Snell to Padres

Sports Guy

2 hours ago, jabba72 said:

The Orioles had several years like 80-82 during their 14 year winless stretch, I wasnt happy about any of them, but today a 80-82 would mean progress at least. 

If by “several,” you mean “zero,” you’re correct.  

Good move for both sides on the Darvish trade.  I’m sure the Cubs int believe he’s close to as good as he showed in a SSS of 2020 but he’s also probably better than what he showed his first 2 years in Chicago, especially moving to SD’s park.

Chicago gets 4 guys in the Pads top 20 and they are guys who are young, so you never know what could happen with them. On top of that, they get rid of a lot of money.  

And while Chicago gets rid of a lot of money, 20M/year isn’t some crazy high salary for someone who can pitch like a TOR starter.

The Padres are showing what payroll flexibility and a deep farm system can do for you.

21 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Good move for both sides on the Darvish trade.  I’m sure the Cubs int believe he’s close to as good as he showed in a SSS of 2020 but he’s also probably better than what he showed his first 2 years in Chicago, especially moving to SD’s park.

Chicago gets 4 guys in the Pads top 20 and they are guys who are young, so you never know what could happen with them. On top of that, they get rid of a lot of money.  

And while Chicago gets rid of a lot of money, 20M/year isn’t some crazy high salary for someone who can pitch like a TOR starter.

The Padres are showing what payroll flexibility and a deep farm system can do for you.

I wasn't impressed by the return the Cubs received and I'm interested in how far into sell mode they are going to go.

The Cubs shouldn't have to worry about payroll, their market should allow them to stay at the salary cap threshold.

22 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I wasn't impressed by the return the Cubs received and I'm interested in how far into sell mode they are going to go.

The Cubs shouldn't have to worry about payroll, their market should allow them to stay at the salary cap threshold.

Again, you probably aren’t impressed because they aren’t top 100 guys or something like that.

Its likely tough to find someone to take on that contract right now.  The Pads system is loaded and to get 4 top 20 guys in their system is probably like getting 4 top 7-15 guys in a lot of other systems.  

They all could flame out or all could be knocking on that top 100 list soon enough.  

But no reason to get wrapped up in the meaningless rankings.  What matters is if the Cubs scouts like the players and the upsides of them.  

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Lol..stop crying.  

Seeing as you have never seen these guys play and know virtually nothing about them and seeing as you aren’t a scout, tell me what I said that was incorrect.

If you paid attention to anyone's post other then your own you would know I dislike the quantity over quality approach.    All too often you end up with more of nothing.

The Padres also have the look of a team primed to overpay.  

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If you paid attention to anyone's post other then your own you would know I dislike the quantity over quality approach.    All too often you end up with more of nothing.

The Padres also have the look of a team primed to overpay.  

But what are you basing the idea of quantity over quality in this deal?  

And whatever your definition is, you have no idea if that deal was out there.  

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

But what are you basing the idea of quantity over quality in this deal?  

And whatever your definition is, you have no idea if that deal was out there.  

I never said this was a bad deal.  I said I wasn't impressed by the return.  Maybe this was the best possible deal, I can still be unimpressed.

In general I'd rather get fewer players that are more likely to provide value on the ML team than more players with a lesser chance.