Thorne, Bordick, Dempsey and Tom Davis amongst those let go

Sports Guy

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Were reports of Johnson’s demise greatly exaggerated?   As mentioned elsewhere, he did color commentary on today’s broadcast.     Seems unlikely he’d be doing a spring training game if he isn’t somewhere on the regular season broadcaster roster.    

By the way, I watched Wall to Wall Baseball this weekend, for the first time since it went back on the air a few weeks back.  Tom Davis was doing the broadcast from the showroom of one of his sponsors, Pete’s Cycles.    Big photo of a motorcycle on the wall behind him and his guest, and an array of motorcycles and equipment on the periphery of the set.  I guess he can’t afford a real studio now that he’s off the Orioles’ payroll.  He used the whole show to interview Al Bumbry for an hour, which was quite interesting.   I believe Davis said this was a departure from the usual format, so I guess there won’t be other long form interviews in the coming weeks, just the usual banter.  

I don’t think MASN has their studio anymore. Thought I read that. 

I also heard Brian Roberts on radio this spring. I thought he was gone as broadcaster but is an ambassador or something. Not sure if this is just a spring thing or not.  

1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

I also heard Brian Roberts on radio this spring. I thought he was gone as broadcaster but is an ambassador or something. Not sure if this is just a spring thing or not.  

I've seen reports that Brian Roberts will be on Thursday night's MASN telecast with Scott Garceau. Maybe Dave Johnson was a last-minute substitute for Ben McDonald today? McDonald tweeted that his wife had knee surgery yesterday.

7 hours ago, scOtt said:

And MY GOD Tom still has the sponsors! Long LONG commercial breaks.

Good for him! Good interviews with old players about the team now and the team then.

I ran into him in a deli about four years ago. I didn’t know Tom was there until I heard him talking and recognized his voice.

Nice guy and he’s tall about 6’3” from what I remember. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I ran into him in a deli about four years ago. I didn’t know Tom was there until I heard him talking and recognized his voice.

Nice guy and he’s tall about 6’3” from what I remember. 

Really? Ida guessed about 5'6". ?

• 3 months later...
8 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

If anyone wants a Thorne fix.

Yes please!  Thanks for the tip!

Gary with Keith Hernandez doing the color on the call for SNY.  Mets at Pirates and they are doing the call from Citi Field in NY so the Orioles are not the only team not sending their announcers on the road.  It ended up being a 3 1/2 hour 4-1 Pittsburgh win with a 29 minute rain delay in the 2nd inning.

Gary was a joy to listen to and as always brought the best out of his color partner.  There is no replacing his voice.  Of course there was the occasional gaffe like when he called the Mets the Orioles.  He caught himself quickly in the third inning after a batter walked and he said “two men on to start the inning for the Orio...METS”.  The second time coming out of commercial to start the top of the ninth it was inescapable when he said something like last chance for the Orioles then said, “sorry Mets” even Hernandez said Or-Oh!   Gary laughed and said “it was bound to happen.”   
This is must TV for this weekend!   I mean unless you prefer Hanser Alberto’s Royals taking their turn with us.
Yeah, put Gary & Jim back together!

2 hours ago, JimGinSP said:

Yes please!  Thanks for the tip!

Gary with Keith Hernandez doing the color on the call for SNY.  Mets at Pirates and they are doing the call from Citi Field in NY so the Orioles are not the only team not sending their announcers on the road.  It ended up being a 3 1/2 hour 4-1 Pittsburgh win with a 29 minute rain delay in the 2nd inning.

Gary was a joy to listen to and as always brought the best out of his color partner.  There is no replacing his voice.  Of course there was the occasional gaffe like when he called the Mets the Orioles.  He caught himself quickly in the third inning after a batter walked and he said “two men on to start the inning for the Orio...METS”.  The second time coming out of commercial to start the top of the ninth it was inescapable when he said something like last chance for the Orioles then said, “sorry Mets” even Hernandez said Or-Oh!   Gary laughed and said “it was bound to happen.”   
This is must TV for this weekend!   I mean unless you prefer Hanser Alberto’s Royals taking their turn with us.
Yeah, put Gary & Jim back together!

Yeah, but think of all the money the owner has saved and stuffed in his pocket by not bringing back Thorne. 

8 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

Yeah, but think of all the money the owner has saved and stuffed in his pocket by not bringing back Thorne. 

Not pocketing.  They are saving it all up to bring in a HUGE free agent announcer once we are ready to contend.

I can't reveal what my sources tell me so I'll just say that it rhymes with Tin Gully.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

Not pocketing.  They are saving it all up to bring in a HUGE free agent announcer once we are ready to contend.

I can't reveal what my sources tell me so I'll just say that it rhymes with Tin Gully.

Spin Tully? the Orioles are going to get the Spinner to announce their games? I'm impressed.