AFL Surprise 8/9/08 at 2:35 EST

bird watcher

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nolan Reimold is in Left batting cleanup, Matt Wieters is batting fifth and DHing.

Also of note: Ivan DeJesus, the 21 year old shortstop out of the Dodgers organization, is in the game hitting second. He hit into a ground out in his first at bat and is 1-6 with a single on the young season.

Make that another double for Wieters!!!

2-2 2Bs

Indeed. Nolan Reimold also struck out swinging to end the third inning. He is 0-4 with a couple of walks to start out the AFL season.

Since the AFL is considered to be a strong AA league, it's no surprise to see Wieters pick up right where he left off at the end of the Eastern League season. He's got no real offensive holes, nothing left to prove in the minor leagues offensively. Hopefully he can work on his game-calling and all around defensive game behind the plate, though he's DHing today.

So Wieters is now 3-5 with a 3B and 2 2Bs...

A man among boys...

He really is, I can safely say I've never been this excited about a prospect. I feel like we shouldn't even call him a prospect.

I'm kind of surprised to see Wieters in the AFL, I thought they would let him rest up and get ready for the spring.

He really is, I can safely say I've never been this excited about a prospect. I feel like we shouldn't even call him a prospect.

I'm kind of surprised to see Wieters in the AFL, I thought they would let him rest up and get ready for the spring.

Again, I thought this would be a great time to shore up his defensive game. If he could eliminate some of the defensive question marks (all experience related) that members of the organization seem to have it would go a long way toward being comfortable annointing him the starter catcher on opening day. He's going to be a very good defensive catcher, he just needs more experience calling games and dealing with in-game situations.

Hopefully he'll see a good amount of time behind the plate this fall.

Archived