Santander drawing interest

Jammer7

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Please find me one instance in which we know a player lied to a team about his salary demands and the team acquiesced to his new demand.

You ever notice that even guys like AR sign for below slot?

The player has a lot more to lose than the team.  You think your son is going to do better than #7.5 money as a senior with a tarnished reputation?

It happens all the time with teams and agents! In free agency Scott Boras promise Billy Beane they Damon would resign for x number of dollars, After talking to the Red Sox and said he had a better offer. And now they needed to pay more. In Beane’s case he didn’t and the A’s were legitimately cash strapped. I’m quite certain the Yankees, Red Sox, Mariners, etc all have at one time or another.

Has it hit the media? The Orioles or any other team doesn’t  announce their contract understanding at the time of the selection and never would. They wouldn’t need to publicly air it anyway if they didn’t agree ...especially if they would be viewed as being cheap the the Orioles! Fans like us would bash them for being cheap! There representatives would just be saying they wanted fair market value in a system MLB already established so players couldn’t have ridiculous salary demands. 

Just now, Roll Tide said:

It happens all the time with teams and agents! In free agency Scott Boras promise Billy Beane they Damon would resign for x number of dollars, After talking to the Red Sox and said he had a better offer. And now they needed to pay more. In Beane’s case he didn’t and the A’s were legitimately cash strapped. I’m quite certain the Yankees, Red Sox, Mariners, etc all have at one time or another.

Has it hit the media? The Orioles or any other team doesn’t  announce their contract understanding at the time of the selection and never would. They wouldn’t need to publicly air it anyway if they didn’t agree ...especially if they would be viewed as being cheap the the Orioles! Fans like us would bash them for being cheap! There representatives would just be saying they wanted fair market value in a system MLB already established so players couldn’t have ridiculous salary demands. 

Give me one example of it happening with a draftee.

I'm pretty high on the Orioles aren't spending bandwagon and if it came out that a draftee changed their contract demands after being selected I'd 100% be on the team's side.

I'm also guessing that their advisor would drop them like a hot potato as they would like to continue in the business.

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't even understand what you are trying to say here.

If the O's don't sign him they get the 1-3 pick in the 2021 draft.  That would leave them with two high picks in that draft and a ton of pool money compared to other teams.

Once Kjerstad was selected his selection would be announced. The Agent tells them he wants money more fair for the slot he was selected. The other selections in the draft would’ve already been made so ...how in the heck would it change your dray strategy? It couldn’t possibly unless Kjerstads agent told the Orioles immediately after the selection...something they clearly wouldn’t do. 

So you could pay a couple of later picks more money after yo7 had already selected them anyway?

******* Oh got it ...In the next draft! Ok ....so you would again advocate on passing the BPA to cut a deal with a lesser player. 

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

Once Kjerstad was selected his selection would be announced. The Agent tells them he wants money more fair for the slot he was selected. The other selections in the draft would’ve already been made so ...how in the heck would it change your dray strategy? It couldn’t possibly unless Kjerstads agent told the Orioles immediately after the selection...something they clearly wouldn’t do. 

So you could pay a couple of later picks more money after yo7 had already selected them anyway?

Did you see the part where I said next draft?  It's kind of an important part.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Give me one example of it happening with a draftee.

I'm pretty high on the Orioles aren't spending bandwagon and if it came out that a draftee changed their contract demands after being selected I'd 100% be on the team's side.

I'm also guessing that their advisor would drop them like a hot potato as they would like to continue in the business.

there were at least 10!

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/top-10-mlb-draft-holdouts-of-all-time/

9 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:
  1. Didn't sign
  2. Isn't about contract demands at all
  3. Didn't sign
  4. Player backed down
  5. Maybe the player won?  Hard to say because of the circumstances.  The player didn't change demands after being drafted that I can tell which is what you are advocating.
  6. Didn't sign
  7. Didn't sign
  8. Didn't sign
  9. Didn't sign
  10. Didn't sign

None of the 10 involved a player changing his demand after being drafted and the team agreeing to the higher number.

If anything this list shows that teams will let a player walk.

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:
  1. Didn't sign
  2. Isn't about contract demands at all
  3. Didn't sign
  4. Player back down
  5. Maybe the player won?  Hard to say because of the circumstances.  The player didn't change demands after being drafted that I can tell which is what you are advocating.
  6. Didn't sign
  7. Didn't sign
  8. Didn't sign
  9. Didn't sign
  10. Didn't sign

None of the 10 involved a player changing his demand after being drafted and the team agreeing to the higher number.

Do you honestly believe that no drafted player has ever increased their demands after being selected? I think your pretty naive if you believe that. Quite frankly there have been a number of players that where drafted and never signed. So obviously MLB teams wanted to take lesser money. The slotting system in baseball in the Rule 6 draft is new and and therefore underslot tactics are as well.

In other sports, Players can force a team to deal them after being selected because they couldn’t agree or didn’t want to play for that team. 

2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Do you honestly believe that no drafted player has ever increased their demands after being selected? I think your pretty naive if you believe that. Quite frankly there have been a number of players that where drafted and never signed. So obviously MLB teams wanted to take lesser money. The slotting system in baseball in the Rule 6 draft is new and and therefore underslot tactics are as well.

In other sports, Players can force a team to deal them after being selected because they couldn’t agree or didn’t want to play for that team. 

I think you have failed to provide me an example of such a strategy working out for the player.

I'm not sure how players not signing doesn't help my cause more than yours.  You are the one suggesting that players can change their demands and that teams will agree to pay them the new amount.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I think you have failed to provide me an example of such a strategy working out for the player.

I'm not sure how players not signing doesn't help my cause more than yours.  You are the one suggesting that players can change their demands and that teams will agree to pay them the new amount.

Most teams don’t negotiate in the media so I doubt it would be easy to find. and as I suggested the slotting system is fairly new for MLB. As I’ve stated, I’m sure it’s happened.

5 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Most teams don’t negotiate in the media so I doubt it would be easy to find. and as I suggested the slotting system is fairly new for MLB. As I’ve stated, I’m sure it’s happened.

Why wouldn't a team go public with the information that a draft pick changed his demands?  If anything it puts the team in a better light.