Tracking Ex Oriole Thread

Rene88

o

This was Gonzalez' rehab start.

He is scheduled to rejoin the White Sox' rotation next week.

13 OUTS: 7 Strikeouts, 4 Groundouts, 1 Flyout, 1 Out Stretching a Single

MIGUEL ANGEL GONZALEZ MARTIN o))))o (vs. AAA-Norfolk, 9/02)

IP:l )l4.33

H:;; l11 ll(2 Home Runs, 5 Doubles, 4 Singles)

R:l)l)l7

ER:)ll6

BB:)ll0

SO:)ll7

Pitches: 74 )(57 )Strikes, )17 )Balls)

2016 ERA: 4.64 )(AAA-Charlotte)

PITCHES BY INNING

32 ll(24 lStrikes, ll8 llBalls)

13 ll(12 lStrikes, ll1 llBalls)

10 ll(71 lStrikes, ll3 llBalls)

13 ll(10 lStrikes, ll3 llBalls)

61 ll(41 lStrikes, ll2 l.Balls) *

* Gonzalez recorded 1 out before departing in the 5th inning.

o

Nick has hit far better than I anticipated this year. That said, his OPS+ is still lower than all three of the Orioles "regular" outfielders. I haven't seen him play defense this year, but I'm sure he's a better defensive OF than Trumbo (not hard) and probably better than Kim (almost certainly better). I was against signing him, but he would have been far more useful to the O's than I expected.

Are you arguing that he'd be preferable to Trumbo? Kim, maybe, but Kim has almost 1/4 of the salary on an annual basis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you arguing that he'd be preferable to Trumbo? Kim, maybe, but Kim has almost 1/4 of the salary on an annual basis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In a better constructed roster Trumbo is the DH and a better defender who can hit at least decently is the RF. They thought they had Fowler so the current roster wasn't really the plan. I was mainly just thinking out loud while being surprised by Markakis' season.

Markakis has a positive defensive WAR score this season. I swear there's a Camden Yards bias with that stat for outfielders.
I'm yet to hear/read a resolution to that question.

It was addressed a few years ago by the creator of one of the metrics (I think it was Clay Davenport), but I wasn't very satisfied with the logic of the answer. I've kind of settled in a middle ground: the metrics show that Jones and Markakis are not as good as some Orioles fans think they are, but they also haven't been as bad as the metrics have sometimes suggested.

Just by way of example, fangraphs gave Nick a -14.1 in 2013. Trumbo has a -14.5 this year. There's just no way on God's green earth that Nick was ever nearly as bad an outfielder as Trumbo. Anybody with two eyes knows this, and I really don't give a damn what fangraphs' stats say about it.

It was addressed a few years ago by the creator of one of the metrics (I think it was Clay Davenport), but I wasn't very satisfied with the logic of the answer. I've kind of settled in a middle ground: the metrics show that Jones and Markakis are not as good as some Orioles fans think they are, but they also haven't been as bad as the metrics have sometimes suggested.

Just by way of example, fangraphs gave Nick a -14.1 in 2013. Trumbo has a -14.5 this year. There's just no way on God's green earth that Nick was ever nearly as bad an outfielder as Trumbo. Anybody with two eyes knows this, and I really don't give a damn what fangraphs' stats say about it.

It goes beyond Os fans I think. The big thing, I thought, was that the metrics showed that jones and kakes weren't as good as pretty much everyone thought they were.

I get what you're saying, though. Any chance you have a link?

It goes beyond Os fans I think. The big thing, I thought, was that the metrics showed that jones and kakes weren't as good as pretty much everyone thought they were.

I get what you're saying, though. Any chance you have a link?

Sorry, I don't. I think it was addressed in the hard copy annual Baseball Prospectus, or in an iteration of The Fielding Bible.

Oh ok. Thanks for your responses. Could you possibly relay what you remember the crux of his explanation to be? Sorry to needle you on this.

I found some discussion of this from an old thread: http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/138272-About-Adam-Jones-Defense?p=3352896#post3352896. It was John Dewan who addressed the issue, not Clay Davenport.

One year sample sizes on defensive metrics aren't very useful when evaluating true talent, as always. He was a negative defender just last year, in Atlanta. For his career, the metrics have Markakis around average which seems just about right to me. He was pretty good in his youth and declined from there.

Even with positive ratings this year, he's going to likely end up a below average starter. If you like rWAR, he's been equal to Adam Jones in value this year. He's got that going for him.

Here’s the latest out of the Mile High City…

Gerardo Parra has been getting time at first base for the Rockies, and manager Walt Weiss hinted to reporters (including MLB.com’s Ben Weinrib) that Parra could remain at the position for the rest of the season. Parra had never played first base at the professional level prior to August 24, though if the Rox are comfortable with him as a first base option going forward, it could solve their outfield logjam.

MlBTR.