - with Jon Miller doing the best of the broadcasting.  At the end, he calls Kevin Gausman's pinch-hitting (yes Kevin Gausman as the pinch-hitter) in the 11th inning.  Jon started doing O's radio in 1983 replacing Chuck Thompson - who moved to the O's tv games.  What a magical year to be an O's fan.  It was the Cal and Eddie show - with Cal winning the MVP at age 22/23, and Eddie was 2nd - holy... bleep.  Kenny Singleton was so solid as the 3rd big bat with Lolo and Rino as the best platoon in baseball.  Flanny and McGreggor were so good as the veteran lefty leaders.  Palmer was aging, but no problem - we had Storm Davis getting compared to a young Palmer, Mike Boddicker was so good!  It almost didn't even matter that Dennis Martinez was having an off year.  Tippy and Sammy Stewart did something you almost never see the last few decades - both pitching over 100 innings out of the bullpen.  Bigfoot Stoddard wasn't effective as the closer, so Tippy finally got the chance and was his usual reliable self.  We... went 98-64, won the AL East, won the ALCS, and won the World Series 4 games to 1.  Best team in baseball, best tv broadcasts, best radio broadcasts... we really did have it all.              

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

On 9/16/2021 at 9:12 PM, Can_of_corn said:

Mike Wright gets ejected for not being good.

He couldn't throw a strike, was missing by a ton and hit Ohtani.

Honestly he was missing by so much the umps did him a favor.  He was just a mess.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/09/mlb-suspends-mike-wright-tony-la-russa.html

I never get it with marginal guys like Wright who think they ingratiate themselves to their teammates by throwing at premier talent. Sure, that’s speculative, but I’ve been around guys who did it.

Pitch better, hit better and don’t be a jerk. When guys threw at me I was appreciative of the free base after being hit.

25 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/09/mlb-suspends-mike-wright-tony-la-russa.html

I never get it with marginal guys like Wright who think they ingratiate themselves to their teammates by throwing at premier talent. Sure, that’s speculative, but I’ve been around guys who did it.

Pitch better, hit better and don’t be a jerk. When guys threw at me I was appreciative of the free base after being hit.

Wright's appealing the 3 game suspension - probably on the grounds that he stinks so badly.  He's probably got a good case there.  

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/32233802/san-diego-padres-manny-machado-screams-fernando-tatis-jr-dugout-ump-dispute

Ruh roh.

I thought they'd be Scherzer Strasburg perfect for each other.

It couldn't end up that by July 2023 small market San Diego will need out of that contract.

Tonight's incident was before a bullpen meltdown spoiling a Darvish gem.

It was just a matter of time until there was dustup in San Diego.  That is a team that was picked by many to be 1st or 2nd in their division, now they're only 4 games above .500. It has been a disappointing season for them to say the least.  

We know Manny can be a bit of a hothead.  IMO, that dustup couldn't have happened at a better time, they just need to go into the offseason, cool off and come back next year in a better place.  Tatis isn't going anywhere, neither is Manny.  

I hope they both put whatever this is behind them and figure it out.  That can be a really fun team when they're clicking on all cylinders.  

13 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

It was just a matter of time until there was dustup in San Diego.  That is a team that was picked by many to be 1st or 2nd in their division, now they're only 4 games above .500. It has been a disappointing season for them to say the least.  

We know Manny can be a bit of a hothead.  IMO, that dustup couldn't have happened at a better time, they just need to go into the offseason, cool off and come back next year in a better place.  Tatis isn't going anywhere, neither is Manny.  

I hope they both put whatever this is behind them and figure it out.  That can be a really fun team when they're clicking on all cylinders.  

This afternoon, Tatis scorched the first pitch of the game into RF, but Carlson robbed him on a would be double with a .520 xBA.

Arrieta started and in the bottom 1st loaded the bases.   Can of corn to shallow center field, nobody out - Tatis just plain dropped it, maybe peeking at the runners.    He picked up fast and winged it for home, failing to get the force there when he had an easy out at 3rd.  

Arrieta has now been hooked in the first inning as Padres no good very bad year slipping away another bit.

• Upvote 2

Some swear words in it as one would guess, so careful kids, but the jomboy breakdown has a good amount of detail on the exchange.

I saw Eduardo Perez on the Sunday Night countdown show, and A-Rod in booth with favorable takes on Machado's conduct in this one.

I can't discern it, but someone on FB was repping Ryan Flaherty as the guy keeping them apart in the dugout.   He, Bobby Dickerson and Wayne Kirby all Padres coaches nowadays.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

Some swear words in it as one would guess, so careful kids, but the jomboy breakdown has a good amount of detail on the exchange.

I saw Eduardo Perez on the Sunday Night countdown show, and A-Rod in booth with favorable takes on Machado's conduct in this one.

I can't discern it, but someone on FB was repping Ryan Flaherty as the guy keeping them apart in the dugout.   He, Bobby Dickerson and Wayne Kirby all Padres coaches nowadays.

Article in the Athletic says that Dickerson was the first person to rip into Tatis after his mistakes, followed by Manny, who at 29 is trying to show he has "grown up" and says he is trying to be a team leader in the manner of Adam Jones or JJ Hardy.  Trying to mentor the 22 year old Tatis.

Article questions Tingler's leadership over the course of the season.  Also mentions that Dickerson''s bluntness has annoyed a few players.  Tatis and Manny are locked up for a long time, I have the feel Tingler (and thus his entire stable of Buck Showalter coaches) will likely be gone two weeks from today.

And yes th article confirms that Ryan Flaherty was attempting to be the peacemaker in both the Dickerson-Tatis dustup and the much more covered Machado-Tatis incident.

Manny I am guessing felt some sickening 2018 flashbacks as his checked out Padres yielded today's unicorn of a complete game shutout to Max Fried last night.

Yesterday on the Rates and Barrels podcast, Brittany Ghiroli had some new to me stuff about how Jayce Tingler didn't get to hire any of his coaches, it was all the front office.

That front office thus is the one who picked Kirby, Dickerson, Flaherty, so holy cow might Buck Showalter's heart rate be a little elevated these few weeks.   I don't know if or how much he and Preller overlapped in Texas days.