Roch on Fall Instructional League

Frobby

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Couldn’t disagree more.   I agree it’s just enthusiastic fluff, but I’ll take it in this year when there’s been so little information about how our prospects are doing.   I do wonder whether Fangraphs, BA or someone is allowed to attend some of the Fall Instructs and toss us a bone or two of objective opinion.  And hopefully Tony has his ear to the ground and will be able to pass along some tidbits eventually.  But this is all we’re going to get for now, and I’d rather have it than not.   

Agree to disagree, Frobasaurus Rex.  I know we're thirsty for information about our prospects, but it is enthusiastic fluff.  But I can't get too excited about news that's coming out of our Bowie site this summer about Gunnar Henderson raking when he's facing the same pitchers over and over.  But at least they'll be playing some games against other organizations in this league so hopefully it's more than what we learned about this summer.

The Kjerstad thing is by far the most worrisome issue here.  In fact, I'd argue that Roch buried the lead on this one.

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Agree to disagree, Frobasaurus Rex.  I know we're thirsty for information about our prospects, but it is enthusiastic fluff.  But I can't get too excited about news that's coming out of our Bowie site this summer about Gunnar Henderson raking when he's facing the same pitchers over and over.  But at least they'll be playing some games against other organizations in this league so hopefully it's more than what we learned about this summer.

The Kjerstad thing is by far the most worrisome issue here.  In fact, I'd argue that Roch buried the lead on this one.

Could be interesting speculating about why some players aren't being mentioned in these fluff pieces.

Other than that, yea, nothing of substance gets mentioned.

I hope the players are getting paid for this.

51 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Could be interesting speculating about why some players aren't being mentioned in these fluff pieces.

Other than that, yea, nothing of substance gets mentioned.

I hope the players are getting paid for this.

The O’s paid their MiL players all summer even though they weren’t playing.   I kind of doubt they’re being paid for this, other than free hotel, team buffet and maybe a little meal money.   I know they’re not paid for spring training.   

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Agree to disagree, Frobasaurus Rex. 

What exactly are you trying to say here?    I mean, I know I’m a bit of a dinosaur, but do we really have to be that explicit about it?    It’s like the Jerry Seinfeld bit about why do they have to call a nose job a rhinoplasty?

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I really can't stand these articles.  It's like Spring Training.  Everyone looks good, everyone looks fantastic, everyone's doing well.  Roch could save himself the time and just save these articles with spaces for the players names and swap them out from year to year, we'd never know the difference and get giddy just the same.

You would hope that Elias and Co. had an idea about whatever issues Kjerstad had before they drafted him.

Exactly. He has to churn it out. Every time someone says, “I’m a journalist” I respond, “no you’re not you write about sports.” Some sports writers are brilliant writers.

Most are not.

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Utility player who hit are a dime a dozen ....as soon as they get to arbitration you cutem and find a new one.

Well if he doesn’t pan out, I don’t think it’s much of a loss, but we shall see. On the other hand, there’s a reason Ryan Flaherty had a major league career spanning seven seasons with a career average of about .220.

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

What exactly are you trying to say here?    I mean, I know I’m a bit of a dinosaur, but do we really have to be that explicit about it?    It’s like the Jerry Seinfeld bit about why do they have to call a nose job a rhinoplasty?

Just messing around with your name, Frobingo.  Things here have been a bit boring of late.

17 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Lowther and Bannon are guys you wouldn't expect on the instructional roster.  Lowther, it seems, missed most of the Bowie camp.  Same thing with Bannon?

Also, very interesting to see which recent international players are there. Are these the best prospects.  No Prado.  We have Luis Ortiz and Luis Gonzalez from the last J2 period.  Previous years players Cosma, Bellony, Acevedo,Sanchez, and Beriguete.  I missed a couple.  I think it says a little something especially a out Luis Ortiz and Luis Gonzalez. 

I think some players had visa issues, especially the ones we acquired in trades.   

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

Couldn’t disagree more.   I agree it’s just enthusiastic fluff, but I’ll take it in this year when there’s been so little information about how our prospects are doing.   I do wonder whether Fangraphs, BA or someone is allowed to attend some of the Fall Instructs and toss us a bone or two of objective opinion.  And hopefully Tony has his ear to the ground and will be able to pass along some tidbits eventually.  But this is all we’re going to get for now, and I’d rather have it than not.   

The problem is it’s insincere. You’re not getting accurate assessment of these guys you’re getting “an endorsement from the party chairman of his youngest shining star” how can it possibly be meaningful?

How many organization folks are saying anything negative about Sedlock or Grenier, for instance.
I’m not saying that’s wrong, it can’t possibly be any other way, but you’re not going to get anybody within the organization, saying, “we are really worried about this guy’s ability to hit, but we’re gonna keep working with because otherwise he’s going to be a wasted pick.”

It’s possible to translate some of the stuff they say, but it’s a skill to be able to do so.

So with respect, I agree completely with moose.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I disagree.  We have no idea if Mayo will be any good but I trust Blood when he's comparing his raw power to Rutschman.  Baumler is not a project.  Even the stuff on Westburg is useful.  Again, we have no idea if he'll be any good but it's nice to further confirmation that the kid is big and has tools.

The point is that they’re not going to say anything bad about the players. They’re not going to say anything negative about the players, they’re not going to identify problems the players have. They’re going to be enthusiastic and positive or silent. That’s not very useful. And the guys writing the article aren’t going to ask any deep questions.

Also, you have to take even the positive comments with a large grain of salt. As I said, that’s the nature of the beast and it can’t be any other way, but it is a fool’s errand to look for meaningful commentary in an article like this.

4 hours ago, Philip said:

The point is that they’re not going to say anything bad about the players. They’re not going to say anything negative about the players, they’re not going to identify problems the players have. They’re going to be enthusiastic and positive or silent. That’s not very useful. And the guys writing the article aren’t going to ask any deep questions.

Also, you have to take even the positive comments with a large grain of salt. As I said, that’s the nature of the beast and it can’t be any other way, but it is a fool’s errand to look for meaningful commentary in an article like this.

I don’t disagree, but I still enjoyed reading it and was happy to have it to read.   I don’t mind a shot of blind optimism in the offseason.  

• Upvote 1