AFL Surprise 8/9/08 at 2:35 EST

bird watcher

"It hasn't been announced yet, but there is some consideration to send Wieters to the Arizona Fall League. There are questions about getting his clock going and putting him on the roster," Trembley said.

Trembley said Gary Allenson, the Birds' Norfolk manager, would be Wieters' manager if he goes to the Arizona League.

"He has not experienced failure yet," Trembley added. "That's a tremendous credit to him. We still need to work with him on calling a game. I think he can be the next Joe Mauer. That's who he reminds me of. When I managed at Bowie, Mauer was at New Britain. But people have to understand Wieters is not invincible. We need to make sure when he gets here that he is here to stay."

Apparently, the O's haven't figured out that he's not physically invincible. I find it hard to believe that this will make a significant difference on his ability to call a game - considering they had him for a full season at Bowie to do that - and they'll have a month of Spring Training to do that.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Apparently, the O's haven't figured out that he's not physically invincible. I find it hard to believe that this will make a significant difference on his ability to call a game - considering they had him for a full season at Bowie to do that - and they'll have a month of Spring Training to do that.

They did not have him a FULL SEASON at Bowie! He started in Frederick and didn't go to Bowie till after the single A All Star Break.That was in Mid- June. I believe he will go to ST, then Norfolk for a few weeks, if not months. As he has the hitting down quite good , he still needs to work on calling the game.

I predict he will get a call up in June or July 2009 and never look back.

If this guy doesn't start behind the plate it won't be because he isn't ready. It will be because of issues that have nothing to do with his talents.While I believe he will be up here before the season's over, there are a few things that will have people in the Warehouse wishing that Wieters could have bloomed a year later and not forced the Club to make a decision it doesn't want to make yet.

The clock and 40-man roster things are two reasons. The inability to get rid of Ramon Hernandez and having to keep him around will be another. I don't think Angelos will eat his contract because he may be asked to eat Walker's and Baez's.If I'm not mistaken, they'll still be paying Gibbons this year, too.

Archived