#18 2020 Prospect: Drew Rom - LHP

Tony-OH

Really nice guy to have in the system. If his velocity ticks up, you're looking at a Means-like upside. 

As I mentioned in the Wells thread, I'd move Wells down if it were my list. Rom is a guy who fits well about here though, IMO. Could be a fringy prospect that's highly dependent on pitchability, or a guy with a little velocity becomes a higher-rated guy. 

4 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Really nice guy to have in the system. If his velocity ticks up, you're looking at a Means-like upside. 

As I mentioned in the Wells thread, I'd move Wells down if it were my list. Rom is a guy who fits well about here though, IMO. Could be a fringy prospect that's highly dependent on pitchability, or a guy with a little velocity becomes a higher-rated guy. 

I could easily have built a case for Rom to be above Wells, but this is where having success at AA gives Wells a slight nod in my opinion. Rom certainly could be much higher next year. They're basically the same type of prospect in my eyes with Rom having a slightly high ceiling because there could still be some major improvement due to his age.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Completely understand. Some of this is preference. Some of it is how you weigh upper level production versus upside. I agree that the order of these lists is less important than the write-up.

I really could have built a case for any order between 17-25 so honestly, there are little nuances here that have them in the order I put them in vs anyone is dead wrong for having a different opinion.

As you said earlier, this is where the depth of the system shows. We have guys still with upside in this range and they typically would have been in the 12-18 range in prior lists.

1 hour ago, hoosiers said:

Love having guys like Rom in the system.  It is a relatively high upside for a relatively small investment IMO.

Tony, do the Os think there is more velo there?

I don't really know. He's a got a mature body and the arm is not really lightening quick, so I don't think there is a ton more in there, but we've seen both Means and Zimmerman increase some velocity late so who knows?