AFL Surprise 8/9/08 at 2:35 EST

bird watcher

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is there really any point in having Wieters play there? I hope they don't use him at catcher - as there's no point in putting any wear and tear on him.

I think the main point of having him there is to get him some experience calling games for quality pitchers against quality-level competition. So of course he is going to catch.

Weiters' numbers this year are silly. You'd think they got him in a tee-ball league or something.They have to start him next year on Opening Day. If he does, he's ROY for 2009. I flat-out predict it.

He wouldn't have to even be there on opening day. Look at Longoria this year.

Weiters' numbers this year are silly. You'd think they got him in a tee-ball league or something.They have to start him next year on Opening Day. If he does, he's ROY for 2009. I flat-out predict it.

No, they have to start on April 15.

Playing him here on OD is a big mistake.

Wait a few weeks and gain an extra year of service time.

No, they have to start on April 15.

Playing him here on OD is a big mistake.

Wait a few weeks and gain an extra year of service time.

Agree with SG here...... Sign a solid veteran backup catcher to start first few weeks then back up Matt...

The O's would be foolish not to do this. But I am not sure that's what they'll do.

Unless Boras decides that a reasonable long term deal is in his best interest and AM decides that MW is a player to make and exception to his general policies of assuming all of the risk on a very young player, we will not see Matt until he gains the extra year.

I think the main point of having him there is to get him some experience calling games for quality pitchers against quality-level competition. So of course he is going to catch.

It's still minor league quality pitchers and minor league level competition. He'll get better experience in Spring Training. If they want him to DH and/or play 1B, that's fine, but there's no adequate reason to wear down his knees playing catcher there. This guy is our starting MLB catcher by next tax day. He's an exception - and there's no need to treat him like a minor leaguer.

It's still minor league quality pitchers and minor league level competition. He'll get better experience in Spring Training. If they want him to DH and/or play 1B, that's fine, but there's no adequate reason to wear down his knees playing catcher there. This guy is our starting MLB catcher by next tax day. He's an exception - and there's no need to treat him like a minor leaguer.

You are entitled to your opinion, but that is not how the Orioles see it.

"It hasn't been announced yet, but there is some consideration to send Wieters to the Arizona Fall League. There are questions about getting his clock going and putting him on the roster," Trembley said.

Trembley said Gary Allenson, the Birds' Norfolk manager, would be Wieters' manager if he goes to the Arizona League.

"He has not experienced failure yet," Trembley added. "That's a tremendous credit to him. We still need to work with him on calling a game. I think he can be the next Joe Mauer. That's who he reminds me of. When I managed at Bowie, Mauer was at New Britain. But people have to understand Wieters is not invincible. We need to make sure when he gets here that he is here to stay."

Archived