Carter Baumler undergoes Tommy John surgery

86this

11 hours ago, Frobby said:

Aggravating.   Oh well, get it over with I guess.   At least we won’t get all excited by a great debut and then have the rug pulled out like with Bundy, Harvey and some others.   

I’m wondering why they waited so long? Since he never went to camp he’s likely had the problem since the spring 

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

I’m wondering why they waited so long? Since he never went to camp he’s likely had the problem since the spring 

I was going to play conspiracy theorist and wonder if he knew he was having some issues prior to the draft.  Took the money knowing he'd potentially need surgery and who knows how he comes back.  A lot of talk was that he was unsignable.  Yes, I know they reach out to these guys before the draft to see what it would take for them to forego college, but still.

• 1 year later...

I show Baumler with the 8th highest HS pitcher bonus from 2020 draft.

Of that Top 8 in 2021, three surpassed 18 games/1167 pitches, three limboed under 14 games/828 pitches, and Bitsko and Baumler were hurt.    16 turns of ~61 pitches/turn was the average 2021 for the six who pitched.

SFG Kyle Harrison and MIA Dax Fulton were the workhorses; PHI Mick Abel the top $4M bonus baby (Cedric Mullins centerpiece?) was the 14/828 guy.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

I show Baumler with the 8th highest HS pitcher bonus from 2020 draft.

Of that Top 8 in 2021, three surpassed 18 games/1167 pitches, three limboed under 14 games/828 pitches, and Bitsko and Baumler were hurt.    16 turns of ~61 pitches/turn was the average 2021 for the six who pitched.

SFG Kyle Harrison and MIA Dax Fulton were the workhorses; PHI Mick Abel the top $4M bonus baby (Cedric Mullins centerpiece?) was the 14/828 guy.

Fulton is an interesting comp because he missed his senior year of high school after undergoing Tommy John in September 2019. He was drafted and signed in 2020 and started 2021 in Low-A and pitched a full season. 

Baumler's timeline is pretty similar and he will be a year older than Fulton was entering 2021, hopefully he is ready to be plugged into the Delmarva rotation on Opening Day.

10 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Fulton is an interesting comp because he missed his senior year of high school after undergoing Tommy John in September 2019. He was drafted and signed in 2020 and started 2021 in Low-A and pitched a full season. 

Baumler's timeline is pretty similar and he will be a year older than Fulton was entering 2021, hopefully he is ready to be plugged into the Delmarva rotation on Opening Day.

I remember Fulton as a bantered about target for the Kjerstad savings, but we passed him twice.

1-30 Westburg, $2,365,500

2-39 Haskin $1,906,800

2-40 Fulton $2,400,000

Going past Fulton's page, I learned he's a 6-7, 225 gigantor, whereas Baumler's a Walker Buehler-sized human, if one thinks that kind of thing matters for workload shouldering.   Which I kind of do a little bit.

Certainly some of what excites me for Grayson (6-5, 220) is the mechanism is near the Cole (6-4, 220), Verlander (6-5, 235) standard, which feels to me like near to the perfect hybrid for "long levers without loss of the athleticism" to execute that fastball a couple thousand times every summer.   I was surprised looking up Verlander just now to see the 235 listing, perhaps that is just good honest candor for late 30's...in my mind's eye I don't imagine young Verlander near that weight.

12 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Last year I heard he was hitting 95 MPH, right before it went pop! Pitchers aren't throwing against batters this fall from what I heard.

I've occasionally heard commentators say pitchers get a little more right before something's about to go.

Certainly I hope Orioles PD helping a hot high school arm find a little more in their first few months with the ballclub is a repeatable (and safe!) result.

4 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Going past Fulton's page, I learned he's a 6-7, 225 gigantor, whereas Baumler's a Walker Buehler-sized human, if one thinks that kind of thing matters for workload shouldering.   Which I kind of do a little bit.

Yeah, guys with that height tend to have control issues and trouble controlling the running game. Mark Hendrickson is the only pitcher I can think of that was 6'6" or taller that didn't ever have a below average walk rate. Of course Hendrickson never had the fastball that taller pitchers tend to have.

2 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Yeah, guys with that height tend to have control issues and trouble controlling the running game. Mark Hendrickson is the only pitcher I can think of that was 6'6" or taller that didn't ever have a below average walk rate. Of course Hendrickson never had the fastball that taller pitchers tend to have.

Randy Johnson had a very nice stretch in the second half of his career.