Tracking Ex Oriole Thread

Rene88

39 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Pardons if anyone's mentioned Rich Rodriquez, but he's one that got away.  He had 2 excellent years at Norfolk and a cup of coffee at Baltimore in 2017 before he was released.  Does anyone remember why the O's let him go?  He's done real well for Pittsburg and became their closer.  Right before the trade deadline, he was traded to Atlanta for very talented 23 year old starter Bryse Wilson.  Rodriquez is now a key guy in Atlanta's chase for an NL East championship - just behind the Mets and Phillies.  Bryse Wilson is exactly the type of young pitcher the O's should be looking for.   

He looked pretty awful in his short audition in Baltimore (14.29 ERA, 2.647 WHIP in 5 appearances) and I guess the team made their decision based on that.  No doubt that decision turned out terribly.   

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

He looked pretty awful in his short audition in Baltimore (14.29 ERA, 2.647 WHIP in 5 appearances) and I guess the team made their decision based on that.  No doubt that decision turned out terribly.   

That would make sense if a message board was responsible for hiring and firing.  He gave up a total of 9 runs - 8 of them in 2 innings.  The rest of his time, he gave up 1 run in 3.2 innings, so 2 bad games did him in.  At Norfolk that year, he pitched 70.2 innings with a WHIP of 1.047 and 80 SO's vs 18 W's, 2.42 ERA.  Also did very well the year before in Norfolk in 81.2 innings.  Oh well.    

2 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Schoop signs a two year extension with the Tigers.

This is the important part, well for future discussion.

Schoop wanted an extension and Boras, who works for Schoop, did his job and got him one.

Any time a Boras client hits the free agent market and goes to the highest bidder, it's the player, not Boras, calling the shots.

• Upvote 1

On 8/8/2021 at 2:51 PM, Frobby said:

Schoop is getting close to paying off that $4.9 mm he received in exchange for 10% of his career earnings a few years ago.  I think he’s up to $42 mm or so despite the shortened season costing him about $4 mm last year.  

His team might have been savvy enough to buy the rights back.  I bet the price had dropped a couple years ago.

27 minutes ago, dedwretched said:

Renato Nuñez was called up by the Tigers due to the collision in Baltimore. He was smashing AAA pitching and deserved a call up anyway.

What collision?   I didn’t heat about that.   

I hope he rakes - once the Tigers leave Baltimore.  

25 minutes ago, Frobby said:

What collision?   I didn’t heat about that.   

I hope he rakes - once the Tigers leave Baltimore.  

Very nasty collision between Det LF & CF (Baddoo and Hill) last night.   Hill miraculously managed to  hold onto the ball but it was scary to watch.   Baddoo has gone on the concussion IL and Hill on the regular IL (leg).

It was in the 8th inning, and Hill somehow managing to hold on to the ball, and even get up to his knees and toss it towards the infield before collapsing on the ground again, probably saved at least one run.  O's trailed 8-4 at the time and had a man on with one out.

• Thanks 1

Bud Norris was released by the independent Winnipeg Goldeyes.

The Goldeyes played 2020, and most of 2021, in Nashville, TN, due to Covid, but returned to Winnipeg Alberta just over a week ago.

They are managed by former Orioles minor leaguer Rick Forney, who the Orioles drafted out of Anne Arundel Community College adn who pitched a perfect game for Bowie in 1994.   Forney is in his 11th season as Goldeyes manager.

• Upvote 1