O’s Sign Galvis. 1/$1.25 million

LookinUp

12 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I posted some guys earlier in the with 55-60 ratings with glove and arm. Who cares if they werent ready to hit as we aren't trying to win. This guy is more expensive and his OBP is just over 300. As I mentioned later, I really dont care just seems like extra revenue when money appears to be tight.

Why do you keep harping on this? If the extra $1M mattered in this transaction, they wouldn’t have done it.  That 1M isn’t stopping them from doing anything else.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Why do you keep harping on this? If the extra $1M mattered in this transaction, they wouldn’t have done it.  That 1M isn’t stopping them from doing anything else.

I'm not .... I was responding to a post from another poster quoting a previous post of mine. You'd know that if you would have taken the time to look.

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

I'm not .... I was responding to a post from another poster quoting a previous post of mine. You'd know that if you would have taken the time to look.

You are harping on it.  You consistently bring it up.  You have in almost every post in this thread.  The money means nothing. Zero reason for you to discuss it in the evaluation of the deal.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, jerios55 said:

That's what Richie Martin was 2 years ago.

He was the best option (at least in the scouts eyes) and struggled mightily.  If the options this year weren't seen as strong a candidate as him, then teams passing on SS makes sense.

While they is no giant World Series aspirations this year, we should start seeing more and more young pitchers.  The known professional defender means more there than the chance of a rule V guy being on par.  I'm not excited about Galvis/Sanchez at the plate, but I do hope we'll see a lot of double plays.

This is what I think is most important about this signing. I like the idea of our pitchers having guys behind them who can help them out. Would hate for them to fall into bad habits or pitch poorly because they feel like they have to make every pitch perfect to avoid the ball going in play. In some ways, that's something I think Bundy benefitted from in leaving OPACY. Once his stuff deteriorated and he was a bit of a FB pitcher, that's gotta be really mentally taxing in Baltimore and affect what you throw and how you approach a PA.

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

I posted some guys earlier in the with 55-60 ratings with glove and arm. Who cares if they werent ready to hit as we aren't trying to win. This guy is more expensive and his OBP is just over 300. As I mentioned later, I really dont care just seems like extra revenue when money appears to be tight.

https://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/index.php?/topic/33581-where-would-richie-martin-fit-on-the-os-top-30/page/3/&tab=comments#comment-2399847

Richie Martin - A's #12/.807 OPS in AA/60 Arm/60 Field

https://www.orioleshangout.com/2018/12/10/lukes-2018-rule-5-draft-preference-list/

10    Richie Martin – Athletics – Utility IF

MLB quality defense at SS, plus speed, extreme groundball hitter, lacks the swing or strength to lift the ball. He’s not going to get many extra base hits at the MLB level, and will see his walk rate diminish. The quality of his defense should get him picked. He should be a useful glove first utility infielder but I wouldn’t count on everyday upside.

--------------------------------

Richie Martin was 60-60 (can't find a link to the outside source).  He wasn't ready overall and it did not go that way. 

Maybe it's better, but you are asking for Richie Martin and if all they saw was a lesser version, than seeing some site say rated 60 doesn't mean much.

5 minutes ago, jerios55 said:

https://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/index.php?/topic/33581-where-would-richie-martin-fit-on-the-os-top-30/page/3/&tab=comments#comment-2399847

Richie Martin - A's #12/.807 OPS in AA/60 Arm/60 Field

https://www.orioleshangout.com/2018/12/10/lukes-2018-rule-5-draft-preference-list/

10    Richie Martin – Athletics – Utility IF

MLB quality defense at SS, plus speed, extreme groundball hitter, lacks the swing or strength to lift the ball. He’s not going to get many extra base hits at the MLB level, and will see his walk rate diminish. The quality of his defense should get him picked. He should be a useful glove first utility infielder but I wouldn’t count on everyday upside.

--------------------------------

Richie Martin was 60-60 (can't find a link to the outside source).  He wasn't ready overall and it did not go that way. 

Maybe it's better, but you are asking for Richie Martin and if all they saw was a lesser version, than seeing some site say rated 60 doesn't mean much.

Sorry I dont have @Sports Guy's permission to discuss this subject with you because he's already provided his infinite wisdom on the matter.

Best,

John

• Downvote 1

18 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Sorry I dont have @Sports Guy's permission to discuss this subject with you because he's already provided his infinite wisdom on the matter.

Best,

John

Are you this much of a sensitive person in person or is this just the martyr role you love to play on message boards.  Either way, grow up and stop crying.  

What I said is the money means nothing yet you keep bringing it up.  It’s a dumb point to bring up within the context of this transaction, yet you have done it time and time again.  

2 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

I think our experience with Martin showed two things:

1.   A 55-60 grade for a minor league glove doesn’t always translate into an above average defensive major league SS.

2.   A bat can be a lot worse than what you get from a guy like Galvis.  

For $1.5 mm we got a competent defense-first SS.   That’s neither cause for celebration nor something to complain about.   

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

1.   A 55-60 grade for a minor league glove doesn’t always translate into an above average defensive major league SS.

For $1.5 mm we got a competent defense-first SS.   That’s neither cause for celebration nor something to complain about.   

Maybe your right ...but, you don’t care about winning , your goal is to infuse the organization with as much talent as possible, and just because Martin hasn’t developed into what you were hoping doesn’t mean the next guy will or won’t.

• 2 months later...

o

Move over, Rover ........ and let Freddy take over.

NUMBER 1  )))))) (vs. MARINERS, 4/15) )))))) [GAME TWO]

FREDDJOSGALVIS

FREDDJOSGALVIS

FREDDJOSGALVIS

FREDDJOSGALVIS

FREDDJOSGALVIS

FREDDJOSGALVIS

FREDDJOSGALVIS

o

On 1/29/2021 at 3:44 PM, Frobby said:

Since OFFNY bumped this thread I caught up on some of this discussion, and I'm wondering what I'm missing here. Our "experience" with Martin was one year, his first year playing anywhere above AA. He was brutally bad in the first half and then had an OPS+ of 89 in the second half, which happens to be a higher mark than Galvis's career OPS+. His September was maybe a small sample size mirage but it was legit good (11 for 29). He also looked a lot better with the glove in the second half. Then he missed all of 2020 with injury. Am I completely naive to want to see what Martin can do in a year that we all acknowledge is a lost year? Freddie Galvis is not very good, we're not getting anything meaningful at the deadline for him even if he runs into a few dingers, why are we saying "at least he's not Richie Martin" as if we're 100% sure what Richie Martin is?

5 hours ago, Moshagge3 said:

Since OFFNY bumped this thread I caught up on some of this discussion, and I'm wondering what I'm missing here. Our "experience" with Martin was one year, his first year playing anywhere above AA. He was brutally bad in the first half and then had an OPS+ of 89 in the second half, which happens to be a higher mark than Galvis's career OPS+. His September was maybe a small sample size mirage but it was legit good (11 for 29). He also looked a lot better with the glove in the second half. Then he missed all of 2020 with injury. Am I completely naive to want to see what Martin can do in a year that we all acknowledge is a lost year? Freddie Galvis is not very good, we're not getting anything meaningful at the deadline for him even if he runs into a few dingers, why are we saying "at least he's not Richie Martin" as if we're 100% sure what Richie Martin is?

I don't think you're completely naive, but Galvis is here on a one year deal.  Richie Martin will probably be with the organization next year.  I doubt Galvis will be.

So if Martin levels his game up this year while in AA or AAA, he might have a shot next year.  He'll be in his age 27 season.  Certainly not a prospect anymore but will have some room to grow.